Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davrum

MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

145 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If Floyd is really about that money, he'll take a dive in one of the middle rounds. That way we'd get a trilogy fight and my god would those purses be huge.

Mayweather likes money sure but he also really, really likes being undefeated. He's a dick in many ways but I could never see him taking a dive.

Speaking of Mayweather being undefeated this fight probably shouldn't count on his record really.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've seen a lot of speculation that McGregor might try to dirty this up. One interesting strategy was for McGregor to try and break Floyd's wrist/hand/arm what have you. Boxers typically don't target the other guys forearm, so Floyd might not see it coming. 

:lol: Yeah, that's not going to happen.

My prediction for the fight is it's going to go the distance and McGregor is probably not going to be able land a meaningful punch for the whole fight, pissing off pretty much everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Mayweather likes money sure but he also really, really likes being undefeated. He's a dick in many ways but I could never see him taking a dive.

Speaking of Mayweather being undefeated this fight probably shouldn't count on his record really.

If he takes a dive, he gets three nine figure pay days. That's the heady play.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

:lol: Yeah, that's not going to happen.

My prediction for the fight is it's going to go the distance and McGregor is probably not going to be able land a meaningful punch for the whole fight, pissing off pretty much everyone.

Probably. I sure as hell won't pay for the PPV, but if a bar has a $10 fee to watch, what the hell....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Controversial night of boxing last night. Ward beat Kovalev in what was another close fight but he was throwing a number of low blows the referee ignored and then the ref stepped in to stop the fight for body shots, which I don't think I've seen before. Add to that Rigondeaux had a controversial knock out which clearly came off a punch thrown after the bell, which should have been a no contest, but, in additional controversy, Malignaggi and Nelson seemed convinced Flores was faking the knock out although I'm not too sure about that.

On the positive side Bivol looked very impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Flores was definitely faking- he was hurt, but he went down awfully carefully and his sprawl was artful. Should still be an NC though (definitely not a DQ as some are calling for, since it wasn't deliberately thrown after the bell and Flores threw too).

The ref blew it on calling the low blows, but once he had assumed the shots were legal I don't think he had too much choice other than to stop it. Kovalev had stopped defending himself or fighting back, and you just can't do that.

Shame really coz Ward was looking like he could finish him without, we could have got something really memorable, but the low blows and the stoppage obscured it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think Flores was definitely faking- he was hurt, but he went down awfully carefully and his sprawl was artful. Should still be an NC though (definitely not a DQ as some are calling for, since it wasn't deliberately thrown after the bell and Flores threw too).

The ref blew it on calling the low blows, but once he had assumed the shots were legal I don't think he had too much choice other than to stop it. Kovalev had stopped defending himself or fighting back, and you just can't do that.

Shame really coz Ward was looking like he could finish him without, we could have got something really memorable, but the low blows and the stoppage obscured it.

 

 

Thing is, you stop a fight if the fighter is hurt, doesn't protect himself and is eating flush shot. You DON'T stop a fight from fricking body shots, especially when they are borderline lowblows... but hey, Ward can get away with anything in a ring, without even getting a warning.

I used to be a fan of Ward despite some of his dirty tactics, but no more. I just can't watch another of his fight, I'm done. When asked about fighting Kovalev a third time he said (I will paraphrase) '' No way. I doesn't make sense. Maybe if he fights Stevenson and gets the WBC belt, in 2 or 3 fights down the line yeah okay another fight for all the belts but otherwise no.'' When asked about Stevenson ? ''Stevenson says he wants to fight me, but I really don't know about that. I just don't think he does''

It's exactly like after the Super 6. During the tournament he kept saying the winner for sure would have to fight Bute for his belt. After he won ? '' Who did Bute beat ? That fight doesn't make sense right now. He should fight a top guy before facing me''

As far back as 2013 or 2014 he never fancied fighting Stevenson, and he's doing it again, exactly like he did with Bute. What did he do after Bute got stopped by Froch ? He was willing to give Froch a rematch (under his terms, like he was the A side...), even though the first fight never was close to begin with. There is a pattern. I doubt we'll see Ward in the ring with Stevenson, Beterbiev or Gvozdyk. I would happily eat my words if I'm wrong.

 

 

Edited by The Unborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0