MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If Floyd is really about that money, he'll take a dive in one of the middle rounds. That way we'd get a trilogy fight and my god would those purses be huge.

Mayweather likes money sure but he also really, really likes being undefeated. He's a dick in many ways but I could never see him taking a dive.

Speaking of Mayweather being undefeated this fight probably shouldn't count on his record really.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've seen a lot of speculation that McGregor might try to dirty this up. One interesting strategy was for McGregor to try and break Floyd's wrist/hand/arm what have you. Boxers typically don't target the other guys forearm, so Floyd might not see it coming. 

:lol: Yeah, that's not going to happen.

My prediction for the fight is it's going to go the distance and McGregor is probably not going to be able land a meaningful punch for the whole fight, pissing off pretty much everyone.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Mayweather likes money sure but he also really, really likes being undefeated. He's a dick in many ways but I could never see him taking a dive.

Speaking of Mayweather being undefeated this fight probably shouldn't count on his record really.

If he takes a dive, he gets three nine figure pay days. That's the heady play.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

:lol: Yeah, that's not going to happen.

My prediction for the fight is it's going to go the distance and McGregor is probably not going to be able land a meaningful punch for the whole fight, pissing off pretty much everyone.

Probably. I sure as hell won't pay for the PPV, but if a bar has a $10 fee to watch, what the hell....

Controversial night of boxing last night. Ward beat Kovalev in what was another close fight but he was throwing a number of low blows the referee ignored and then the ref stepped in to stop the fight for body shots, which I don't think I've seen before. Add to that Rigondeaux had a controversial knock out which clearly came off a punch thrown after the bell, which should have been a no contest, but, in additional controversy, Malignaggi and Nelson seemed convinced Flores was faking the knock out although I'm not too sure about that.

On the positive side Bivol looked very impressive.

I think Flores was definitely faking- he was hurt, but he went down awfully carefully and his sprawl was artful. Should still be an NC though (definitely not a DQ as some are calling for, since it wasn't deliberately thrown after the bell and Flores threw too).

The ref blew it on calling the low blows, but once he had assumed the shots were legal I don't think he had too much choice other than to stop it. Kovalev had stopped defending himself or fighting back, and you just can't do that.

Shame really coz Ward was looking like he could finish him without, we could have got something really memorable, but the low blows and the stoppage obscured it.

23 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think Flores was definitely faking- he was hurt, but he went down awfully carefully and his sprawl was artful. Should still be an NC though (definitely not a DQ as some are calling for, since it wasn't deliberately thrown after the bell and Flores threw too).

The ref blew it on calling the low blows, but once he had assumed the shots were legal I don't think he had too much choice other than to stop it. Kovalev had stopped defending himself or fighting back, and you just can't do that.

Shame really coz Ward was looking like he could finish him without, we could have got something really memorable, but the low blows and the stoppage obscured it.

Thing is, you stop a fight if the fighter is hurt, doesn't protect himself and is eating flush shot. You DON'T stop a fight from fricking body shots, especially when they are borderline lowblows... but hey, Ward can get away with anything in a ring, without even getting a warning.

I used to be a fan of Ward despite some of his dirty tactics, but no more. I just can't watch another of his fight, I'm done. When asked about fighting Kovalev a third time he said (I will paraphrase) '' No way. I doesn't make sense. Maybe if he fights Stevenson and gets the WBC belt, in 2 or 3 fights down the line yeah okay another fight for all the belts but otherwise no.'' When asked about Stevenson ? ''Stevenson says he wants to fight me, but I really don't know about that. I just don't think he does''

It's exactly like after the Super 6. During the tournament he kept saying the winner for sure would have to fight Bute for his belt. After he won ? '' Who did Bute beat ? That fight doesn't make sense right now. He should fight a top guy before facing me''

As far back as 2013 or 2014 he never fancied fighting Stevenson, and he's doing it again, exactly like he did with Bute. What did he do after Bute got stopped by Froch ? He was willing to give Froch a rematch (under his terms, like he was the A side...), even though the first fight never was close to begin with. There is a pattern. I doubt we'll see Ward in the ring with Stevenson, Beterbiev or Gvozdyk. I would happily eat my words if I'm wrong.

On 6/15/2017 at 4:58 PM, Tywin et al. said:

If Floyd is really about that money, he'll take a dive in one of the middle rounds. That way we'd get a trilogy fight and my god would those purses be huge. 

I've seen a lot of speculation that McGregor might try to dirty this up. One interesting strategy was for McGregor to try and break Floyd's wrist/hand/arm what have you. Boxers typically don't target the other guys forearm, so Floyd might not see it coming. 

This is something I've been wondering about. If you kick someone in boxing, what happens? Do you get a warning or is it an automatic KO? If it's just a warning I could see McGregor throwing a leg kick early and taking the warning. After one kick McGregor could start feigning the kicks and put Mayweather in an unfamiliar situation. 

• 2 weeks later...

That Ward KO was really something, never seen that before. Hope Ward's alright though, he took some hard hits to the head after the canvas knocked him out. 

I thought the two judges scoring JoJo/Calvillo 30-27 was weird. She won, but not the second round. I had it 29-28 for Calvillo. 

Felt bad for Gunni too he looked like his soul left his body when that left hand landed. 

On 7/9/2017 at 7:23 AM, Castel said:

Romero doomed himself.It's one thing to take whole rounds off but his refusal to exploit Whittaker's clearly fucked knee is baffling.

Great fight though. These guys went at each other hard. 

They all do of course. But you'd look at Romero and think "who's going to beat him in that weight class" and then Whittaker manages it. It was close though.

• 2 weeks later...

DC was doing good and connecting some but Jones shows why he's the best in the world again. That kick was vicious. Big John was really slow with the stoppage too; Cormier was fucking done and he let him take like 4-5 shots too many.

It was also a relief to see Jones giving respect to DC after the fight. I was hoping he wouldn't say some cocky shit and be humble and he did. His post-fight interview was impressive and hopefully he has turned a big corner. I felt really bad for Cormier too because he was absolutely crushed. 

Cerrone-Lawler was good but obviously wish it was a 5 rounder.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

It was also a relief to see Jones giving respect to DC after the fight. I was hoping he wouldn't say some cocky shit and be humble and he did.

It was a relief, but given his history of being able to turn it on for the cameras while still being a dick behind, I'm not buying that he's a changed man just yet (though I have gotten the sense even recently that DC hates him more than he hates DC). I mean, he's still never really shown that he even understands what he did wrong, especially with the hit and run.

What a fighter though.

Woodley-Maia was dull as hell, though Woodley was impressive. Cyborg did what Cyborg was gonna do, and Evinger gets to go down and fight at her own weight in the UFC now so fair play to her. Oezdemir continues to surprise. Fuck, what if he sparks out Jones?

Cormier and Jones both landed some really good shots those first two rounds.

I thought Cormier might have a real chance here. But he took some severe punishment there.

The match I want to see now, like many others, is Jones vs Gustaffson.

As for the other matches, enjoyed the brawlfest between Cerrone and Lawler and was kind of surprised when it ended after 3 rounds, felt like a title fight.

Oezdemir clearly has some huge power there, that is the second time in a row he knocks out a very powerful guy in the first minute.

Finally able to post again. 

I don't believe for a second that Jones was being genuine after that fight. He's back to wanting to pretend to be the good guy I guess, but he's made it abundantly clear that he's a narcissist who's incapable of feeling guilty for his shittiness. I was glad to see him embrace the heel role a bit more in the lead up to this fight, like at least he was finally being honest about who he is. Anyway, I hope he keeps his shit together this time and we get to see some defenses. Garbage person or not he's still the best at what he does. 

Joe interviewing Cormier after that fight was shitty, but he's admitted that himself. That was really hard to watch, he was crushed. I hope this isn't the last we see of him, whether he moves up to HW or tries to make another run for the title. I had him winning the fight until he got caught. I think he could have done it. 

Apart from Cyborg/Evinger and Woodley/Maia the rest of the card and prelims were pretty fantastic. Ortega vs Moicana was a war. Cerrone & Lawler need to get the sequel as a Fight Night main event, it should have been five rounds. Unless they're gonna give Robbie the next title shot I guess, which seems ridiculous but who else is there right now? Everyone else in the top 5 is coming off a loss. Robbie/Woodley for the title and Masvidal/Wonderboy for the next challenger maybe? Knowing the UFC they'll try to get Cerrone in for the title against Robbie if he wins it back, back to back losses be damned. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

He's pretty much done now, right? White says Jones tested positive for some sort of steroid at 214. 

I said this last time. He'll be back with some bullshit about god testing him and being a changed man and somehow the fan base will eat it up and believe him. He'll get another shot when his suspension is up. However long that is. 

Fuck Jon Jones.

5 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I said this last time. He'll be back with some bullshit about god testing him and being a changed man and somehow the fan base will eat it up and believe him. He'll get another shot when his suspension is up. However long that is. 

Fuck Jon Jones.

If he's found guilty all his Jesus talk won't mean anything. He's potentially gone for four years regardless.

Game over.

Archived