Taboo: Tom Hardy's historical drama (BBC1/FX) [spoilers]

AncalagonTheBlack

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

As per his will, it would go to the Americans. Which makes me believe it's an American attempt to frame him.

I wasn't certain if the lands of those convicted of a capital offence would be forfeited to the crown at this point. It seems a rather convoluted way for the Americans to get Nootka if Delaney could have been killed himself, given that he had passed out drunk.

15 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

I wasn't certain if the lands of those convicted of a capital offence would be forfeited to the crown at this point. It seems a rather convoluted way for the Americans to get Nootka if Delaney could have been killed himself, given that he had passed out drunk.

Seems like forfeiture was still a thing in Delaney's time. In that case, it was almost certainly the EIC Crown.

Bit disappointed with the demise of the worst husband ever (honestly don't know what his name is), but I was impressed with Zilpha's anatomical knowledge.

Slight overall improvement in the pace of the show and stuff actually happening.

I was convinced that the husband was Domhall Gleeson who is currently In Everything, but then realised it was actually Ser Hugh of the Vale from GoT S1. Who then got killed by Mrs. Robb Stark. That was odd.

Im gonna miss Winter, I cant believe they killed her off, she was way too good of a character to be discarded like that. I dont think Delaney did it, it was some kind of chicanery by the EIC no doubt, the bastards.

The EIC Director (High Sparrow) said "We will hit him where he's unprotected". I take that to mean the ship sinking and Winter being sacrificed because the EIC spies could see someone close to him they could get at.

What if Anne wasn't trying to drown James but was trying to make him immortal or something like that? Although it could mean that she wasn't entirely human.

Humor me for a moment. In geek mythology it happens twice in somehow similar way;

One is when Demeter, after her search for Persephone, became the nurse of Demophon the son of Celeus king of Eleusis and in order to repay for his hospitality she decided to make his son, Demophon, a god. She tried to do it by anointing him with ambrosia and putting him in the fire. His mother saw her and stopped her but Demeter could not undo what his mother had done, she had destroyed her son’s chance of being an immortal.

The other one is when Thetis, which have two variants, one is that Thetis tries to make her son Achilles an immortal and does the same thing with Demeter anointing him with ambrosia and putting him in the fire but she was found by her husband Peleus and she stopped and the other version is that she was dipping him in Styx to make him indestructible but she was holding him by the heel and that was the only part of his body that was vulnerable and we all know how that ended.

Now I most likely am wrong but it sounds similar to me.

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Im gonna miss Winter, I cant believe they killed her off, she was way too good of a character to be discarded like that. I dont think Delaney did it, it was some kind of chicanery by the EIC no doubt, the bastards.

The EIC Director (High Sparrow) said "We will hit him where he's unprotected". I take that to mean the ship sinking and Winter being sacrificed because the EIC spies could see someone close to him they could get at.

Looks likes she's still in the show after seeing the previews for next week's episode, but James does seem to be able to talk to the dead.

Better episode this week, but still some wasted scenes, mainly posing and posturing. James and Winter had one scene where they basically just stared at each other. Zilpha and Thorne still seem quite pointless, but at least Thorne is gone. Will James speak to him now that he's dead?

I liked the events at the mill(but not the chemists terrible marriage and children analogy. I had the same blank look in my eyes as his henchman) and the EIC finally doing something. However, the EIC still comes off as extremely incompetent.

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I didn't think that was Winter.... it didn't look like her.... but apparently I am wrong.... Maybe it was the angle

I hope it wasnt but i'm not entirely sure , it was kind of just a quick glimpse they gave us, maybe its meant to be a cliffhanger?

Still a little off to me. Didn't care for how easily the EIC was able to destroy his ship. You'd think it would be easy to trace it to them and the crown is after them as it is. The chemist using children as a metaphor was just stupid. Killing Winter sucks, to me it's obvious the EIC did it to set James up. Sad to say but I am glad there are only two episodes left. I will either be happy that these last episodes tied the season up and moved it along or happy it's over and I can forget about it.

7 hours ago, Triskan said:

ETA:  I do love that guy who plays the chemist who I only know from The Night Manager.

Was thinking this as I was watching it yesterday. I remember him being in Hanna also.

This episode did get better but I fear the damage has already been done. If the season was anymore than 8 episodes I would've most likely just bailed after episode 5. The mystique of Hardy's brooding nature is wearing out, and Oona Chaplin's wide eyed reaction to everything is just comical now. Glad the husband was finally killed but that whole storyline was just weird and boring. 

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Was thinking this as I was watching it yesterday. I remember him being in Hanna also.

This episode did get better but I fear the damage has already been done. If the season was anymore than 8 episodes I would've most likely just bailed after episode 5. The mystique of Hardy's brooding nature is wearing out, and Oona Chaplin's wide eyed reaction to everything is just comical now. Glad the husband was finally killed but that whole storyline was just weird and boring. 

Yeah. I found that her mysterty wore off pretty early on. Also, they have no chemistry which makes their interactions kind of tedious. I think she was better in GoT than this actually. Perhaps she had less weight to carry?

On 15/02/2017 at 11:33 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

is it getting any better; 5 episodes in and its much of the same 

I see the show as a spectacular example of trolling by Tom Hardy. The writing and plotting are pretty poor and the show is getting a lot of mileage out of moody cinematography and Tom Hardy acting the most Tom Hardiest he's ever been. The rest of the cast is pretty good (especially Jonathan Pryce, who is one of those actors who is Always Good In Everything) and the production values are pretty decent. Considering the entire series cost the same as one episode of Game of Thrones, they've certainly made something that looks impressive, although they saved an enormous amount by not employing any lighting technicians.

I'm wondering if Taboo could be the encapsulation of a new genre, "grimcamp".

Archived