Is bran god?

King17

From a certain point of view it does seem that way, but GRRM has specifically said no gods will appear on the page, so that kind of rules it out in a literal sense.

Bran is definitely going to be a legend though. He needs a cool byname. He can't be The Builder, or The Burner, or The Daughterless. The Tree isn't really badass enough. Bran the Seer? Bran the Last, Last Hero? Bran the Deciduous?

31 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

From a certain point of view it does seem that way, but GRRM has specifically said no gods will appear on the page, so that kind of rules it out in a literal sense.

Bran is definitely going to be a legend though. He needs a cool byname. He can't be The Builder, or The Burner, or The Daughterless. The Tree isn't really badass enough. Bran the Seer? Bran the Last, Last Hero? Bran the Deciduous?

Bran the Dreamer would be cool

4 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I chuckled at Bran the Deciduous, that was good.

Winged Wolf is a good name and will probably be the name he's remembered by. Question: do the bynames only get given to Brans who ruled? I suppose Bran now is the rightful Lord / King of Winterfell depending on how Robb's will works and whether you care about the IT (I doubt the Old Gods do), and as such might be entitled to a byname, since Northerners seem to prefer them to regnal numbers when they can. I think he calls himself Bran the Broken once, and I think that's actually a pretty good byname. Bran the Broken, the Winged Wolf.

Edit: Forgot to add, Bran the Lost and Bran the Missing are also possibilities. Brandon the Wizard, too.

If Bran can interact with people through time and send visions (waiting for Winds impatiently), it will personally confirm to me that he is the most powerful creature of this universe, and all these people receiving visions from their deities are actually visions sent by Bran. Drowned God, Many Faced God, Old Gods, Red God, Faith of the Seven, warlocks visions - that is all Bran's doing. And do not ignore the fact that several Brandons in Stark family might have been reincarnations of our current Bran - the reason why Old Nan always mixes them up.

Like Bloodraven explained, time works differently for weirwoods, it is one river that powerful greenseers can travel up and down (past and future).

For what purpose? We will have to wait for the end of the saga to understand the purpose of all these manipulations.

I think it would be neat if the series end with Bran, our very first POV, residing on Isle of Faces and showing us the new post Long Night world through his eyes. I think the whole journey through these books will end with him just as it started.

We will have to wait, I guess.

Bran is a human with magical powers. But he is certainly what is interpreted as a god/the old gods by believers. People talk, sacrifice etc. to weirwoods and think the old gods can hear and see them and react. Now we know someone can hear, see, answer and it's people or - more generally - beings like Bran. So whatever way you look at it.

If Bran can interact with people through time and send visions (waiting for Winds impatiently), it will personally confirm to me that he is the most powerful creature of this universe, and all these people receiving visions from their deities are actually visions sent by Bran. Drowned God, Many Faced God, Old Gods, Red God, Faith of the Seven, warlocks visions - that is all Bran's doing.

Hm, why does he have to be the only one? That goes a bit far for me. Why would he foretell that Dragonstone fool the red wedding and anything? How pointless. And if he can tell the red priests what to do, why doesn't he go to an appropriate time and shout some "NO BURNING PEOPLE" sense into stupid Mel? Nah, I don't like it.

3 minutes ago, ftheking said:

Bran is a human with magical powers. But he is certainly what is interpreted as a god/the old gods by believers. People talk, sacrifice etc. to weirwoods and think the old gods can hear and see them and react. Now we know someone can hear, see, answer and it's people or - more generally - beings like Bran. So whatever way you look at it.

Hm, why does he have to be the only one? That goes a bit far for me. Why would he foretell that Dragonstone fool the red wedding and anything? How pointless. And if he can tell the red priests what to do, why doesn't he go to an appropriate time and shout some "NO BURNING PEOPLE" sense into stupid Mel? Nah, I don't like it.

I think he would be more like Jesus then god though. The way that people like Jojen and me era talk to him is also very Jesus like. The fact that he has to give up his life for the greater good. They do believe the weirwoods and old gods can talk to them. That was particularly interesting to me. So yeah they did confirm that bran could see through the eyes of the weirwood trees in the fifth books. So he alone inst just the god. I agree with you saying that he doe sent have to be the only one. He is just one of many. Many of the green seers probably dint realize what they have. Did he foretell the red wedding? I thought that was in Daenerys's chapters. Where she is in the house of the undying shes sees a foreshadowing symbol for the red wedding. 

38 minutes ago, ftheking said:

He is the only one because so far we have not seen any greenseer be able to do what he potentially can do. It is not proven yet, but I think even Bloodraven cannot interact with people in the past the way Bran can. He said so himself - he tried, but was unsuccessful. I think it will be a different scenario for Bran.

He will not scream to red priestess not to burn people because he NEEDS them to burn people. Blood sacrifice is the power juice for greenseers, and Bran becomes more powerful with more blood magic. If Shireen does get indeed burned, Bran will not stop it - he will encourage it with future visions to Mel of Jon Snow opening his eyes in order to burn the princess and resurrect his half-brother.

It is the same with everything else: he sends Euron who was already fucked up in the head before his exile from Iron Isles the visions of some greatness he is about to achieve. He is manipulating him to do his bidding - whether he needs Euron to become king of ironborn and get control of dragons, destroy Oldtown, wreak some havok anywhere else, etc. 

The same with Arya and Faceless Men. There are many parallels between Bran and Arya's trips to underworld. Bran is grooming his sister who he needs her to become for some ultimate purpose.

What ultimate purpose that is we will only know by the end of the books. One thing is clear for me: Bran is the most powerful telepath in this universe, and with that kind of power and no limitations on time space, he can do whatever the hell he wants and shape the world.

1 hour ago, Wrl6199 said:

Did he foretell the red wedding? I thought that was in Daenerys's chapters. Where she is in the house of the undying shes sees a foreshadowing symbol for the red wedding. 

Yeah, he had a song "King's blood, fool's blood, blood on the maiden bed, but chains for the groom and chains for the guests" which is pretty descriptive! Seers everywhere.

He will not scream to red priestess not to burn people because he NEEDS them to burn people. Blood sacrifice is the power juice for greenseers, and Bran becomes more powerful with more blood magic.

Better spoiler tag that following part!

I highly disagree. Bran made clear that he wants no sacrifices. If he also starts seeking unlimited power by burning innocent people, I sure hope Jaime shows up and dutifully ends the job.

1 hour ago, ftheking said:

Better spoiler tag that following part!

I highly disagree. Bran made clear that he wants no sacrifices. If he also starts seeking unlimited power by burning innocent people, I sure hope Jaime shows up and dutifully ends the job.

What exactly did I spoil?

Well, if you think that Bran is going to become powerful without losing part of his humanity ("only death can pay for life"), which I think started with Jojenpaste, then prepare to be disappointed. Bran is not going to suddenly become Gandalf the White and help good guys to defeat White Walkers. It is not his story trajectory.

15 minutes ago, Scorpion92 said:

What exactly did I spoil?

Well, if you think that Bran is going to become powerful without losing part of his humanity ("only death can pay for life"), which I think started with Jojenpaste, then prepare to be disappointed. Bran is not going to suddenly become Gandalf the White and help good guys to defeat White Walkers. It is not his story trajectory.

Jojen is not dead. 

Burning people would not help Bran in any way. The blood would burn and/or evaporate, so there wouldn't be any to seep down into the ground and be absorbed by the roots of the weirwoods. Assuming any blood managed to escape into the ground, the burning would have to be done in a weirwood grove, which so far as I remember has not happened.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Jojen is not dead. 

Burning people would not help Bran in any way. The blood would burn and/or evaporate, so there wouldn't be any to seep down into the ground and be absorbed by the roots of the weirwoods. Assuming any blood managed to escape into the ground, the burning would have to be done in a weirwood grove, which so far as I remember has not happened.

Well, I disagree on Jojen not being dead.

Well, everytime Mel sacrificied people to fire (Alester Florent), she got back something in return. Since there are no gods in this universe as George RR Martin told us, then someone or something made sure that travel from Dragonstone to Eastwatch was smooth. Considering Davos' travel from Eastwatch to White Harbor was not that quiet.

And Melisandre gets the visions from somewhere, right? She constantly claims that Lord of Light sends her these visions, and as I stated earlier, there are no gods in this universe, according to the author himself.

We do not know all details on how blood sacrifice works in ASOIAF, so I am in "wait and see" mode. But I am getting more and more confident Bran is behind the sacrificies and visions.

Depends I guess. Was Bloodraven a god? Are the old greenseers gods? In fact, who are the actual gods in the series? We may have to wait and see which "gods" prevail in the end. If it's the Old Gods, then perhaps he is on his way to becoming one of them himself. 

9 hours ago, Scorpion92 said:

Well, I disagree on Jojen not being dead.

<snip

Well, according to people who have the app, it lists Jojen as alive. 

7 hours ago, myhalfgroat said:

Scorpion 92. I tried to quote your last message and it must have gotten lost in translation.

IIRC he said that we won't see any gods. so the lord of light isn't going to manifest himself, but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

Also this. 

Archived