Duel: Gregor Clegane vs Mag the Mighty

Alexander Targaryen

Who would win in a battle between the "giant" Ser Gregor Clegane and the real giant Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg? 

Mindset: In character
Knowledge: None
Preparation: Limited

Starting distance: 20 m

Ser Gregor Clegane is 33 years old and 8 feet tall. He wears a suit of extremely thick and heavy steel armor over chainmail and boiled leather, with a narrow-slit plate helmet. He is armed with a six-foot greatsword and a thick oakwood heater shield. He mounts a large unarmored stallion.

-VS-

Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg is an elderly Giant and almost 14 feet tall. He is naked but covered in a very thick pelt of fur. He is armed with a huge wooden club. He mounts a large, elderly mammoth with long curved tusks and thick fur.

I'm going to give this one to Mag. Not that it doesn't have potential to be an epic fight, but I could picture Gregor charging while Mag sits still on his mammoth and then as the puny knight gets close, he bats him over the Wall with his club. It would be the Westerosi equivalent of Indiana Jones shooting that guy.

Another factor that could play in...unless Gregor's stallion is the best-trained animal in all of history and literature, it will most likely shy at the mammoth, be it the first sight or the first whiff. Horses can be incredibly skittish about scents and sights they don't recognize. Not the same as a mare in heat (shame on you, Loras!) but something that must be considered nonetheless.

18 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I'm going to give this one to Mag. Not that it doesn't have potential to be an epic fight, but I could picture Gregor charging while Mag sits still on his mammoth and then as the puny knight gets close, he bats him over the Wall with his club. It would be the Westerosi equivalent of Indiana Jones shooting that guy.

Another factor that could play in...unless Gregor's stallion is the best-trained animal in all of history and literature, it will most likely shy at the mammoth, be it the first sight or the first whiff. Horses can be incredibly skittish about scents and sights they don't recognize. Not the same as a mare in heat (shame on you, Loras!) but something that must be considered nonetheless.

True story. Mag would bat any man 1vs1 to the moon, mammoth or not.

On 2017-01-08 at 6:04 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I am inclined to agree with you that Mag has the upper hand in offensive prowess with his superior strength, size and reach. However, I wouldn't necessarily presume that he will fight in a less aggressive and rash manner than Gregor. Mag certainly doesn't strike me as cautious; in his battle against Donal Noye he did embrace a sword-armed opponent to break his spine rather than simply punch him, which led to the tragic death of the giant. But of course, this happened in the confined space of a tunnel where Mag might not have been able to use his club. I have no idea how he will treat an armored opponent in the open field, but I imagine that both combatants will charge at each other. Although a mammoth should be much slower than a horse, I still believe that Gregor would be unable to force his horse forward for the reasons you mentioned. The horse is indeed an important factor against the mammoth which might put Gregor at a disadvantage. I planned to divide this battle into two scenarios; one where both combatants are mounted and one where they meet on foot - I might edit the opening post and add that.

Archived