Taboo: Tom Hardy's historical drama (BBC1/FX) [spoilers]

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I see the show as a spectacular example of trolling by Tom Hardy. The writing and plotting are pretty poor and the show is getting a lot of mileage out of moody cinematography and Tom Hardy acting the most Tom Hardiest he's ever been. The rest of the cast is pretty good (especially Jonathan Pryce, who is one of those actors who is Always Good In Everything) and the production values are pretty decent. Considering the entire series cost the same as one episode of Game of Thrones, they've certainly made something that looks impressive, although they saved an enormous amount by not employing any lighting technicians.

I'm wondering if Taboo could be the encapsulation of a new genre, "grimcamp".

Yeah; it's very grim and atmospheric and at the moment not much else...

I thought this weeks episode was good as the various plots finally started to come together. Much more action it seemed to me.

The whole plot with Zilpha feels completely pointless though

I like Werthead's "GrimCamp" descriptor. Seems appropriate.

I dont get the about face attitude toward the sister. I mean he came off as obsessed over her and then when she is free from the husband he gives her the cold shoulder, but the show doesnt really make it clear to me why he's lost interest in her.

My favorite line this week- "Mrs Delaney is about to destroy a goose (duck)." :D

eta: I guess it was Winter, boooo.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I dont get the about face attitude toward the sister. I mean he came off as obsessed over her and then when she is free from the husband he gives her the cold shoulder, but the show doesnt really make it clear to me why he's lost interest in her.

My favorite line this week- "Mrs Delaney is about to destroy a goose (duck)." :D

eta: I guess it was Winter, boooo.

Unless it is one of those Heathcliff and Cathy type things, where he is very much still interested but just dealing with other stuff in the meantime...

17 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Loved this week's episode. "I have a yoose for yoo." :lol:

Ha, wonderful yet slightly maddening. 

I believe it was you who suggested James' mother might not be human (because of the scaly skin?) I meant to address it at he time but forgot, then was reminded by this episode. I don't think her skin is supposed to be scaly. It's heavily applied make-up that has cracked. I was reminded when I saw Godders' companions make-up cracking and realised how similar it looked. I assume, based on what has been said in previous episodes, that the heavy-handed make-up was so his father could try and pass her off as coming from various different places.

I think this show would be more interesting were it not focused so heavily on James. Some wheels are moving in the background, but the viewer is stuck with one Delaney staredown after another. Stop fucking posing and show us some plot developments or at least events occurring behind the scenes. It almost seems the creative phase of the series stopped at making Delaney a dark, edgy badass moping around in a  dark, seedy world.

Pretty good ep. I was bored by some parts though.  George Chichester is awesome and the fact they stayed with him a while really made this episode. In contrast, Dr. Edgar Dumbarton is also awesome, but they barely stayed with him a few seconds. They really have some great acting talent, but they also seem to waste it quite a bit, I guess because the plot doesn't require certain characters. I really wish they'd show them more though. One of my favorite eps was when there was lots of Dumbarton. 

Loved the line about him being a rationalist, yet believing in justice. And the red, white, and blue line.

Strange is fantastic too, but it can get kind of repetive at times with him, especially when it was him constantly getting mad about his latest loss. Was good to finally see the Company show it's teeth.

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Just watched episode 6 - did he kill Winter? Like..one of the only characters I'm interested in...that and Godfrey who I love and just want to be safe so now who the heck am I supposed to watch and root for..

No, Lorna says as much to Brace. The company killed her.

7 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Anyone else love Godfrey 

Yes! Actually I think all the characters are pretty interesting (except Zilpha). It's just a shame that so many of them get only brief coverage. 

Thats one of the issues with the show, there is a lot of potential, and while I have enjoyed it, there is no doubt it could have been much better if they had picked up the pace and explored some of these other characters in a bit more depth

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No, Lorna says as much to Brace. The company killed her.

Yes! Actually I think all the characters are pretty interesting (except Zilpha). It's just a shame that so many of them get only brief coverage. 

Thats one of the issues with the show, there is a lot of potential, and while I have enjoyed it, there is no doubt it could have been much better if they had picked up the pace and explored some of these other characters in a bit more depth

Okay good well not good because I loved little Winter - but if Delaney had killed her I wouldn't have had any sympathy for him left - yeah Zilpha isn't very interesting at all I don't buy their romance. 

I really love Godfrey - I just want him to be happy and safe 

15 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

yeah that would make me AANNGERRY 

Same, Winter was great. I think they are trying to show that Delaney, the company, crown and Americans are as bad as each other.

13 minutes ago, Isis said:

Zilpha is seemingly badly written as well as not so well acted. I honestly thought the actress did an alright job in GoT. So is the writing so much worse here?

I didn't think Chaplin was good in GoT either. But her character there was even worse than Zilpha. Maybe she just has bad luck in the roles she gets.

Archived