Taboo: Tom Hardy's historical drama (BBC1/FX) [spoilers]

AncalagonTheBlack

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Yes,but WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!!! :D

What's equally interesting about that is Delaney's reaction to the EIC clerk. Perhaps he recognized the clerk or recognized something in him. Perhaps they share similarities. Savage's line to the clerk about using his (the clerk's) means after Delaney left the meeting is also interesting.

35 minutes ago, Astromech said:

What's equally interesting about that is Delaney's reaction to the EIC clerk. Perhaps he recognized the clerk or recognized something in him. Perhaps they share similarities. Savage's line to the clerk about using his (the clerk's) means after Delaney left the meeting is also interesting.

Was it the clerk he said that to? I thought it was one of the other senior EIC people, but I could be mistaken.

There definitely did seem to be some sort of recognition between Delaney and the clerk.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

Was it the clerk he said that to? I thought it was one of the other senior EIC people, but I could be mistaken.

There definitely did seem to be some sort of recognition between Delaney and the clerk.

I thought he said it to the clerk. Maybe he said it to the ghost :) 

12 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

What about the gap between UK and US broadcasts? Wouldn't the UK show watchers be spoiling the US watchers?

I've seen the first episode, the second will air on Tuesday (U.S.). I'm fine with the thread having spoilers though. It would help if people maybe mention which episode they are posting about, then you could choose to delay reading further till youve seen said episode.

How far ahead are the UK broadcasts, episode wise?

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

New episodes air every Saturday in the UK,so tonight it's ep 2 there.

Season 2 confirmed

There goes the self contained story I thought this was meant to be. So I guess we have the option of unresolved arc conflict or a second season that maybe doesn't need to exist. Hopefully they had an idea for more material and this isn't just cashing in

10 hours ago, red snow said:

There goes the self contained story I thought this was meant to be. So I guess we have the option of unresolved arc conflict or a second season that maybe doesn't need to exist. Hopefully they had an idea for more material and this isn't just cashing in

In the interview I linked earlier Hardy had said he hoped for a second season because he had quite a lot of ideas on the mythology of Taboo (which would lead me to think the supernatural elements will become more prominent)

Another talky episode besides the last 2 minutes but I'm still enjoying it. Then again I think I could happily watch an hour of Delaney walking around london in his top hat with his theme tune playing. Which is probably for the best given that's about 5% of the show :)

Oh and Al Capone was in the episode

regarding the taboo element

I noticed that this week what seemed like Hardy reminiscing about his sister was phrased in such a way that he could have been talking about her behaviour with their father.

23 hours ago, red snow said:

Another talky episode besides the last 2 minutes but I'm still enjoying it. Then again I think I could happily watch an hour of Delaney walking around london in his top hat with his theme tune playing. Which is probably for the best given that's about 5% of the show :)

Oh and Al Capone was in the episode

regarding the taboo element

Hide contents

I noticed that this week what seemed like Hardy reminiscing about his sister was phrased in such a way that he could have been talking about her behaviour with their father.

I really love the music for this, especially the opening credits. And the tone of the show is excellent, so dark and moody. Love it.

The bit where he speaks with Zilpha at the end you mean? I didn't think that sounded like he was speaking of his father at all. 

Also, was the woman at the end someone we had already met, or just a random assassin? I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be Helga but assumed not.

Enjoyed this episode. And I think we can safely say that, whether historically accurate or not, "fucking" is not being used as some kind of indicator of character backstory :lol: 

More ghostly figures floating around the background. Mind you, I've completely forgotten where this episode's one was (except that it was a much lighter room, and on the right of the screen) but there's definitely something going on there.

They do need to start stopping with the vagueness and give some concrete plot momentum soon. Atmosphere is nice, but you can only sustain a show on it for so long.

44 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

More ghostly figures floating around the background. Mind you, I've completely forgotten where this episode's one was (except that it was a much lighter room, and on the right of the screen) but there's definitely something going on there.

It was...

Spoiler

during the Feng Shui scene aboard his new ship. It looked like his father. Delaney seemed unaware of its presence, so this leads me to believe the ghosts are real, and not just a figment of his imagination. 

In the scene he meets "Winter" and she takes him to a ship...  what was that all about??  I think she told him it belonged to someone who wanted to kill him, so he just burns it down without finding out any actual facts and whether Winter was telling him the truth or not.   That seemed pretty random.  What did I miss?

Also, Tom Hardy is playing a character that is suppose to be nearly 20 years younger than his actual age?  I'm enjoying it but I don't know what to make of these things.

He goes onto the ship looking for the assassin (the same one who attacks him in the final scene disguised as a woman) but the assassin isn't there. James takes some stuff and then burns the ship. Among the stuff he takes are some Malaysian coins. Later, speaking to the madam (Winter's mother) he asks her about the guy with the silver tooth and she makes refers to him as 'the Malay', thereby confirming they're the same guy.

17 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Also, Tom Hardy is playing a character that is suppose to be nearly 20 years younger than his actual age?  I'm enjoying it but I don't know what to make of these things.

He's had a hard life? ;) Also, he spends a lot of time covered in dirt so it's not that easy to notice (London is a dirty place. I mean, London was a dirty place). But, seriously, people didn't live as long/looked older because life was more difficult in a myriad of ways. So, this is not a complaint about his performance that would have entered my head. We happen to know how old the actor is (same age as me, in fact) but he doesn't necessarily look precisely that age (or older) so it's not something that caught my attention.

Are we going to see some of the beautiful Pacific NW soon or what? Like most others, I am enjoying it but hopefully the plot moves a long a little, or develops some subplots at least, in the near future.

Archived