Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

Late response, but I'm really glad that Kallus made it. 

Killing off the characters is not a good move if you have been developing them for a great deal of time and they are still relatively dynamic. 

For similar reasons, I'm rather sad that Maul got the (I assume, final) chop. He was unstable enough to be interesting, and I enjoyed his scenes with Ezra. He was one of the few characters that really seemed capable of provoking and challenging him. Could have had a deepening effect on Ezra's characterisation. Don't think there are any obvious candidates to take over that role. Hondo, a bit, but Hondo's played more for laughs. The death scene itself was good, but I would rather sacrifice the short-term excitement to the long-term development of the show. 

Ummmm..spoilers, Entertainment Weekly?

Spoiler

In a brief article about a series of upcoming animated shorts focused on the women of Star Wars, the article mentions that Hera will be joining Han and Leia on Endor during ROTJ...all the short stories are to be considered canon...

Need to see if I can find an actuallink...I'm reading it in the actual magazine...

44 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Reveal hidden contents

In a brief article about a series of upcoming animated shorts focused on the women of Star Wars, the article mentions that Hera will be joining Han and Leia on Endor during ROTJ...all the short stories are to be considered canon...

Need to see if I can find an actuallink...I'm reading it in the actual magazine...

Related:

http://www.cbr.com/star-wars-rebels-could-confirm-fan-theory-about-rex/

53 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'll put the link in a spoiler just to be safe

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Huh. I had zero recollection of that bit character from ROTJ, but I guess there are people who get paid now to go and give those types of characters back stories and connect them to existing characters, etc. There is a part of me that is kinda like, "This is all revisionist BS." I'm leaning a bit to the dark side Red Letter Media fanboy POV on this expanding Star Wars universe stuff. I'm sure TLJ will bring me back to my unadulterated fanboy love of the new stuff in the franchise though.

55 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Huh. I had zero recollection of that bit character from ROTJ, but I guess there are people who get paid now to go and give those types of characters back stories and connect them to existing characters, etc. There is a part of me that is kinda like, "This is all revisionist BS." I'm leaning a bit to the dark side Red Letter Media fanboy POV on this expanding Star Wars universe stuff. I'm sure TLJ will bring me back to my unadulterated fanboy love of the new stuff in the franchise though.

It is called writing. All of this stuff is make believe. There is no reality to revise. It is just good writing to notice that a bit character looks an awful lot like another character you are writing about and combining them. After all, the grey beard rebel on the moon of Endor never had a back story before this.

17 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Star Wars Rebel panel didn't disappoint me again. The big news is that it will be the last season and that Warrick Davis has signed on to play Rook, Thrawn's assassin henchmen. The new trailer looks great.

You mean Rukh? ARRGGHH.

MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU'VE NEVER READ THE NOVELS:

Rukh was Thrawn's bodyguard in the Zahn novels. When he learned that Thrawn had betrayed the Noghri, he killed him completely without warning on the bridge of Thrawn's Star Destroyer. I hope they keep Thrawn's last line the same if they're doing the same thing.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

You mean Rukh? ARRGGHH.

MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU'VE NEVER READ THE NOVELS:

Hide contents

Rukh was Thrawn's bodyguard in the Zahn novels. When he learned that Thrawn had betrayed the Noghri, he killed him completely without warning on the bridge of Thrawn's Star Destroyer. I hope they keep Thrawn's last line the same if they're doing the same thing.

Oh shit! That is so gangster. I never read the books, but I started reading the old Dark Horse adaptation of them, and it's honestly been slow going with even those b/c honestly those comics are kinda blech. But this SWCO weekend news and that spoiler has rekindled my interest in starting back up with them.

On 4/14/2017 at 11:50 PM, Howdyphillip said:

It is called writing. All of this stuff is make believe. There is no reality to revise. It is just good writing to notice that a bit character looks an awful lot like another character you are writing about and combining them. After all, the grey beard rebel on the moon of Endor never had a back story before this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the writing on Rebels. Even though the aesthetic of the CGI animation took a while to grow on me, I was always down with the writing form day one. I appreciate how this show made me fall in love with NEW characters in the SWU in a way that Episodes I-III never really did (save for Padme & Maul).

As for the S4 trailer and the news this is all ending, it looks like Thrawn is now gonna be the end-game for our Phoenix Squadron crew in S4. We know from Rogue One that Herra  and Chopper survive S4 (It was confirmed that she's the Gen. Sendulla being paged on Yavin 4 base & Chop has on-screen cameo time), but from the way that trailer is set up and the voice over, I'd be surprised if any of the rest of the original Ghost crew make it out of S4 alive. I really would've liked five or six seasons with this show, but at the same time I'm looking forward to seeing if/how the story ends for some of these great new characters like Kannan, Ezra, Zeb, and Sabine.

• 1 month later...

So this isn't specifically Rebels but the thread is tagged as spoilers for everything, and it seems more into bringing in Legends material and looking at where the franchise is going, so...

I just watched an absurdly long yet fantastic break down on the philosophy of Kreia and the importance of The Exile that really fleshed it out for me. It quite thoroughly went into the dualistic failings of the sith and the jedi (and is one of a few pieces of media I've consumed recently that really pointed out how bad a philosophy of self sacrifice actually is) and really had me quite convinced by her philosophy at the end. Not necessarily that she is right, but that she's more right than the jedi or the sith. Given the clear love for that era by Filoni and Hildalgo and the still outstanding mystery of the female sith in the holocron, I wouldn't be surprised if this is more of the material they're pulling into Rebels/TLJ with a new approach to the force.

• 3 months later...

I dig that new S4 trailer. Bummed we've got another 6 weeks or so to wait. And the loth-wolf seems to figure much more prominently. We still on that theory it might be reincarnated Ahsoka?

On 5/29/2017 at 8:28 PM, karaddin said:

So this isn't specifically Rebels but the thread is tagged as spoilers for everything, and it seems more into bringing in Legends material and looking at where the franchise is going, so...

I just watched an absurdly long yet fantastic break down on the philosophy of Kreia and the importance of The Exile that really fleshed it out for me...

Sounds interesting. Gotta link?

And since we're on the topic of larger SWU philosophies, to me it feels like Lucasfilm is moving away focus from the Jedi/Sith dynamics and philosophies regarding the force. At first I thought the inclusion of "force sensitive" characters was a practical decision meant to keep the force going in post Episode III/Order 66 canon. However, the training of Sabine by Kanan in Rebels S3, Maz in TFA, and that Last Jedi trailer have me wondering if the Lucasfilm story group isn't just planting seeds for a new organized group of force users to emerge in the next wave of films, post Episode IX. Perhaps it'll be something similar to, but not as restrictive or as religious as the Jedi--more military based in it's teachings and practices.

I'm not sure whether I should post this, but... A while ago, someone was annoyed and couldn't get over the fact that Maul survived being cut in half. Well, it turns out that's not so uncommon. Just google "Survived being cut in half" and you'l get plenty of examples.

Warning: very graphic!

• 1 month later...

The new season kind of sneaked up me, totally forgot that it was airing around now. I really liked the first two episodes that were released, I always love shit with Mandalorians, nothing better than watching a bunch of Mando Commandos wrecking shit. I kind of feel like this should have been towards the end of last season, as this felt like the culmination of Saben's Mando sub-plot, but we will see.

Still think it is shitty that they made the Fetts not Mandalorians, it was just one of those things that fans came up with that was cool, but instead the new canon crew took a giant shit on it.

Archived