Leah Remini A&E Scientology Show

zelticgar

I've been watching this show and it has been really interesting. I understand Scientology disputes many of the accusations but there is clearly enough weirdness going on with the religion to warrant scrutiny. The private investigators, the disassociation policies around members leaving the church and the number of critics participating that come from the leadership ranks really cast Scientology in a poor light.

HBO did a good documentary on Scientology awhile back very similar to the Leah Remini show. I'm not a fan of any religions tbh, but this one seems particularly fucked up. Some of the stories of ex-members are truly infuriating. The last episode about the twin brothers was just heartbreaking. More people need to see this shit. 

Last episode was brutal. It is even more heartbreaking because in a lot of cases the religion was forced on these folks as children.

The stories of what goes on in The Hole with executives who were punished is pretty crazy. There is a video on youtube of the former head of the Clearwater facilities describing under oath what occurred. I can't understand why no one has gone to jail over it. I watched the HBO documentary as well and it is pretty chilling. Tom Cruise in particular seems to have really bought into it. 

12 hours ago, Nictarion said:

HBO did a good documentary on Scientology awhile back very similar to the Leah Remini show. I'm not a fan of any religions tbh, but this one seems particularly fucked up. Some of the stories of ex-members are truly infuriating. The last episode about the twin brothers was just heartbreaking. More people need to see this shit. 

I'm with you.... While I have little tolerance for religion in general... this one is particularly insane.... not that a talking snake, a virgin birth, parting seas or moving mountains are remotely rational... but the attorney General has to step in whether Kids get molested by priests, or people get kidnapped by scientologists

Might check this out. I think Scientology these days is losing members hand over fist and is possibly on its way out, mainly due to all the bad press its been receiving I guess. Possibly that we are getting so many documentaries about them these days is a sign that they are not as powerful as they were and are unable to control the media in the same way.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Might check this out. I think Scientology these days is losing members hand over fist and is possibly on its way out, mainly due to all the bad press its been receiving I guess. Possibly that we are getting so many documentaries about them these days is a sign that they are not as powerful as they were and are unable to control the media in the same way.

They touch on this during the first episode or two of the series. They apparently overstate their membership significantly but the actual number is below 30,000. Keep in mind though that a tax free, 30k member pyramid scheme charging members for books, auditing and OT classes can rack up some serious money and power. 

It does seem like their shine has worn off in the hollywood community and they have gotten brazen enough to push away former leadership who are less scared about speaking out. I suspect that it is a house of cards almost completely dependent on Miscavige keeping it together. I would not underestimate the guy but it does seem like a precarious place to be. 

I've enjoyed this quite a bit.

Smartly focuses heavily on disconnecting. 

Problem is, believing in weird shit like disconnecting is not a crime.

Need to catch them doing physical violence/coercion/harassment. And indeed there's evidence of that in this show. 

And Remini is a sexy badass.

11 hours ago, Commodore said:

I've enjoyed this quite a bit.

Smartly focuses heavily on disconnecting. 

Problem is, believing in weird shit like disconnecting is not a crime.

Need to catch them doing physical violence/coercion/harassment. And indeed there's evidence of that in this show. 

And Remini is a sexy badass.

Given Remini's personality it is actually kind of shocking that she remained in the group for that long to begin with. 

Regarding the illegal activity - with the amount of people claiming to have witnessed Miscavige doing physical acts of harm against executives in the hole, assaulting people like Mike Rinder and Marty Rathburn, harassing film crews, media and "suppressive persons" it is amazing no one has ever charged him. I suspect the statute of limitations has run out on some of these incidents but there is enough evidence warrant investigations. It is kind of mind boggling that he has survived as long as he has. 

On 1/16/2017 at 6:30 AM, zelticgar said:

Given Remini's personality it is actually kind of shocking that she remained in the group for that long to begin with. 

She was raised in it I believe. 

I really can't stand Remini so this show hasn't been watchable to me.  I guess it's also hard to really accept that so many are sucked into this stupid religion (though that's true for most religions, imo).

I'm surprised how many anti-scientology shows there have been recently.  I mean, obviously it's a terrible religion, but meanwhile fundamentalist christianity is being celebrated with multiple shows on tv constantly despite how terrible that particular brand of christianity is.  

On 1/19/2017 at 8:45 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

I really can't stand Remini so this show hasn't been watchable to me.  I guess it's also hard to really accept that so many are sucked into this stupid religion (though that's true for most religions, imo).

I'm surprised how many anti-scientology shows there have been recently.  I mean, obviously it's a terrible religion, but meanwhile fundamentalist christianity is being celebrated with multiple shows on tv constantly despite how terrible that particular brand of christianity is.  

I'm not aware of any shows like this about fundamentalist christianity but I think cults in general are an interesting topic and draw ratings. I've heard people talk about how they don't like Remini but I find her very interesting and I find myself feeling real empathy for her. She conveys a toughness and independence that  would seem at odds with being influenced by a group like this. I know she was raised in scientology but I think based on her background and personality the realization of how duped she has been by them has rocked her world pretty badly. 

1 minute ago, zelticgar said:

I'm not aware of any shows like this about fundamentalist christianity

Really?  Duck Dynasty celebrates a family who publicly adhere to a fundamentalist understanding of their text.  A Gazillion Kids and Counting and their new show they had to create after a short break when it was revealed they were protecting a child molestor follows a Quiverfull fundamentalist family.  Sister Wives a fundamentalist Mormon family.  Growing up Bates is another Duggar-esque fundamentalist show.  I mean, there are many of these shows that celebrate these families.  The worst part is that the shows tend to play down the religious aspect and paint the bad stuff in really good lights, or else ignore the bad altogether.  

If anyone listens to Joe Rogans podcast, he just reached out to Leah on twitter and she agreed to come on his podcast. It should be absolutely awesome when she does. Her AMA on Twitter was really good. I've been hoping for her to go on the JRE for a while. They're both really close with Kevin James, so it should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 0:57 AM, -Ghost- said:

If anyone listens to Joe Rogans podcast, he just reached out to Leah on twitter and she agreed to come on his podcast. It should be absolutely awesome when she does. Her AMA on Twitter was really good. I've been hoping for her to go on the JRE for a while. They're both really close with Kevin James, so it should be interesting.

This is up now. I'm in a no wifi zone gonna have to wait until i get home to watch it but it happened just a couple of hours ago and it's entirety is on youtube now.

9 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

This is up now. I'm in a no wifi zone gonna have to wait until i get home to watch it but it happened just a couple of hours ago and it's entirety is on youtube now.

sweet, I'll check it out on my ride home tonight. Been sucked into the Scientology vortex lately. Something about it fascinates me. Part of it is the absurdity of it all. It seems like such and obvious scam to me that it is amazing that some many people have fallen for it. I guess you can say that with almost all organized religions but Scientology seems so blatant about it. They have pricing guides for leveling up through their OT steps?!!

Archived