Ft Lauderdale airport shooting

all swedes are racist

27 minutes ago, r'hllor's dirtbag lobster said:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/06/508559491/reports-of-shots-fired-at-airport-in-fort-lauderdale-fla

five dead, eight injured, possibly still active situation?

don't even really know what to say 

MSNBC, as of 15 minutes ago is reporting the shooter in custody.

I live about 20 minutes from the airport. Weird feeling considering my parents just flew home out of there yesterday, and almost booked for today instead. Hoping these reports of multiple shooters are untrue and the situation is contained. 

So CNN reports that the shooter, Esteban Santiago, flew in from Alaska, via Canada, on a Canadian airline. He checked his gun in on boarding the plane, and checked it out again when collecting his luggage. He then went to a bathroom and came out shooting - apparently mostly at people who had been on the flight with him.

He then apparently handed himself over to police.

A lot of people seem to be hung up on the fact that he flew in via Air Canada like that somehow matters. But you are allowed to fly with firearms and ammunition (stored separately) in checked luggage. And is thus likely the reason he apparently went to the bathroom and then came out again firing. 

----------

And now Air Canada Tweets the identified shooter (name at least) and guns were not on the flight to Fort Lauderdale. I'm not sure why the need for damage control immediately. But, do as they will. The luggage carousel was shared with Delta flights from what I've read. But again, the airline itself is irrelevant. 

Just now, kairparavel said:

A lot of people seem to be hung up on the fact that he flew in via Air Canada like that somehow matters. But you are allowed to fly with firearms and ammunition (stored separately) in checked luggage. And is thus likely the reason he apparently went to the bathroom and then came out again firing. 

Correct. People fly with firearms all the time. Sport shooters travelling to international events, hunters, etc. It just needs to be properly checked in and out of your reach while on board the plane.

Just now, Free Northman Reborn said:

Correct. People fly with firearms all the time. Sport shooters travelling to international events, hunters, etc. It just needs to be properly checked in and out of your reach while on board the plane.

Yes.  I've dome this quite a few times myself.  It's not a big deal.  

6 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

It is still illegal to kill people with firearms and ammunition, though isn't it? Or has the NRA arranged that bullets have the right to self determination as to what tissues they would like to embed themselves in or pass through?

1 minute ago, Weeping Sore said:

It is still illegal to kill people with firearms and ammunition, though isn't it? Or has the NRA arranged that bullets have the right to self determination as to what tissues they would like to embed themselves in or pass through?

Oh jeez....  That didn't take long.

13 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

Oh please. Hardly my point. I'm not with the NRA. I was suggesting that the fact that it was a flight from outside the US was irrelevant. People travel with firearms in luggage. THAT is what is legal, as long as it was stored per regulations, and permits etc yadda to local regulations at end of travel. Not the act of firing on travelers at the baggage claim.

But congrats on your razor sharp witticisms. 

7 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Oh please. Hardly my point. I'm not with the NRA. I was suggesting that the fact that it was a flight from outside the US was irrelevant. People travel with firearms in luggage. THAT is what is legal, as long as it was stored per regulations, and permits etc yadda to local regulations at end fo travel. Not the act of firing on travelers at the baggage claim.

But congrats on your razor sharp witticisms. 

I didn't take you as an NRA advocate and assumed you were merely stating fact. My mistake was in airing my frustrations with the normalization of gun culture in the form of a response to your post.

Somewhat bizarre fact about it all, Ari Fleischer (yeah, that one) was the first to break the news; via Twitter.

I'm at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Shots have been fired. Everyone is running.

Apparently he was extremely close by, and there's a good chance he could've been shot himself; except he stepped into a bathroom moments beforehand.

Archived