Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

44 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Oh and let us not forget that this first gathering was at Dantooine...

Yeah, that was the big thing I noticed. We're on a clear schedule now that has cleared up my post Rogue 1 question - Dantooine base is started before Chopper Base is destroyed, so I expect to see the Yavin base established in season 4 in parallel with Dantooine and the latter is abandoned just before they get up to R1.

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yeah, that was the big thing I noticed. We're on a clear schedule now that has cleared up my post Rogue 1 question - Dantooine base is started before Chopper Base is destroyed, so I expect to see the Yavin base established in season 4 in parallel with Dantooine and the latter is abandoned just before they get up to R1.

It would be another really cool tie-in if they had the Rebels crew be the ones to start the Yavin base upon fleeing from Chopper base/Thrawn. Especially with the Rebels easter eggs from Rogue One being on Yavin.

Just now, Joe Pesci said:

It would be another really cool tie-in if they had the Rebels crew be the ones to start the Yavin base upon fleeing from Chopper base/Thrawn. Especially with the Rebels easter eggs from Rogue One being on Yavin.

It's certainly lining up for that to be possible. I'm not sure if Yavin fits the profile that Thrawn laid out of 'proximity to Lothal', but perhaps they're forced away from that particular fight after this season anyway? Where is that map I saw a couple of weeks ago.

20 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I expect to see the Yavin base established in season 4 in parallel with Dantooine and the latter is abandoned just before they get up to R1.

I expect Dantooine to be abandoned fairly early on; it's "been deserted for some time", which suggests a lot sooner than just before Rogue One.

28 minutes ago, felice said:

I expect Dantooine to be abandoned fairly early on; it's "been deserted for some time", which suggests a lot sooner than just before Rogue One.

Good point, I was misremembering the comment from ANH. Maybe Dantooine lasts as the main rebel base during s4 with the Ghost crew establishing Yavin during that time, then Dantooine is abandoned early s5 and R1 takes place at the end of s5. Would give the time to still introduce Cassian (which they've not said anything about, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't at least have a cameo), more Saw, confirm that it's crystals that make Lothal important and have something prevent mining there leading to the Imperial presence on Jedda in R1. Perhaps Kanan and Ezra do something that ruins all the crystals on Lothal?

15 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yaaaasssss...follow up a fantastic episode with another flipping fantastic one...and pulling so many threads together to show how we got to, at least, Rogue One, if not the original trilogy as a whole...

Agreed! Loved all the Mon Mothma stuff and how this crucial character to the Rebellion is getting her due. And was I the only one who got a little choked up when that fleet, basically the same one that showed in Rogue One on Scarif, appeared outta hyperspace?

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Agreed! Loved all the Mon Mothma stuff and how this crucial character to the Rebellion is getting her due. And was I the only one who got a little choked up when that fleet, basically the same one that showed in Rogue One on Scarif, appeared outta hyperspace?

I didn't choke up at all, but I did start laughing hysterically, which is what I do when I feel certain emotions like that. I find it mostly happens during powerful speeches and epic events.

Last two episodes have been really good, Thrawn seems to be a legitimate threat to the characters which is pretty unusual for a kids show, a genre that tends to be populated mostly with bumbling fools who the heroes always outwit with even the most outlandish plots. The fact that Thrawn hasn't been neutered has been really well done.

4 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I didn't choke up at all, but I did start laughing hysterically, which is what I do when I feel certain emotions like that. I find it mostly happens during powerful speeches and epic events.

Last two episodes have been really good, Thrawn seems to be a legitimate threat to the characters which is pretty unusual for a kids show, a genre that tends to be populated mostly with bumbling fools who the heroes always outwit with even the most outlandish plots. The fact that Thrawn hasn't been neutered has been really well done.

I do wonder if kids enjoy the recent episodes as much as we are? There's a lot of continuity and relatively complicated plots going on of late. I probably shouldn't underestimate kids but I think at a young age I'd probably miss out on a lot of the larger story arcs and just enjoy lightsabre fights and things blowing up.

I agree with others that Rebels seems to have gained the trust of the Star Wars regime in that they now trust it with dealing with quite important moments and developing the lore of the franchise. This show and Clone Wars is what makes me want to see more Mandolorians in the films - not so much Bob Fett but their species/society. And it's definitely setting up a lot of jedi/sith lore for spin off films to play off of down the road.

As long as the rumoured show between VI-VII doesn't come at the cost of this show - I'd be really looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Actually it wasn't exactly the fleet that was at Scarif. The corvettes yes, but if you look carefully you'll see a Mon Calamari cruiser that looks to be Akbar's Home One rather than the the Profundity, which was at Scarif. So I am wondering if we'll see Akbar in Rebels soon, and maybe get an explanation as to why he isn't involved in the Rogue One events.

It is always possible that the time of Rogue One, Akbar isn't an admiral yet.  ROTJ is a few years later from ANG, isn't It?

As to this being a "kids show", I think they've straddled the line well, but as this is a Disney XD show, I believe it's rather is more the 10 to 13 age range.  Kids likely to catch a little more.  

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I do wonder if kids enjoy the recent episodes as much as we are? There's a lot of continuity and relatively complicated plots going on of late. I probably shouldn't underestimate kids but I think at a young age I'd probably miss out on a lot of the larger story arcs and just enjoy lightsabre fights and things blowing up.

My boys (11 and 9) are really enjoying Rebels this season. They never cared for Clone Wars and showed only passing interest in Rebels before Vader started showing up.

They're not in tuned to all the nuances of the connective tissue, but they recognized Saw, Organa, and Mon Motha. They keep asking "Is this still before Rogue One?" So, having R1 sort of jump ahead of Rebels confused them a bit, I was able to explain the timeline to them.

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As to this being a "kids show", I think they've straddled the line well, but as this is a Disney XD show, I believe it's rather is more the 10 to 13 age range.  Kids likely to catch a little more.  

That age group should be able to appreciate the more complicated aspects. I was lapping up X-men around that age (which seemed to be epic with it's 5 part stories at the time and ongoing arcs)

51 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

My boys (11 and 9) are really enjoying Rebels this season. They never cared for Clone Wars and showed only passing interest in Rebels before Vader started showing up.

They're not in tuned to all the nuances of the connective tissue, but they recognized Saw, Organa, and Mon Motha. They keep asking "Is this still before Rogue One?" So, having R1 sort of jump ahead of Rebels confused them a bit, I was able to explain the timeline to them.

That's cool that having Vader and now Rogue 1 characters have given it a boost with the young uns.

There are some more indications that they may be revisiting the Old Republic era as well. I can't remember the specifics, but one of the recent novels wanted to use a line of dialogue that would be attributed to Revan/Someone else from that era and not only weren't allowed to directly quote but couldn't even refer to the era. No idea if it would be a KOTOR movie, a redo of KOTOR as a game or what...but I'm up for it whatever it is.

10 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Actually it wasn't exactly the fleet that was at Scarif. The corvettes yes, but if you look carefully you'll see a Mon Calamari cruiser that looks to be Akbar's Home One rather than the the Profundity, which was at Scarif. So I am wondering if we'll see Akbar in Rebels soon, and maybe get an explanation as to why he isn't involved in the Rogue One events.

Yeah, not exactly, but pretty damn close. Pablo Hidalgo confirmed as much in Rebel's Recon. The Scarif fleet was of course larger than the one that showed up this episode.

16 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I didn't choke up at all, but I did start laughing hysterically, which is what I do when I feel certain emotions like that. I find it mostly happens during powerful speeches and epic events...

Damn, man. Funerals and weddings must suuuuck for you. ;)

13 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Yeah, not exactly, but pretty damn close. Pablo Hidalgo confirmed as much in Rebel's Recon. The Scarif fleet was of course larger than the one that showed up this episode.

Damn, man. Funerals and weddings must suuuuck for you. ;)

Only when someone makes a particularly touching speech. I'm not great at handling overwhelming emotions.

On 3/7/2017 at 7:43 PM, GrimTuesday said:

Only when someone makes a particularly touching speech. I'm not great at handling overwhelming emotions.

Well thank the Maker this week's episode (S3E18) was droid-centric and free of overwhelming emotions. If anything, it was too corny. I think we got a preview for DROIDS: THE MUSICAL though. 

smh

I should come here and praise the series every week because it has been outstanding so far, but instead, I am going to focus on this last episode as being by far the worst of the entire series. If I never see a singing AP-5 again it will be too soon. I'm glad we are coming down to the Maul/Kenobi confrontation and then the finale though. I just wish they would have put out a better effort than this. 

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Well thank the Maker this week's episode (S3E18) was droid-centric and free of overwhelming emotions. If anything, it was too corny. I think we got a preview for DROIDS: THE MUSICAL though. 

smh

I don't know, there was something about Chopper and AP-5's journy that really hit me right in the feels :rolleyes:

There was something bizarre about this show, it feels like whenever they really start to take steps forward in terms of a storyline, they stick some weird filler episode in there that kind of kills some of the momentum. Having looked at the episode list, its not true, but man, it sure feels like that.

It wasn't a bad episode, per se...

The whole control ship felt like a weird add on to the Empire capabilities...has anything like that ever been about before?

Otherwise, the episode as a whole felt like something that belonged more in the earlier part of the season, rather than near the end.

And as to the kids show discussion up above, Hera sure doesn't give to much regarding Empire lives, does she...?

I might just skip this episode. I don't like AP-5 as I'm too distracted by the fact he sounds like Jemaine Clement in "flight of the conchords" mode doing an impersonation of Alan Rickman. And I've yet to be entertained by the light hearted droid episodes.

Archived