Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I read in an interview the other day that they originally planned to have Vader kill him in that season two episode. They wanted to focus on Ahsoka instead so he was spared. 

I am glad that they didn't let Vader kill Maul. Maul was always Kenobi's kill. I don't think that he should have ever been revived, but at last they did the right thing by letting Kenobi kill him again.

2 hours ago, Leofric said:

I wondered if this was to have the Ghost crew be able to tell Leia where to look for Obi-Wan, but then I remember Bail sent her for Obi-Wan and he already knew he was on Tatooine.

How great would it be to have Ezra tell Bail Organa about Obi-Wan only to have Organa explain he already knows...

One issue - Luke appears absolutely tiny! It looks like they've forgotten that there are steps down to the dome entrance so the visible part is only about a metre above ground, and that Luke is the same age as Leia who we saw last season.

I thought S3E19 was a great episode. I agree w/ the others who liked how short the final battle was. If you watch Rebel's Recon, the writers mention how it was a definite 7 Samurai homage, hence the short battle and prolonged stances prior to Maul's first strike. They were both playing out the battle in their minds beforehand. Maul even tries the same move he used to kill Qi-Gon on Kenobi with the hilt punch, and Kenobi anticipated the move and finished Maul off once and for all.

And that last scene hit me right in the feels. Two times. Dat music.

18 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

...And lastly, Ezra shouldn't have been in the episode at all. It should have been just Obi-Wan and Maul the entire episode. Instead we got just a little bit of that and instead got to see Ezra trek trough a desert for the majority of the run-time. It was great example of how the need to always involve the Ghost crew can hurt an episode.

I disagree. The show is about this particular groups of Rebels/Ghost Crew. So it would've felt weird to just shoe-horn in Maul v Kenobi w/out Ezra. I thought it was very clever how they got everything tied-in and connected. Kenobi knew where Maul was the whole time but avoided him due to his commitment to protect Luke. Maul had to draw Kenobi out somehow and well intentioned but naive Ezra was the perfect patsy.

4 hours ago, felice said:

One issue - Luke appears absolutely tiny! It looks like they've forgotten that there are steps down to the dome entrance so the visible part is only about a metre above ground, and that Luke is the same age as Leia who we saw last season.

Why do you ruin everything?!?! Why! This is why we can't have nice things! *slams bedroom door and cries on bed*

11 hours ago, felice said:

Was He? It was so distant. And if he was, I didn't make the connection at all...

11 hours ago, felice said:

Isn't Ezra the same age too (or do they just share a birthday). But the silhouette did give the impression that luke was ickle. Then again he was just a country boy with no big worries at the time. Sort of sad to see how it's only a few years until his foster parents are toast.

8 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I thought S3E19 was a great episode. I agree w/ the others who liked how short the final battle was. If you watch Rebel's Recon, the writers mention how it was a definite 7 Samurai homage, hence the short battle and prolonged stances prior to Maul's first strike. They were both playing out the battle in their minds beforehand. Maul even tries the same move he used to kill Qi-Gon on Kenobi with the hilt punch, and Kenobi anticipated the move and finished Maul off once and for all.

And that last scene hit me right in the feels. Two times. Dat music.

I disagree. The show is about this particular groups of Rebels/Ghost Crew. So it would've felt weird to just shoe-horn in Maul v Kenobi w/out Ezra. I thought it was very clever how they got everything tied-in and connected. Kenobi knew where Maul was the whole time but avoided him due to his commitment to protect Luke. Maul had to draw Kenobi out somehow and well intentioned but naive Ezra was the perfect patsy.

Yeah, I agree they have to try and involve the ghost crew somehow but it wasn't perfectly executed here. I hope this isn't the last we see of Ben otherwise it's a bit of a shame the amount of disinterest he has in Ezra. Although as far as we know Kenobi maybe knows a lot more than we realise and limiting his interaction with Ezra may be wise/for the better.

I read that they used Ezra's model for the distant figure, so it's not actually child size. I think they had him running inside when called? I think that's what makes him look smaller, thats a reaction that reads smaller child not angsty teen... Who would probably drag their heels in defiance.

On 22/03/2017 at 2:38 AM, felice said:

Trivial, certainly. It just struck me as weird when I watched the episode.

it certainly seems to be the talking point of the episide now :P

So next week is a double episode finale - I guess I'm not alone in thinking this season will end on a low note for the rebellion? I'm surprised Ahsoka has stayed "presumably dead" all season and guess it'll stay that way. It feels like her story is Vader linked now and surely the finale will be Thrawn centred? I wonder if Callous will make it out alive as there's a good chance the rebellion will think he's betrayed them if Thrawn doesn't dispose of him.

Got a chance to watch the last two episodes finally.  Two ends of the spectrum - I thought the droid episode was awful, while the recent one with Maul was decent.  First...the droids episode....how did the Stormtroopers not notice the red lights blinking when Chopper when through the detector?  And then the stereotypical behavior of the Imperials in the ship not wanting to alert anyone else, but capture the droids themselves.  And how was it that Hera was able to blow up that ship just by sending some feedback through Chopper?!

Anyway...the recent one with Maul was decent.  Although I have to say, since I've not watched all of Clone Wars, Maul's survival from Phantom Menace still seems a little fan-servicy to me.  This episode sure seems to have kicked off (or stirred up) the "Is Anakin or Luke the Chosen One" debate.  Personally, the idea of "The Chosen One" and prophecies in the Star Wars universe has never sat well with me...but like many things from the prequels, I guess we're stuck with it.  Still wondering where Ezra and Kanan will end up when all is said and done - Obi-Wan seemed pretty blase about having another potential Jedi in his presence.  It's curious that Obi-Wan seems to know who Ezra is...wonder what his source of info is?

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

First...the droids episode....how did the Stormtroopers not notice the red lights blinking when Chopper when through the detector?

I assumed they did notice, were aware it had been reported to the proper authorities, and were told not to respond.

And then the stereotypical behavior of the Imperials in the ship not wanting to alert anyone else, but capture the droids themselves.  And how was it that Hera was able to blow up that ship just by sending some feedback through Chopper?!

I didn't have a problem with them wanting to get the credit, but blowing up the ship did stretch credibility a bit.

Anyway...the recent one with Maul was decent.  Although I have to say, since I've not watched all of Clone Wars, Maul's survival from Phantom Menace still seems a little fan-servicy to me.

Watching Clone Wars doesn't make his survival any more plausible, though they do make good use of him. I would have liked him to stick around longer in Rebels.

It's curious that Obi-Wan seems to know who Ezra is...wonder what his source of info is?

Force visions, I assume. And from what Obi-wan said, it sounds like his absence from the preparations for the assault on Lothal could have serious repercussions.

10 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Got a chance to watch the last two episodes finally.  Two ends of the spectrum - I thought the droid episode was awful, while the recent one with Maul was decent.  First...the droids episode....how did the Stormtroopers not notice the red lights blinking when Chopper when through the detector? 

8 hours ago, felice said:

I assumed they did notice, were aware it had been reported to the proper authorities, and were told not to respond.

I assumed the scanner had been set by the intelligence group to act as a silent alarm instead of its proper alert mode, so the Stormtroopers weren't aware it had gone off but the intelligence operatives were.

20 hours ago, felice said:

Force visions, I assume. And from what Obi-wan said, it sounds like his absence from the preparations for the assault on Lothal could have serious repercussions.

Hmmm...I think I must have missed that innuendo with Obi-Wan talking to him.  I'll have to rewatch that bit.   

ETA:  Ah yes, Obi-Wan told him several times that this (Tatooine) is not where he was supposed to be.  Interesting to see where this goes...I would think Obi-Wan would be nervous that Ezra would blab about this existence.  

19 hours ago, HokieStone said:

ETA:  Ah yes, Obi-Wan told him several times that this (Tatooine) is not where he was supposed to be.  Interesting to see where this goes...I would think Obi-Wan would be nervous that Ezra would blab about this existence.  

It would have been hilarious if Kenobi had killed him.

And that is why Ezra wasn't in Rouge One.

Archived