Wait that's Lord who's castle?

One-eyed Misbehavin

3 hours ago, Blue Tiger said:

I've tried as hard as I can, but I'm unable to make any sense of this OP.

What is your question/discussion topic?

Which characters we've seen in ASOIAF are or might be lords of some castles?

Basically I think they're asking people to point out characters that have gained titles or castles in the series that may have been easily missed or overlooked. For example off the top of my head Garlan is now lord of Brightwater, not something easily missed but I think that's what the OP means. 

7 hours ago, Scootaloo Stark said:

I usually forget that Sansa is a princess.

How does that work if she has been disinherited?  While we aren't certain who Robb named as his heir in his will, we do know that (per his conversation with Catelyn) he was concerned about a Lannister claim on the North, through the Tyrion marriage, and sought to name a new successor.  Would she keep the title of Princess?

Also, I'm not sure if TWOW spoilers are appropriate, but King Euron made a shit-ton of new Lords during his invasion of the Shield Islands. 

Stannis has claimed the Nightfort as his seat.  Even if he were to continue to hold Storm's End, his house is now House Baratheon of the Nightfort.  Which is weird, but he does seem to mesh well with the Northmen.

I keep forgetting that Ser Phillip Foote of the Westerlands now is the owner of Nightsong, the stronghold of House Caron and  that Ramsay still is lord of the Hornwood.

i suspect Lawrence Snow to try to take back the Hornwood in TWOW, and the lords of the Dornish Marshes will never accept an outsider in one of the strongest castles in the Marsh. 

3 hours ago, LindsayLohan said:

How does that work if she has been disinherited?  While we aren't certain who Robb named as his heir in his will, we do know that (per his conversation with Catelyn) he was concerned about a Lannister claim on the North, through the Tyrion marriage, and sought to name a new successor.  Would she keep the title of Princess?

Titles of prince and princess have little to do whether they are in line to inherit. It simply reveals they are a relation to a king (either children or siblings); that this person is to be considered a member of the royal family. Being disinherited does not mean you cease to be blood-relation, but that this person won't be considered an heir.

If that were the case then only the heir would have such a title, which isn't true.Duncan who married Jenny of Oldstones had to surrender the right to inherit the throne on account of his marriage, but he was still a prince afterwards.

After the news of Bran's and Rickon's death, Sansa would have been regarded the crown-princess. By disinheriting her, the sole thing that is dropped is the "crown" part. She'd be a princess again, if the next Stark is a King again.

33 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Since Gregor's death, if the Hound is still alive, would that make him the Master of their old lands? (Since I believe they were landed knights but he is not a knight, I am not even sure how that works)

Theoretically it would, though his liege (a Lannister) would probably regard the lands forfeited by Sandor, since he's wanted as a traitor against the crown, with the king's mother being Lady of the Rock. I'd say Sandor is in limbo status. If he manages to gain the favor of a high lord/king/queen who comes into power during a switch, then he has a very serious chance of beng appointed a keep or awarded his brother's lands. His father's status of landed knight makes him a noble status by birth and blood, albeit a low status, but enough to be elevated to a minor lordship in gratitude of whatever actions he may still do in the future by pretty much anyone in Westeros with the politcal power to grant lands.

At the moment he has renegade low nobility status, like Justin Massey and Richard Horpe stand to lose the status. The only way to preserve the recognition of the noble status of themselves and the continued existence of their house is through benig granted a keep or castle for their deeds, through marriage with a noblewoman or being made castellan of their lord or kings's/queen's castle. That's one of the reasons that Stannis for example wants the abandoned keeps and castles along the Wall, because his allied nobles lost their lands. If these men die without reacquiring some land, their house would be regarded as extinct.

Though the identity of the ward of Rosby is unconfirmed and the crown has not yet decided on who is the legal possessor of the Rosby lands, we can deduce that Olyvar Frey is the likeliest candidate, and since the ward obviously took possession of Rosby and physical posession still trumps a paper, we can consider Olyvar Frey as the non-canon Lord of Rosby.

11 hours ago, The Pimp that was Promised said:

I keep forgetting that Ser Phillip Foote of the Westerlands now is the owner of Nightsong, the stronghold of House Caron and  that Ramsay still is lord of the Hornwood.

i suspect Lawrence Snow to try to take back the Hornwood in TWOW, and the lords of the Dornish Marshes will never accept an outsider in one of the strongest castles in the Marsh. 

Very nice

17 hours ago, Trigger Warning said:

Basically I think they're asking people to point out characters that have gained titles or castles in the series that may have been easily missed or overlooked. For example off the top of my head Garlan is now lord of Brightwater, not something easily missed but I think that's what the OP means. 

That's correct and Lord Garlan is why I made this post.... Just seeing if I overlooked/didn't realize any others

7 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Though the identity of the ward of Rosby is unconfirmed and the crown has not yet decided on who is the legal possessor of the Rosby lands, we can deduce that Olyvar Frey is the likeliest candidate, and since the ward obviously took possession of Rosby and physical posession still trumps a paper, we can consider Olyvar Frey as the non-canon Lord of Rosby.

Interesting 

1 hour ago, Joe Yeardley said:

Assuming that Lady Bethany was indeed the heir of Rosby, then Olyvar's older brother Ser Perwyn Frey is the Lord of Rosby. Olyvar would be 3rd in line, behind his nephew and niece. Roslin would be next, interestingly. It seems odd to me that Lord Gyles had never named an heir; his death was a long time coming. 

Not quite applicable to the thread's subject, but I forget that Olyvar was older than Robb, but Olyvar was Robb's squire.

But I do recall that Cersei seems to think that Rosby's ward is not of Rosby blood. But that could just be misdirection on GRRM's part.

57 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Not quite applicable to the thread's subject, but I forget that Olyvar was older than Robb, but Olyvar was Robb's squire.

But I do recall that Cersei seems to think that Rosby's ward is not of Rosby blood. But that could just be misdirection on GRRM's part.

Doesn't she believe the ward is not of Gyles' blood? Pycelle seems to believe the ward either has a strong claim to Rosby (possibly the strongest) or a strong support base to help him hold it given that he brings up the ward everytime Rosby is mentioned. And everytime Pycelle tried to mention him, he got cut off by Cersei which prevented us from learning who it is which is what leads me to believe we either know him or have heard of him.

16 hours ago, The Pimp that was Promised said:

I keep forgetting that Ser Phillip Foote of the Westerlands now is the owner of Nightsong, the stronghold of House Caron

It's interesting that in A Dance with Dragons Appendix Rolland Storm, The Bastard of Nightsong and castellan of Dragonstone, is listed as Pretender Lord of Nightsong.

His current whereabouts are unknown but if he reappears to press his claim, he could cause Ser Phillip some problems. He is a stormlander, a seasoned warrior and is held in high regard by Davos and Stannis.

1 minute ago, Adam Yozza said:

Doesn't she believe the ward is not of Gyles' blood? Pycelle seems to believe the ward either has a strong claim to Rosby (possibly the strongest) or a strong support base to help him hold it given that he brings up the ward everytime Rosby is mentioned. And everytime Pycelle tried to mention him, he got cut off by Cersei which prevented us from learning who it is which is what leads me to believe we either know him or have heard of him.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. She makes an assumption based on the little information she allows herself to hear. And Cersei's habit of cutting off Pycelle has led to much speculation and theorizing on multiple subjects, mostly concerning the moon tea and Margaery.

But anyway: Brandon Tallhart, son of Leobold Tallhart, is now heir to Torrhen's Square, currently under occupation by ironborn.

Archived