Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

Finally got around to watch the first 2 episodes. Not bad as story goes. Mandalore is a cool culture to explore, and there was some good character development. But Mandalorian jetpacks are way overused. I don't think that's what Lucas intended when he gave Boba Fett a jetpack.

One cool piece of info about these episodes: in case you didn't recognize his voice, that was Tobias Menzies who played Governor Tiber Saxon.

Yeah, they've stacked the Mandalorians with Rome alumni, its a good effort. I enjoyed the episode a lot. The macguffin of the weapon was a little cheesey, and if it weren't a kids show I'd guess that Sabine's mum and brother would be toast, but it still worked for me. Loving having Bo'Katan back, she was fantastic in this and that last scene where she accepted the Dark Sabre was worth the double episode even if it hadn't been good.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Damn, I second that. And I'm even a week behind you. It looks like I've got four episodes to catch up on, and that's my kinda problem.

It took me by surprise too. It seems to have been ignored by a lot of the entertainment sites I usually visit as well. Good news is I'll have several episodes to watch.

I don't know what the old air time was for Rebels, but I'm guessing it's at 9 PM EST now because they're going to be a bit more severe this season. My personal theory is that Kanan and Ezra will die as a sacrifice to protect Lothal, although I suppose if Disney wanted to avoid that, the two could get sent on some years-long mission into the Unkown Regions instead.

I was pleased to see how Kanan was able to remain calm while everyone else was blinded by their anger during this last pair of episodes. One of the big themes of Clone Wars was how the Jedi Order wandered into moral ambiguity by letting politics affect their decisions. I think what we're seeing here are Jedi that will do what they think is morally right, regardless of outside pressure.  

Didn't realise the second part was here already. Pity Ezra and Sabine won't have a more extended sojourn with Saw, but it was a fun episode nevertheless. 

Feels like the clock is ticking for the crew of the Ghost though - the introduction of the Death Star makes it feel as if the game is nearly up.

I hope the gloomy predictions about the death of absolutely everyone except Chopper and Hera aren't proved right. I like the "found family" vibe they have. 

Chopper was magnificent, as ever. If he was a human, he'd be a grumpy Zorro. 

Sabine is extremely likely to survive - they've spent a lot of time setting up her character and future plot for her, not to mention a character for younger girls to relate to is good for merchandise sales. I also think Ezra will survive, but I think Kanan is throwing off doomed vibes. They're setting up the tragedy of him and Hera too much this season, and he's the one that's actually a Jedi.

37 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Sabine is extremely likely to survive - they've spent a lot of time setting up her character and future plot for her, not to mention a character for younger girls to relate to is good for merchandise sales. I also think Ezra will survive, but I think Kanan is throwing off doomed vibes. They're setting up the tragedy of him and Hera too much this season, and he's the one that's actually a Jedi.

So you think Sabine might appear in a future spin-off? Perhaps set between RotJ and TFA?

3 minutes ago, dog-days said:

So you think Sabine might appear in a future spin-off? Perhaps set between RotJ and TFA?

Yeah, it's not certain but I think it's likely. If the next project is between OT and ST I think it likely she'll be used similarly to Ahsoka. There's also potential for other side stories - while she gave the dark saber to Bo Katan we had a lot of set up, including an exchange between Bo and Fenn, setting up that it will return to her and she will be the future leader of Mandalore.

On 25/10/2017 at 6:41 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don't know what the old air time was for Rebels, but I'm guessing it's at 9 PM EST now because they're going to be a bit more severe this season.

I don't know... I've found it very noticeable this season that they're only using lightsabers to cut guns in half rather than actually hurt anyone, which doesn't seem entirely compatible with a darker storyline.

I caught up on the first four episodes of S4. And I gotta say, I hope we're done with Mandalore. I wasn't a Clone Wars fan coming in to Rebels, so I didn't have any attachment to these Mandalore characters. And the whole Mandalore plot I felt should've gone somewhere more definitive with Sabine. It felt like a cop-out for her character to not remain on Mandalore or at least take a stronger part in it's restructuring or rule. Especially since they had Kanan build her up through the dark saber training, then return to save her homeworld only to reveal she was some sort of Erso level Oppenheimer with pink hair. Those two episodes just felt uneven.

S4E3-4 though where Rebels doing what Rebels does best--fill in the gaps and add more backstory and depth to the classic trilogy. Loved Mon Mothma, loved Saw, loved the corny satellite dish gags, just great all around.

19 hours ago, felice said:

I don't know... I've found it very noticeable this season that they're only using lightsabers to cut guns in half rather than actually hurt anyone, which doesn't seem entirely compatible with a darker storyline.

I also noticed how Ezra wasn't killing stormtroopers unnecessarily. I admit, this approach tot he storytelling was a gripe of mine int he earlier seasons. However, I realized that avoiding killing the troopers seems like a legit jedi thing to do. Only kill when necessary. If he can achieve the same objective without taking a life then he won't. Makes sense. In the same episode they showed a handful of troopers falling to their deaths off the satellite dish, so they will kill troopers.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:21 AM, felice said:

I don't usually stray into this thread, given its rebellious nature, but, to use an apt quote from The Big Lebowski regarding your observations about the use of lightsabers-FUCKIN' AMATUERS!, here's hoping the Jedi dude voiced by Buffys husband loses a toe!.

I just realized we're almost halfway through the season. They are really flying through the story.

When I saw only Hera and Chopper get on the shuttle, I wondered if that's the last time she sees Kanan and Co, as those two are the only ones mentioned in Rogue One...

As for the last episode, does anyone else see Ezra's choice to not act even worse than using his lightsaber to end the fight?

I bet Hera's attack on Lothal is what gets her promoted to general.

And it does seem more and more that Kanan's fate is sealed. Though I have feeling he might remain on Lothal for the rest of the war.

Also, I think because Rukh was introduced, that Thrawn will survive Rebels, survive the Galactic Civil War, and that he will re-appear in the next animated series, where his fate will be similar to Zahn's trilogy.

Archived