Why Do Bloodraven and Egg Call Each Other Cousin?

PrinceHenryris

At the end of "The Mystery Knight" Bloodraven and Egg both call either other "Cousin" and BR refers to Egg as "cousin" when talking to Dunk.

Isn't Bloodraven actually Egg's Great-Uncle(nuncle)?

Egg's grandfather Daeron was Bloodraven's (half) brother.  That makes Bloodraven Maekar's nuncle.  Which means that Egg and Bloodraven are uncle and nephew and not cousins.

Then again, we're dealing with Targaryeans, so who knows?

Egg's great-grandmother is Bloodraven's aunt. Therefore - cousins (first cousins twice removed specifically).

Yes BR is his great-uncle as well, but whether for simplicity or formality (nephew could be considered too familiar) BR chose to use cousin.

1 hour ago, Kienn said:

Egg's great-grandmother is Bloodraven's aunt. Therefore - cousins (first cousins twice removed specifically).

Yes BR is his great-uncle as well, but whether for simplicity or formality (nephew could be considered too familiar) BR chose to use cousin.

I agree, and it's more courteous to say "cousin" than "bastard half-uncle".  Shakespeare does it too - I just watched Richard II and the uncles and nephews were calling each other cousin.  I guess it's a less formal way of saying "kinsman".

40 minutes ago, maudisdottir said:

I agree, and it's more courteous to say "cousin" than "bastard half-uncle".  Shakespeare does it too - I just watched Richard II and the uncles and nephews were calling each other cousin.  I guess it's a less formal way of saying "kinsman".

Hmm... The George has alluded to Shakespeare in other spots, notably here and here. Perhaps this was an intentional allusion to Richard II? 

Archived