Brandon Stark's possible revelations

Greywater-Watch

Brandon Stark will apparently be able to see lhings that have happened in the past, as long as a weirwood was close to these events. As we learn from Brynden Rivers in the weirwood cave, at a higher level of training a greenseer may even see through other trees. But in this thread I would like to concentrate on events that have happened in the books which have happened in front or proximity of weirwoods, and which are important and unknown to many (those not witnessing these events).

Here from my memory, awaiting your contribution:

• Winterfell-weirwood
    • Theon's confession during his stay at Winterfell with the Bolton army
    • the wedding of Jeyne Poole to Ramsay Bolton
    • Wex Pyke hiding in the Weirwood tree during the Dreadfort men under the command of Ramsey Bolton killing the Iron Men and putting Winterfell to the torch
  • Kings Landing Weirwood in the Red Keep
    • discussion between Ned Stark and Cersei with Cersei not denying Ned Stark's accusation of Cersei's incest with Jamie and Ned's offer to give her time to flee
    • Dontos Hollard and Sansa Stark preparing her escape; Dontos giving the hair-net to Sansa and urging her to wear it during Joffrey's wedding
  • High Heart weirwood
    • talk between the Ghost of High Heart and Thoros of Myr, Beric Dondarrion, Arya Stark
  • Weirwood roots in the retreat-cave of the Brotherhood without Arms
    • the duel between Sandor Clegane and Beric Dondarrion and Dondarrion's resurrection by Thoros of Myr
  • Weirwood behind the wall
    • at least two occasions where recruits of the Night Watch take their oaths
  • weirwood at Raventree
    • Lord Tytos surrender to Jamie Lannister
  • weirwood at Harrenhal
    • Arya training in the tree
    • I am not sure: discussion between Jaqen H'ghar and Arya about the killings he would do for her?

Anything else?

Any impact to be expected from revealing These Events?

I think Brandon Stark has never been anything more than a plot device to shape Eddard's character really

I wouldn't expect much more on him in the coming books, maybe they'll talk about his affair with Ashara (whose sole purpose is to give the Ned/Ashara rumors credilbity as Ashara did bed a Stark men while keeping Ned's honor intact)

8 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

I think Brandon Stark has never been anything more than a plot device to shape Eddard's character really

I wouldn't expect much more on him in the coming books, maybe they'll talk about his affair with Ashara (whose sole purpose is to give the Ned/Ashara rumors credilbity as Ashara did bed a Stark men while keeping Ned's honor intact)

I think that the op means Bran.

4 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Kings Landing Weirwood in the Red Keep

• discussion between Ned Stark and Cersei with Cersei not denying Ned Stark's accusation of Cersei's incest with Jamie and Ned's offer to give her time to flee
  • Dontos Hollard and Sansa Stark preparing her escape; Dontos giving the hair-net to Sansa and urging her to wear it during Joffrey's wedding

The Godswood at the Red Keep has no weirwoods. It is described as "an acre of elm and alder and black cottonwood overlooking the river.The heart tree there was a great oak, its anceint limbs overgrown with smokeberry vines; they knelt before it to offer their thanksgiving, as if it had been a weirwood". Eddard V-aGoT  

The weirwood in Bloodraven's cave is very important, and is where Bran is getting his training at from the Three Eyed Crow.

There is a weirwood growing wild in the kitchen of the Nightfort. Bran describes it as faceless, a queer kind of tree, and skinnier than any other weirwood Bran had ever seen.

Brienne discovers a young weirwood on her travels when she is searching for Sansa. It is near the Whispers and she buries Nimble Dick Crabb's body beneath it. This weirwood also has no face.

In stories or memories**

The weirwood and entire godswood grove at Storms End are burnt by Stannis and Melisandre in a memory from Davos.

I would guess that the weirwood grove on the Isle of Faces in the God's Eye near Harrenhal is very important to the story, but I don't think we have an actual scene set there yet. In Meera's story about the Knight of the Laughing Tree, she tells a tale of a crannogman who went to the Isle of Faces and stayed there a while before going to the Tourney at Harrenhall in the year of the false spring. It is assumed this crannogman was her father, Howland Reed, but it is not confirmed.

**I am not sure if this Isle of Faces weirwood grove fits your requirement because it is only told in story? The weirwood at Storms End may not fit because it is only a memory. There are many weirwoods that are reported in stories, even a few in the south.

18 hours ago, St Daga said:

The Godswood at the Red Keep has no weirwoods. It is described as "an acre of elm and alder and black cottonwood overlooking the river.The heart tree there was a great oak, its anceint limbs overgrown with smokeberry vines; they knelt before it to offer their thanksgiving, as if it had been a weirwood". Eddard V-aGoT  

The weirwood in Bloodraven's cave is very important, and is where Bran is getting his training at from the Three Eyed Crow.

There is a weirwood growing wild in the kitchen of the Nightfort. Bran describes it as faceless, a queer kind of tree, and skinnier than any other weirwood Bran had ever seen.

Brienne discovers a young weirwood on her travels when she is searching for Sansa. It is near the Whispers and she buries Nimble Dick Crabb's body beneath it. This weirwood also has no face.

In stories or memories**

The weirwood and entire godswood grove at Storms End are burnt by Stannis and Melisandre in a memory from Davos.

I would guess that the weirwood grove on the Isle of Faces in the God's Eye near Harrenhal is very important to the story, but I don't think we have an actual scene set there yet. In Meera's story about the Knight of the Laughing Tree, she tells a tale of a crannogman who went to the Isle of Faces and stayed there a while before going to the Tourney at Harrenhall in the year of the false spring. It is assumed this crannogman was her father, Howland Reed, but it is not confirmed.

**I am not sure if this Isle of Faces weirwood grove fits your requirement because it is only told in story? The weirwood at Storms End may not fit because it is only a memory. There are many weirwoods that are reported in stories, even a few in the south.

Your are right about the godswood in the Red Keep. Apart from that you seem to have misunderstood my post. I am looking for important events/discussions taking place in proximity of a weirwood (or heart tree) in the books.

Ned and Cat have their first conversation in aGoT in front of the weirwood at Winterfell about the Wolf pups, bad omens and Jon Arryn's death + Robert coming 

Jaime has the dream of Brienne in the bowels of Casterly Rock when he's sleeping on a weirwood trunk. No idea if dreams can be seen through the weirwood net, but they probably can be sent that way. 

I think Jaime also practises with Ilyn Paine in the godswood at Harrenhal. 

1 hour ago, Greywater-Watch said:

As far as I understood, Bran is only the short form for Brandon. And yes: I mean Bran(don) Stark, the crippled younger brother of Robb Stark.

Yes, Bran is short for Brandon, but I suppose it gets confusing because of Ned's brother Brandon. I think that most people refer to Bran(don), Ned's son as Bran, because that is how his chapters are titled and that is how he refers to himself in text.

1 hour ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Your are right about the godswood in the Red Keep. Apart from that you seem to have misunderstood my post. I am looking for important events/discussions taking place in proximity of a weirwood (or heart tree) in the books.

Maybe I did misunderstand. Maybe we just see important events in a different light. It is possible that any conversation or action that happens before a weirwood is important, but that importance has not been revealed to us yet.

I find it important, or at least interesting, that Brienne buried Nimble Dick before a weirwood, because it could be seen as a blood sacrifice to the old gods, much like Bran see's in his visions from the Winterfell weirwood of the blood sacrifice involving the prisoner who was killed before the weirwood with a bronze sickle. Actually Brienne's whole battle with Shagwell, Pyg and Timeon happens before the weirwood, so the CotF or Bran or Bloodraven could see what a warrior she is. Could be important down the road, or maybe not.

The weirwood in the kitchen at the Nightfort  is where Bran and Sam cross paths. It is important for both of their journeys. Sam helps Bran and company through the black gate and Sam is now aware that Jon's brother Bran is alive. Even though Sam has pledged not to tell Jon, the fact that he knows that Bran is alive is important to the story. It was Summer's approval of Sam that made Bran understand Sam was to be trusted.

Who knows what is important or not except GRRM. I tend to think most everything has some meaning in the narrative, these are just things that happened before two young trees. I think the age of the tree's may be important as well, as in a returning of the CotF and the old gods.

I like this. Before I dive in and embarrass myself, are we restricted to living trees with faces or can we include anything that happens in the proximity of items or stumps made of weirwood?   I have 2 that I think would be relevant, but these things occurred on or about weirwood items.

9 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I like this. Before I dive in and embarrass myself, are we restricted to living trees with faces or can we include anything that happens in the proximity of items or stumps made of weirwood?   I have 2 that I think would be relevant, but these things occurred on or about weirwood items.

Curled finger dive right in and mention your instances! Never fear embarrassment on here, for the most part you are among friendly forum colleagues who will welcome whatever you have to contribute. 

I think the OP just means Weirwood in general, not necessarily in front of a tree with a face. 

30 minutes ago, Slowpoke Martin said:

Hopefully Bran's visions only show us important stuff such as:

- Story behind how the Others were created and turned on the CoTF is a definite necessity 

In what way do you mean the Others were created? As in created by the Cotf deliberately?.

Highgarden has three in it's Godswood, The Singers.  Not sure what that could give us of use though.  Mayhaps Willas and the clearly important yet hardly even mentioned Lord Hightower have been in communication, and that's our way in?  Also it's said that Garth Greenhand himself planted them.  That could open a whole new can of worms.  

15 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

As McGregor said: Dive in!

21 hours ago, St Daga said:

Yes, Bran is short for Brandon, but I suppose it gets confusing because of Ned's brother Brandon. I think that most people refer to Bran(don), Ned's son as Bran, because that is how his chapters are titled and that is how he refers to himself in text.

Maybe I did misunderstand. Maybe we just see important events in a different light. It is possible that any conversation or action that happens before a weirwood is important, but that importance has not been revealed to us yet.

I find it important, or at least interesting, that Brienne buried Nimble Dick before a weirwood, because it could be seen as a blood sacrifice to the old gods, much like Bran see's in his visions from the Winterfell weirwood of the blood sacrifice involving the prisoner who was killed before the weirwood with a bronze sickle. Actually Brienne's whole battle with Shagwell, Pyg and Timeon happens before the weirwood, so the CotF or Bran or Bloodraven could see what a warrior she is. Could be important down the road, or maybe not.

The weirwood in the kitchen at the Nightfort  is where Bran and Sam cross paths. It is important for both of their journeys. Sam helps Bran and company through the black gate and Sam is now aware that Jon's brother Bran is alive. Even though Sam has pledged not to tell Jon, the fact that he knows that Bran is alive is important to the story. It was Summer's approval of Sam that made Bran understand Sam was to be trusted.

Who knows what is important or not except GRRM. I tend to think most everything has some meaning in the narrative, these are just things that happened before two young trees. I think the age of the tree's may be important as well, as in a returning of the CotF and the old gods.

• Brienne's fight and her burying Nimble Dick: What could be the importance to know that for others?
  • Nightfort: No need for Bran to look through a tree, he witnessed that event himself.

58 minutes ago, Greywater-Watch said:
  • Brienne's fight and her burying Nimble Dick: What could be the importance to know that for others?
  • Nightfort: No need for Bran to look through a tree, he witnessed that event himself.

We don't know what implications that there could be from Brienne's fight. Maybe nothing, maybe something that will be revealed later.

Certainly Bran does not need to see his own memory, I agree. We don't know what else might happen in front of that Nightfort weirwood for Bran to see at a later time, and we don't know who might else be able to see through the weirwoods to spy on Bran.

I think we are looking at your OP with different intent, but I appreciate all of the focus drawn to the weirnet!

7 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Curled finger dive right in and mention your instances! Never fear embarrassment on here, for the most part you are among friendly forum colleagues who will welcome whatever you have to contribute. 

I think the OP just means Weirwood in general, not necessarily in front of a tree with a face. 

I'm down with items then!  How about seeing Lysa trying to toss Sansa from the moon door the getting tossed herself by littlefinger?  I believe that's a weirwood throne right there.  The juicier one is the weirwood at the house of black & white.  Get a glimpse of what Arya's been up to.  Both good pieces of intel if Bran can communicate with either sister.

Archived