Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

So I was trawling through Wookiepedia looking for names for my latest D&D character and it turns out that in the old EU the precusor to the Jedi was called the Je'daii, which was an order of force users who didn't differentiate between light and dark sides of the force in terms of good and evil. There was 3 divisions or schools of though, the dark siders, called the Bogan, the light siders, called the Ashla, and those that followed a middle path, a balanced path, who were called, Bendu. Also, the original draft of Star Wars, the Jedi were known as the Jedi Bendu.

Kind of cool seeing ways that the old EU canon is still finding ways to crop up. Now if we can just get some of that sweet sweet Boba Fett action...

So watching this episode after having seen FPJ's comments about Kanan already, was I the only one who was struck by how Kanan seemed to be dipping into the dark side at the end with Sabine there?

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

So watching this episode after having seen FPJ's comments about Kanan already, was I the only one who was struck by how Kanan seemed to be dipping into the dark side at the end with Sabine there?

Maybe more "darkside training techniques" than darkside.Now you mention it the scene was quite similar to Darth and Palpatine's encounter with Luke where they tried to make him angry.

Is anyone else hoping that some of the Phantom Crew die by the end of the series? I would personally like to see both Kanan and Ezra killed. I have two reasons: They are both uninteresting and unoriginal characters, and their very existence contradicts the original movies without bringing anything positive to the Star Wars Universe.

1 hour ago, Gronzag said:

Is anyone else hoping that some of the Phantom Crew die by the end of the series? I would personally like to see both Kanan and Ezra killed. I have two reasons: They are both uninteresting and unoriginal characters, and their very existence contradicts the original movies without bringing anything positive to the Star Wars Universe.

It seems likely they will die but so should Ahsoka if we're defending non-contradictions. I think you're being a bit harsh on those characters because unless you are drawing from the extended universe Ezra is the only character I'm aware of that has training in both the ways of the Jedi and the Sith (anakin was a Jedi before he turned to the darkside). He actually resembles Kylo Ren in that sense but Ezra was out before him. So having someone who may be a dark and light user of the force is kind of interesting especially if he has a part to play in Kylo's story. He may even tie in with Snoke in some way.

But I agree that by the end of the series I expect some of the crew won't have made it. Kanan seems the most likely as loss of a mentor seems to be a tradition in star wars. It would actually be a nice change if the master had to deal with the loss of an apprentice. I guess Luke has that in spades and look how he handled it.

15 hours ago, karaddin said:

I think so, yes. But I think it plays to the idea that Kanan is moving Grey, as opposed to light or dark.  I suspect it will play into the ties of whatever has been going on with Luke in the new films...and will help to explain why he and Ezra and maybe Asoka are not around for the original trilogy...

As Grey Force users, they won't technically be Jedi, so Luke gets to keep the "New Hope" title...

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I think so, yes. But I think it plays to the idea that Kanan is moving Grey, as opposed to light or dark.  I suspect it will play into the ties of whatever has been going on with Luke in the new films...and will help to explain why he and Ezra and maybe Asoka are not around for the original trilogy...

As Grey Force users, they won't technically be Jedi, so Luke gets to keep the "New Hope" title...

Yeah, I definitely don't think he's heading for a fall in the old sense, although I think Ezra will at least pass through there.

On 27/01/2017 at 5:29 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Jedi semantics - hate it.

Even if they are Grey force users you'd think they'd come in handy in a rebellion. I'd take 2-3 gray force users over a rookie jedi-in-training any day. I just hope they come up with a good reason for why this is the case. Being dead is an easy out but having the 3 of them take a stance along the lines of "Light/Dark divide is the problem - we won't help either" could be interesting.

I still think Kanan will die, and most likely at the hands of Vader. When Rex said in the Geonosis episode "Yeah, but he is no Skywalker" to me that sealed his fate.

I think that line has two meanings:

1) Unlike Anakin, he won't fail the ones he cares for, thus he won't turn to the dark side, and most likely will sacrifice himself for them

2) While his skills as a Jedi have increased considerably since season 1, he will still fall short if he faces Vader, which I think will happen, and he will die. 

I am also thinking that a cool direct tie-in between Rebels and Rogue One would be the reason why Vader was in the bacta tank - he had just fought duel with Kanan, where he killed Kanan, but suffered an injury.

On 1/27/2017 at 8:42 AM, Gronzag said:

I've said it before, but both Kanan & Ezra will die in canon timeline before Empire. Or at least they both should.

As Luke zips off Dagobah in ESB, Ben famously says to Yoda Luke is their last hope and Yoda says there's another Skywalker, who we later find out is Leia. But neither Ben nor Yoda mention another Jedi. I mean, you can sort of ret-con that conversation by explaining Yoda meant only another Skywalker could stop Vader, but that's some next level BS right there, IMHO.

Personally I hope we get a standalone film where we see Vader hunt down Jedi and battle Ahsoka, Ezra, and Kanan. It could take place right before Rogue One and work. @Corvinus had a good idea there with the bacta tank scene in R1. Okay, I'll stop now because I'm sliding down the fan-fic slope of doom now.

I mean, that comment is clearly in the context of 'restoring balance' and 'defeating vader and the emperor'. If Kanan/Ezra/Ahsoka have no ability to do that, and you know they cannot, then they're hardly another hope and can be ruled out. The 'last of the jedi shall you be' line is the one that's more problematic here, but I think Ahsoka at least has more than enough separation from the order for that to not be an issue. It doesn't mean force user, its specifically a way of being that she has rejected and its definitely possible Kanan and Ezra will too. Yoda on the other hand believes in that way utterly, it is what he wants to restore. As long as you show why they a) don't classify as jedi and b.) aren't using their force powers to aid the rebellion I think you're fine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2017 at 3:42 PM, Gronzag said:

Both of them and Ahsoka (assuming that she survived the events of the second season) must die by the end of the series.

I think that they missed a trick by 'killing' Ahsoka instead of Kanan in the second season. She was a much more interesting character, and far more powerful in the force which would have likely meant that Ezra would have got a better training.

Regarding S3E15

Damn. That ending was bittersweet. I hate to see Sabine leave the crew. Kinda wish they would've went a different way though if they were gonna have her leave the Rebellion to stay with her family anyway. She should've dealt Saxon a death blow while fighting and not just got him on his knees to set up that cliched moment when we think the hero gets shot in the back but really it's the villain that gets killed. If they were gonna keep Sabine intertwined in Mandalor politics anyway, why not let her truly be the one to wield the Dark Saber and begin to lead her people? It kinda felt like a step back from the progress she made with Kanan's training last episode.

Moving with the result of last night, we'll that technically gives the way out for some of the crew, why they're not around later on post ANH. Sabine is on Mandalore...I'm certain she's not staying there, but it would work.  Do something similar with Zeb. We know Chopper and Hera are at Yamin, and fought in the battle during Rogue One...it's always been having Kanan and Ezra that are the problems with how the show ends...

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I hate to see Sabine leave the crew.

Yeah. Hopefully she'll still effectively be a regular, since individual episodes focus on different characters anyway.

She should've dealt Saxon a death blow while fighting and not just got him on his knees to set up that cliched moment when we think the hero gets shot in the back but really it's the villain that gets killed.

Or she should have been expecting the shot, and deflected the bolt back at him herself. Turning your back on a humiliated and armed enemy of dubious honour isn't exactly a smart move.

why not let her truly be the one to wield the Dark Saber and begin to lead her people?

I'd be surprised if she doesn't end up doing that eventually. Though I guess she did explicitly reject the "Mandalorian Way", which doesn't seem like a step towards their leadership...

Archived