Hypothetical: If Robert and Ned had survived

Robert returns from his hunt, Ned tells him about Cersei and Jaime, who have fled to Casterly Rock or Essos or wherever. Ned remains serving as Hand of the King.

Sometime later, Robert catches wind somehow that Jon Snow is Rheagars alleged son and orders him brought to court to die. Would Ned had stayed on as HotK after the execution? We know that he wished to serve so long as Robert would have him, even if that meant the King would do as he liked and everyone else would be left to pick up the pieces. He's just a soldier.

What at do you think?? I'm on the fence about it.

This is very hypothetical.

Tywin would not be able to handle the damage to his family and would have two options: kill his children or go to war.

Stannis and Renly would not be thinking about succession and highgarden would be with them as well as pretty much every other kingdown except maybe (very skeptical maybe) Dorne.

Lannisters would be ruined.

As for Jon, I think that Ned promised to keep him safe and that he has proven to hold that promise higher than his loyalty to Robert. But, I think he would be able to council Robert into accepting Jons oath taking the Black. Primary reasoning behind that being Aemon. If Robert returns from the hunt injured but heals, then we would also have Roberts admitting to Ned that he shouldn't have tried to assasinate Daenarys, so he has some change of heart.

So what does Robert do when Dany is actually powerful enough to strike the seven kingdoms? It's hard to say how much her story would be altered thus far. Tyrion may well have ended up with her earlier. But the Iron Fleet would certainly never come. However, I can't see (f)Aegon shifting course to invade Westeros because the landscape would not be ravaged and susceptible like it was in the books. So maybe they would unite their forces, conquer slavers bay, and live happily ever after. (Just kidding) After taking slavers bay, I could well see a blackfyre rebellion-esque invasion that would probably be the most threatening invasion since Aegon the conqueror, but ultimately I think that the current Baratheon dynasty would remain. Possibly with the help of Bran the three eyed raven.

Sad note: poor Arya would not go to Bravos, although she would likely continue her water dancing and be very very badass.

If Robert remarried, Rickon may end up marrying Roberts true born daughter. If Robert names a bastard true born then maybe Sansa marries him? Or Robb and May Stone? Idk, just trying to link all the characters at this point.

I think the question at hand is, what if the inevitable were delayed by a fortnight?  Remember that there are players and pieces.  Robert and Ned were pieces surrounded by players.  Ned and Cat, working together almost made a working player.  Ned alone was a chump and a half.  A true mensch, but a chump for all that.  

A little more time might have served Renly and the Tyrells; players all.  But Robert and Ned were lucky to live as long as they did.

6 minutes ago, Roose on the Loose said:

I think the question at hand is, what if the inevitable were delayed by a fortnight?  Remember that there are players and pieces.  Robert and Ned were pieces surrounded by players.  Ned and Cat, working together almost made a working player.  Ned alone was a chump and a half.  A true mensch, but a chump for all that.  

A little more time might have served Renly and the Tyrells; players all.  But Robert and Ned were lucky to live as long as they did.

I disagree. Maybe Robert remarries Marg, that was an actual idea of Renly and Loras(though I doubt they were the masterminds). The biggest variable would be LF. Because you know he would be trying to work his own angle. But I don't think that Robert and Ned would be killed off in a fortnight if they managed to kick the lannisters out of KL.

If I continue with my first posts' thoughts though, they may die eventually. I imagine that Jons path would not change much until after the ranging. A raven to Ned telling him what he saw would garner immediate results from the IT. So the wall would be well manned. But Robert would not be able to resist the urge to go fight the Others himself. He was never one to command from the rear. And I imagine Ned would be compelled to stay close to his friend and king. I imagine a massive battle and Robert/Ned both dying. Maybe Robert had an heir, maybe not. But the reality of the battle would strike home that the ambitions of "players" need to be sidelined until the Others can be defeated. Perhaps at this point the targa show up? Another king kneels before dragons. And Jon snow meets his relatives. Same song, different tune.

Shoot, maybe Robert kneels at the advice of Ned, because instead of dying in battle they witness tens of thousands of wildlings get slaughtered at the base of the wall.

If Robert called for Jon's head, we would have seen the end of the stark storyline unless Robert came TO WINTERFELL and taken him forcibly (Ned would choose Lyanna>Robert) no doubt in my mind.

Ned would die defending any of his children (but not their wolves which is completely different bc he didn't know what those wolves really were and kids are much more lovable) 

2 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

If Robert called for Jon's head, we would have seen the end of the stark storyline unless Robert came TO WINTERFELL and taken him forcibly (Ned would choose Lyanna>Robert) no doubt in my mind.

Ned would die defending any of his children (but not their wolves which is completely different bc he didn't know what those wolves really were and kids are much more lovable) 

Eh, it'd be a different Northern Independence revolt, possibly sans riverlands. Jon's namesake raised his banners at the unjust demand of Robert's predecessor for the execution of two young lords - does anyone think that a softie like Ned wouldn't do the same?

The North bent the knee to the Targaryens to spare their army and because they can't survive Winter if their castles are all burned down. Without Dragons, there's nothing to stop the Starks from fighting like the Dornish or real-life Russia: a big, cold land enemy armies get swallowed up by. Without the Riverlands for Ned / Robb to defend and possibly without any Stark hostages, Robert's war might go very poorly for him.

Archived