Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

Just watched Rogue One on Amazon Video. I kept pausing in the final scenes of the space battle, to see if the Ghost appears again. I can confirm that when the Death Star arrives, the Ghost is still in one piece, but after I don't spot it anymore. It is not among the ships that make the mad dash to hyperspace when Vader's ship arrives.

5 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Did Hera just call Kanan "Love"?

I heard that too. I will say I always got kind of a coupleish vibe from them so it doesn't feel jarring, but it was unexpected.

Good season, though I was kind of hoping that something would happen that would either cause Thrawn to lose favor, or him dying/being so badly injured he is incapacitated for the rest of the war, so that his absence isn't felt missed in the stuff later in the timeline. That said, I liked how this was a pretty dark ending. No one important died, but they certainly aren't in a better place than they were before. Kind of feels like the end of Empire.

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

No one important? Sato?

He was important to the larger story, but in terms of this show, in terms of the crew of the Ghost, he is a secondary character at best. Great death scene though, really well done.

6 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

He was important to the larger story, but in terms of this show, in terms of the crew of the Ghost, he is a secondary character at best. Great death scene though, really well done.

You gave to put this into greater context though.  On shows such as this the core characters never die (I now fully expect Ezra and Kaman to disappear off in search of something else that can help...perhaps giving some extra weight to Yoda's comment of another, meaning that there is something more put there than just Luke, not actually Leia...). 

Thus when a character does die, it's got to be a significantly weighty secondary character.  Sato's end, brilliant in its way, also kinda mirrors some of what happens later in Rogue One, and it also is likely how we get General Sindula...small but significant story advances that continue tying things up towards Rouge One and A New Hope...

Finished this. Was expecting better, to be fair.

1) While it was a victory for the Empire, I wanted it to be a decisive victory, like destroying the majority of the Rebel fleet, and some of the characters dying. Ezra should have survived, but it was the perfect time to kill Hera and Kanan, destroy the majority of Rebels and the Emperor getting the impression that Rebellion is finished, and so sending Thrawn to some other mission (unknown regions?).

2) I am tired of the ultra powerful characters that occasionally come. The Ones episodes in the original TV show were a bit shit, and in my personal canon I remember them more as the metaphysical fight of Anakin with himself, rather than those events really happening.

3) There was absolutely no need to make Thrawn a fighter. We already saw that Rebels can survive against those characters (Grand Inquisitor, Vader). Also, the Thrawn that we know from books wouldn't leave his ship to lead the assault, instead he would command the assault from his ship and actually intercept Ezra and Sabine. Well, this is a younger Thrawn so...

All in all, a good season and Thrawn was way more interesting than the previous two main antagonists, but the finale could have been done better IMO. It is a shame that this show is mostly targeted at kids and so they didn't went very dark, but this season should have been more closer to Rogue One rather than The Empire Strikes Back.

1 hour ago, TheRevanchist said:

Finished this. Was expecting better, to be fair.

1) While it was a victory for the Empire, I wanted it to be a decisive victory, like destroying the majority of the Rebel fleet, and some of the characters dying. Ezra should have survived, but it was the perfect time to kill Hera and Kanan, destroy the majority of Rebels and the Emperor getting the impression that Rebellion is finished, and so sending Thrawn to some other mission (unknown regions?).

2) I am tired of the ultra powerful characters that occasionally come. The Ones episodes in the original TV show were a bit shit, and in my personal canon I remember them more as the metaphysical fight of Anakin with himself, rather than those events really happening.

3) There was absolutely no need to make Thrawn a fighter. We already saw that Rebels can survive against those characters (Grand Inquisitor, Vader). Also, the Thrawn that we know from books wouldn't leave his ship to lead the assault, instead he would command the assault from his ship and actually intercept Ezra and Sabine. Well, this is a younger Thrawn so...

All in all, a good season and Thrawn was way more interesting than the previous two main antagonists, but the finale could have been done better IMO. It is a shame that this show is mostly targeted at kids and so they didn't went very dark, but this season should have been more closer to Rogue One rather than The Empire Strikes Back.

I agree that characters should have died (Kallus mainly), but not Hera since her name is mentioned in Rogue One. Also if the majority of the Rebel fleet is destroyed here, they have no fleet for the battle at Scarif. This is only about 2 years before Rogue One/A New Hope.

Imo, the decision to have Thrawn go down on the planet was redeemed at the end with Bendu's prophecy. That's probably the main reason they did it. At this point I'm not sure we'll see Thrawn post Jedi, which is what I know most fans want.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I agree that characters should have died (Kallus mainly), but not Hera since her name is mentioned in Rogue One. Also if the majority of the Rebel fleet is destroyed here, they have no fleet for the battle at Scarif. This is only about 2 years before Rogue One/A New Hope.

Imo, the decision to have Thrawn go down on the planet was redeemed at the end with Bendu's prophecy. That's probably the main reason they did it. At this point I'm not sure we'll see Thrawn post Jedi, which is what I know most fans want.

'I see your defeat' could just mean the eventual defeat of Thrawn, or even loosely, the defeat of the Empire.

I don't think that we'll see Thrawn post-Jedi because I don't think that Heir to the Empire will ever be made as a movie, and while parts of those books might be canon/semi-canon, I don't think that it will be explored much further.

I don't remember Hera getting mentioned in Rogue One. Where did that happen? Did she survive?

Edit: Found it: http://dorksideoftheforce.com/2016/12/21/heres-when-the-next-3-star-wars-films-will-be-released/
The Ghost was there too.

I enjoyed the finale. There were some cool space battles and I enjoyed the foot soldier assault on the ship.

I think the rebels should have lost more in terms of their fleet and maybe even have some personnel captured. As it is I'm not entirely convinced the Emperor or Thrawn's higher ups would actually consider this a victory - given they lost a lot of important ships and failed to capture key rebels. I guess it all depends on Thrawns spin of events and whether the emperor thinks the empire can afford such losses as long as more damage is inflicted on the much smaller rebellion.

I also didn't want to see any of the main crew die as that would be too dark for a kids show (and I wouldn't like it either) although they did have me wondering about Kanan for a while after that buddy moment of having taught Ezra everything. Kallous could have died but I actually think it could be interesting to incorporate him into the Ghost crew at least until Sabine returns (if she ever does).

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I think if the character has proven popular this season then there's a really good chance he'll appear in the rumoured second clone wars spin-off that's supposed to be set between Jedi and Awakens. He could easily be involved in a pre Snoke capacity.

Although now he has a prophecy to deal with i suspect there's a good chance his fate will play out in this show. Which is fine as it means we'll get more of him.

I think this season was the strongest so far and I'm starting to get the impression that the Star Wars braintrust has enough faith in Filoni at this point to let him do more ambitious things and not be chained to a kid-friendly episodic format. Season four has the potential to be even more interesting although with the removal of Maul I feel they do need to bring in a dark side user as it's good to have that part of the show in play - especially with Ezra's dabbling in it.

Which reminds me of how when Kanan explained he only barely completed his training, I thought of how Maul beat Kanan relatively easily and how easily Kenobi beat Maul. Maybe Ezra really is in the minor leagues just from his training? It might be a good time to bring Ahsoka back in as the fact she was holding her own against Vader has me thinking she'd have beat Maul relatively easily.

That Bandu seems so strong again reminds me of how i like the idea that those who use the force in a balanced way can actually be far stronger than the ones who go good/evil. I still think that's where Kylo Ren is going wrong. His purging of his light side actually made him weaker and his real strength comes from him having strong emotions on both sides. Although in his case they balance through conflict rather than Bandu's more collected sense of balance.

21 minutes ago, red snow said:

Which reminds me of how when Kanan explained he only barely completed his training, I thought of how Maul beat Kanan relatively easily and how easily Kenobi beat Maul. Maybe Ezra really is in the minor leagues just from his training? It might be a good time to bring Ahsoka back in as the fact she was holding her own against Vader has me thinking she'd have beat Maul relatively easily.

Are you referring to when he tricked him and threw him out the airlock? Because in the season 2 finale, Kanan having just been blinded by Maul beat Maul just as quickly as Obi-Wan did.

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Are you referring to when he tricked him and threw him out the airlock? Because in the season 2 finale, Kanan having just been blinded by Maul beat Maul just as quickly as Obi-Wan did.

Good point. I was actually thinking "he was blinded" as "he was beat" but I forgot about how he then remembered he was part of the matrix. I guess I will think of Kanan as being tougher than I give him credit - otherwise the conclusion is that Maul is a bit shit which would then make Qui-Gon a bit of a loser. I guess robo-leg/torso Maul may just be inferior to his whole version too.

On 3/25/2017 at 6:41 PM, Corvinus said:

Just watched Rogue One on Amazon Video. I kept pausing in the final scenes of the space battle, to see if the Ghost appears again. I can confirm that when the Death Star arrives, the Ghost is still in one piece, but after I don't spot it anymore. It is not among the ships that make the mad dash to hyperspace when Vader's ship arrives.

Oh God, if the series finale of Rebels is the Battle of Scarif form the POV of the Ghost crew and they all die in the battle then that could be one of the greatest finales in TV ever. Evar, I say!

As for the S3 finale, it was a bit anticlimactic. And a far cry from the epicness of the S2 finale. It was nice to see a larger space battle, Mando space assault, and get confirmation on the Hera/Kannan relationship. (Herannan? Kanera?)

4 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Oh God, if the series finale of Rebels is the Battle of Scarif form the POV of the Ghost crew and they all die in the battle then that could be one of the greatest finales in TV ever. Evar, I say!

As for the S3 finale, it was a bit anticlimactic. And a far cry from the epicness of the S2 finale. It was nice to see a larger space battle, Mando space assault, and get confirmation on the Hera/Kannan relationship. (Herannan? Kanera?)

I can remember the Mortal Kombat tv show from when I was a kid where it was clear they were given advanced notice of cancellation so they almost petulantly had the villain win and defeat/kill all the protagoists. Terrible show but "fun" bleak ending.

Not having the Ship present at least adds some suspense if the final episode(s) of Rebels involve the battle of scariff. They could actually have a lot of fun with it and have the rebels doing something equally/more important than the Rogue One folk. I'd need to see Rogue One again to see if it could fit but one good example could be an explanation for why we don't see much Vader - maybe he's more interested dealing with Ezra and Kanan? That would be pretty cool if his final scene in Rogue:One is him being pretty pissed at having just encountered Ezra.

15 hours ago, red snow said:

I can remember the Mortal Kombat tv show from when I was a kid where it was clear they were given advanced notice of cancellation so they almost petulantly had the villain win and defeat/kill all the protagoists. Terrible show but "fun" bleak ending.

Not having the Ship present at least adds some suspense if the final episode(s) of Rebels involve the battle of scariff. They could actually have a lot of fun with it and have the rebels doing something equally/more important than the Rogue One folk. I'd need to see Rogue One again to see if it could fit but one good example could be an explanation for why we don't see much Vader - maybe he's more interested dealing with Ezra and Kanan? That would be pretty cool if his final scene in Rogue:One is him being pretty pissed at having just encountered Ezra.

So Ezra and Kanan battle Vader somehow before he gets to the ship at the end of R1? That could be cool. 

I get the feeling from the interviews in Rebels Recon with the main writers for Rebels that they'd be okay with this show and the Ghost crew continuing on in the timeline parallel with Episode IV and beyond. However, two jedi that Kenobi knows of being around post New Hope doesn't gel. I think we'll see a S5 of Rebels, but I hope the series goes out with a bang like the crew in R1 did and not just fade away or leave things open ended.

8 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

So Ezra and Kanan battle Vader somehow before he gets to the ship at the end of R1? That could be cool. 

I get the feeling from the interviews in Rebels Recon with the main writers for Rebels that they'd be okay with this show and the Ghost crew continuing on in the timeline parallel with Episode IV and beyond. However, two jedi that Kenobi knows of being around post New Hope doesn't gel. I think we'll see a S5 of Rebels, but I hope the series goes out with a bang like the crew in R1 did and not just fade away or leave things open ended.

If it's feasible it would be a fun addition - maybe their encounter (or sacrifice) delays Vader just enough to allow the plans to escape. Now we know it was a very close thing it would make Kanan/Ezra essential too. Possibly a good way for Kanan to meet his end.

I need to rewatch Ezra and kenobi's meeting. I got the impression Kenobi wasn't that interested in him - odd given I'm sure he could tell he was a force user.

Here's a fun theory about Del Toro's role. It seems I'm not the only one thinking Ezra may appear in some capacity in the new films. I'd have to agree that Del Toro looks a better fit than Snoke, appearance wise.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I need to rewatch Ezra and kenobi's meeting. I got the impression Kenobi wasn't that interested in him - odd given I'm sure he could tell he was a force user.

Here's a fun theory about Del Toro's role. It seems I'm not the only one thinking Ezra may appear in some capacity in the new films. I'd have to agree that Del Toro looks a better fit than Snoke, appearance wise.

A couple thoughts.

1. Obi-Wan isn't too interested in Ezra, I'd agree with that assessment.  Obi-Wan, I'd say, has a tendency, like his master Qui-Gon, to take an idea and hold fast too it.  Obi-Wan believed that Anakin was the chosen one and subsequently that Anakin's son was so Ezra is inconsequential.  Yoda, however, has been interested in Ezra, though he knows that Ezra isn't ever going to be in Luke's power category.  However, when Luke runs off to Cloud City, Obi-Wan despairs at the last hope, but Yoda knows there is another...

2. While I'm not 100% sold on "dark Ezra" in the theory presented, it is very solid.  Couple that with the idea of Rebels ending at Scarif, possibly being a delaying tactic on Vader, resulting Ezra going into hiding...intriguing...

39 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

A couple thoughts.

1. Obi-Wan isn't too interested in Ezra, I'd agree with that assessment.  Obi-Wan, I'd say, has a tendency, like his master Qui-Gon, to take an idea and hold fast too it.  Obi-Wan believed that Anakin was the chosen one and subsequently that Anakin's son was so Ezra is inconsequential.  Yoda, however, has been interested in Ezra, though he knows that Ezra isn't ever going to be in Luke's power category.  However, when Luke runs off to Cloud City, Obi-Wan despairs at the last hope, but Yoda knows there is another...

2. While I'm not 100% sold on "dark Ezra" in the theory presented, it is very solid.  Couple that with the idea of Rebels ending at Scarif, possibly being a delaying tactic on Vader, resulting Ezra going into hiding...intriguing...

1. obi wan can get a bit fixated on chosen ones. It might also be that he senses Ezra could go dark although the signs are more that Ezra is headed towards being a balanced user (or mixes both aspects).

2. I guess Ezra could be captured eg at Scariff and becomes Vader's prisoner/apprentice. That would maybe allow room for him not being completely dark - even if del Toro says he's playing a villain.

I think I'd like to see Ezra become a force user who thinks light and dark is part of the problem but I guess that could also make him an atagonist in the future.

Archived