Young Adult Books: Discuss!

LugaJetboyGirl

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 7:34 AM, kairparavel said:

I saw! I'm way ready. I'll read it next week then go back and read the full trilogy together. 

Suffice it to say the third book was...disappointing. And we will hope good things for the Chaol book but I think she's got too much on the go now and the ToG will end just as voluminous, repetitive and rushed. And lacking satisfaction. Or it'll be great and the land will be a mix of various combinations of faw/witch/shapeshifter/human offspring the end. Anyways.

I'm am buying what this Barnes and Noble Teen blog is selling. And I have in fact bought some of these author's books - Renee Ahdieh, VE Schwab, Laini Taylor and of course Leigh Bardugo.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/teen/8-speculative-fiction-authors-whose-books-are-a-lesson-in-worldbuilding/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I managed to score a free e-book from BookShout for I can't recall why, so I downloaded Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima. I had started the book a little after it first came out but it didn't grab me and I moved on to other things. However, it seems well-regarded and her Seven Realms books are popular and this is spin-off of sorts that takes place after that series so...we'll see.

Last Tuesday A Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh was released and I'm looking forward to cracking it open. 

What's everybody reading YA-wise?

• 3 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, kairparavel said:

And now I've cleared the deck for Tower of Dawn coming out tonight. Happy Chaol Day, @lady narcissa!

I am actually not a Chaol fan so I am on the fence about this one.  If it gets a good number of good reviews...or perhaps even entertaining ones...I might check it out.  Are you reading it?  If so, let me know how it goes.  

On 9/4/2017 at 6:02 PM, kairparavel said:

I finished Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom this long weekend. Enjoyed them immensely. I would look forward to a movie version. And now I've cleared the deck for Tower of Dawn coming out tonight. Happy Chaol Day, @lady narcissa!

nnnnnngh. I still love that duology. Just did a reread and I still love how fucked up everything is in those books. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 11:03 PM, lady narcissa said:

I am actually not a Chaol fan so I am on the fence about this one.  If it gets a good number of good reviews...or perhaps even entertaining ones...I might check it out.  Are you reading it?  If so, let me know how it goes.  

I made it three chapters in and I've put it aside. I'll get back to it before the last book comes out. 

What I'm currently reading : Warcross by Marie Lu

What I'm waiting on: One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake - followup to Three Dark Crowns; All The Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater; The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo, which is a rare physical book purchase because it looks so pretty! 

What is piling up on my TBR from earlier posts: Hunted, Now I Rise, Flame in the Mist, This Savage Song/Our Dark Duet

Is anyone reading/read Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo?

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, kairparavel said:

Is anyone reading/read Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo?

I read it.  I got an arc of it so I had it early and it took me about two months to read it.  I just kept putting it down and then having to force myself to pick it up again and continue.  So essentially I didn't like it.  I liked Wonder Woman herself and the parts of the book that were on the island and about the other Amazons.  But most of the book she is off the island with other people helping out this one girl and that part just was not very interesting.  It read more like a treatment for a possible movie which given that its a DC book, well that is probably not far off.  I think Bardugo had to work within a lot of constraints by DC and probably had to stick to a certain set formula and include certain types of scenes.  It was disappointing.

The Language Of Thorns has four? of the Grisha novellas and a few new stories and the book is seriously gorgeous. As is the Target version which I may also pick up. Aaaaand today Leigh Bardugo announced King of Scars, about Nikolai Lantsov!

http://ew.com/books/2017/09/26/leigh-bardugo-king-of-scars-nikolai-lantsov/

• 2 months later...

I finished Warcross. It was an OK intro to however long this series will be. Much preferred the Young Elites but this story has potential.

One Dark Throne was better than Three Dark Crowns. It still feels like superficial storytelling but I'm curious enough to see how it all ends.

I hope to read a few more books between now and the new year. Started on Flame in the Mist. 

• 1 month later...

I feel like all in all its been a pretty dry run with no YA read in a while that has really called to me.  Well "The Bear and the Nightingale" by Katherine Arden ended that dry run.  YA Fantasy.  14th century rural countryside somewhere far outside Moscow.  New religion vs. old religion.  About the only thing I don't like about it is the title...which sounds cool but isn't really what the story is about as they are two side characters.  Its follow up "The Girl in the Tower" was not as good but still pretty good.

And then Holly Black's "The Cruel Prince".  Wow, I hated just about everyone in this book and it was very fairy and perfect in that.  Lots of shades of grey, there are no good characters in this story.  It's nice to have awful fairies.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:34 AM, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

@lady narcissa, what did you think about Scorpio Races? That is my favorite of Stiefvater's books. As a horse girl, if that book had been available when I was a kid, I would have lost my shit over it.

This was one of the few YA stories I enjoyed last year.  I really did not think I would like it as I've had such limited success with her novels.  But I guess both The Raven Boys and Scorpio Races were written back to back and both were stories she struggled to write over and over again since she was a teen.  So I guess that is why I love both these books so much.  I did not expect to like it because...horses.  I'm not an animal book reader.  But I loved it because it was really about the island and racing and the horses just happened to be the vehicle.  And they are killer horses, so awesome!  But I loved the island.  And I could just visualize it and I wanted to be there watching the killer horses race.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the killer horses were pretty killer. There are just not enough supernatural horses in stories these days. This is why I have longed to write a unicorn book that takes unicorns seriously (in the Peter Beagle sense). Anyways, I worked at a horse farm when I was a teenager so I really identified with Sean's part of the book.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2018 at 10:20 PM, lady narcissa said:

And then Holly Black's "The Cruel Prince".  Wow, I hated just about everyone in this book and it was very fairy and perfect in that.  Lots of shades of grey, there are no good characters in this story.  It's nice to have awful fairies.

I read The Cruel Prince last night, and I loved it. I quite literally start to finished it over the span of 12 hours because I wanted to know how it ended. Also it's a popular new release from the library and I ended up sitting on this for a bit and wanted to get it to the next person. Anyways, faeries are awful. Looking forward to the next installment. 

Also patiently waiting on The Hazel Wood to become available. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, kairparavel said:

I read The Cruel Prince last night, and I loved it. I quite literally start to finished it over the span of 12 hours because I wanted to know how it ended. Also it's a popular new release from the library and I ended up sitting on this for a bit and wanted to get it to the next Peyton. Anyways, faeries are awful. Looking forward to the next installment. 

Also patiently waiting on The Hazel Wood to become available. 

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed The Cruel Prince!  I'm curious to see where she goes with the story.

I've seen conflicting reviews of The Hazel Wood so I am on the fence about it.  I think I will wait and see what you think of it!

• 3 weeks later...

I got caught up the Fever UF series so I never finished The Hazelwood before my loan ended. I will continue it when my hold comes up again. 

Currently I'm listening to Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. I've been following her on Twitter for a while because she's awesome and her #SexyHistory lessons are great. Rebel Belle has been on my TBR for a bit also and I only put 2 and 2 together after I looked into her upcoming book Royals. All this to say that I LOVE this book. Part of it is the narrator and how she captures Southern Belle Alabama inflections but most of it is the writing. It's so charming! Paladins and mages and oracles and a private high school in a small Alabama town.

Definite recommend.

I also have the first available loan for Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi, which has been one of the most anticipated YA releases for this year. That's my weekend solved.

Archived