Brandon Stark's possible revelations

Greywater-Watch

29 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I'm down with items then!  How about seeing Lysa trying to toss Sansa from the moon door the getting tossed herself by littlefinger?  I believe that's a weirwood throne right there.  The juicier one is the weirwood at the house of black & white.  Get a glimpse of what Arya's been up to.  Both good pieces of intel if Bran can communicate with either sister.

Now that would be interesting.

But are you sure, there is a weirwood in the Eyrie? I doubt that the throne made of weirwood allows Bran to see anything.

Is there really a weirwood in the House of Black and White? I thought there was only the outer door made half of weirwood.

Couple a thoughts - weirwoods would need to be alive to part of the net, yeah?

Arya stands in front of a lot of weirwoods, so Bran could at least know she is alive and not at Winterfell (she ain't Jeyne getting married) but Brienne's discussion with Shagwell about the Hound having a Stark might confuse him. 

The chapter with Beric fighting the Hound is bizarre. He is positioned like Bloodraven on a weirwood throne and the CotF says that Rh'llor magic does not work around the old gods, yet he is brought back to life..... so Bran might need to track Dondarrion down (if he is still alive), or at least find Catelyn. 

The chapter with the Blackwoods is interesting because Jaime is meeting Bloodraven's relatives, who we could presume have some inherited traits. Keep an eye on Jaime's hostage perhaps. Sure are a lot of wargable ravens in that god's wood. 

I think the Nightfort and the Black gate (Black Gate, Blackwood) are super important as Bran will piece together the links between the Cotf, the Others, the Last Hero and the Night's Watch, and may have to start rounding up a team to go kick some Other ass.

HOWEVER - if Bran can warg ravens, he is also going to find out a lot by listening to messages being read out.

MAJOR HOWEVER - All the ADwD chapters are really, really dark and foreboding. Jojen and Meera get really depressed after they arrive (and disappear before Bran eats something that has blood in it), there are lots of bones including human that the guide doesn't want to show them and Bloodraven tells Bran not to fear the darkness, to list but 3 examples. So the main revelation Bran needs to have is that he has walked into a trap and he will have to get out of that before he links up with Jon and is team of Zombies. 

Well that's what I think..

8 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Now that would be interesting.

But are you sure, there is a weirwood in the Eyrie? I doubt that the throne made of weirwood allows Bran to see anything.

Is there really a weirwood in the House of Black and White? I thought there was only the outer door made half of weirwood.

I tried to post all day from my phone at work and all it would do was give me my original response.   So here goes...

At the house of black and white:  They wore their robes of black and white, but as they took their seats each man pulled his cowl down to show the face he had chosen to wear that day. Their tall chairs were carved of ebony and weirwood, like the doors of the temple above. The ebon chairs had weirwood faces on their backs, the weirwood chairs faces of carved ebony.

Yep.   Chairs and a door and a face on a door and faces on chairs.   Interesting the Faceless have weirwood faces carved on their furniture.  

Over at Auntie Lysa's:  She looked about uncertainly. Lady Lysa sat on the dais in a high-backed chair of carved weirwood, alone. To her right was a second chair, taller than her own, with a stack of blue cushions piled on the seat, but Lord Robert was not in it. Sansa hoped he'd recovered. Marillion was not like to tell her, though.

Another chair.  

Well Greywater-Watch, that's why I asked if items could be considered or not.   We know the dead stumps of weirwoods cause dreams.   We know Theon dreamed when he slept in the weirwood bed at Winterfell.  I'm thinking Bran may well pick up visions of the things that happen in the presence of these pieces of furniture.  We think Bran was watching Arya in a wolf dream.   If it's all as we suppose, Bran would know that Arya has some very specialized training and could send her some sort of message in her dreams.  All the things Lysa confessed and most definitively made frickin Little Finger complicit in would be a game changer in the Vale and Riverlands at the very least.  If Bran actually can pick up signals from dead weirwood and/or get messages through in dreams--you get the idea.   Sorry if they don't count.   

I was closing everything out for the night and asearchoficeandfire is still open.   Not only is Lysa's chair made of weirwood, but Little Sweet Robert's throne is also made of weirwood.  Guess what else is weirwood at Auntie Lysa's...

Lady Lysa pulled at Sansa's arm. It was either walk or be dragged, so she chose to walk, halfway down the hall and between a pair of pillars, to a white weirwood door set in the marble wall. The door was firmly closed, with three heavy bronze bars to hold it in place, but Sansa could hear the wind outside worrying at its edges. When she saw the crescent moon carved in the wood, she planted her feet. "The Moon Door." She tried to yank free. "Why are you showing me the Moon Door?"

Now we have 2 instances of chairs and doors in the same places.  

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I was closing everything out for the night and asearchoficeandfire is still open.   Not only is Lysa's chair made of weirwood, but Little Sweet Robert's throne is also made of weirwood.  Guess what else is weirwood at Auntie Lysa's...

Lady Lysa pulled at Sansa's arm. It was either walk or be dragged, so she chose to walk, halfway down the hall and between a pair of pillars, to a white weirwood door set in the marble wall. The door was firmly closed, with three heavy bronze bars to hold it in place, but Sansa could hear the wind outside worrying at its edges. When she saw the crescent moon carved in the wood, she planted her feet. "The Moon Door." She tried to yank free. "Why are you showing me the Moon Door?"

Now we have 2 instances of chairs and doors in the same places.  

If there is any remote possibility that Bran could see things that have happened due to the Weirwood items in the two places you mentioned, they are two of the best examples possible Curled Finger. 

7 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

If there is any remote possibility that Bran could see things that have happened due to the Weirwood items in the two places you mentioned, they are two of the best examples possible Curled Finger. 

Thanks Mac, it's a dubious sort of connection and even I get how it's supposed to work.   It's Theon's dream in the weirwood bed that allows a sliver of possibility for weirwood, dead or alive, to have a certain correspondent (for lack of a better word at 6 AM) property.   I wasn't trying to drive the point home I just got a kick out of the dual likeness in both places with both Stark girls.   Wanted to share that interesting bit of information with friends.   Can't wait to see what either you or @Greywater-Watch can come up with for this connection.   I will go digging for a 3rd instance with another Stark.   

29 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Thanks Mac, it's a dubious sort of connection and even I get how it's supposed to work.   It's Theon's dream in the weirwood bed that allows a sliver of possibility for weirwood, dead or alive, to have a certain correspondent (for lack of a better word at 6 AM) property.   I wasn't trying to drive the point home I just got a kick out of the dual likeness in both places with both Stark girls.   Wanted to share that interesting bit of information with friends.   Can't wait to see what either you or @Greywater-Watch can come up with for this connection.   I will go digging for a 3rd instance with another Stark.   

Yeah it's a cool little connection there between Arya and Sansa with the Weirwood, doors chairs and faces. You don't get much connection between the two sisters really do you, like you do with Bran and Aryas situations which are altogether a tad darker seeming with BR and the Kindly mans similar appearance and all the "Skinchanging" stuff. Bran actually slipping the skin of beings while Arya the blood child is actually slipping dead people's skin over her face. 

Im not sure there are any references in the books of chairs made with Weirwood other than the two you mentioned actually. 

21 minutes ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

If Bran looks back in time, I wonder if he can discover the significance of the weirwood arrows that Torhen Stark's brother carved.

I used to push the idea that the Weirwood may actually have properties that are harmful to Dragons. It all stemmed from Jojens comments on the burning of Winterfell when the flames took to the Godswood but were stopped. 

"The godswood." Meera Reed ran after the direwolf, her shield and frog spear to hand. The rest of them trailed after, threading their way through smoke and fallen stones. The air was sweeter under the trees. A few pines along the edge of the wood had been scorched, but deeper in the damp soil and green wood had defeated the flames. "There is a power in living wood," said Jojen Reed, almost as if he knew what Bran was thinking, "a power strong as fire."

This is quite a powerful wee speech from Jojen I think and I took it to mean, when I first read it, that it could play a part in the shooting down of a Dragon, which is fire made flesh. 

It could well be though that Weirwood is just superior when it comes to finding long distance targets. 

Bloodraven and his Ravens teeth seemed fond of it for that purpose. 

The table the Kingsgaurd uses in the White Sword Tower is made from weirwood.

The "on screen" conversations occuring there, from what I recall, are Jaime's meeting with his Kingsgaurd and a talk with Brienne. The talk with the Kingsgaurd doesn't seem like it would be useful to Bran. The talk with Brienne could be. 

A few interesting things are covered in this conversation.

Jaime tells Brienne that fArya is going north.

They, along with Loras, suggest that Stannis was responsible for the deaths of both Renly and Courtney Penrose. 

Jaime gives Brienne Oathkeeper. So Bran could know the sword Brienne is wielding when she beats the Bloody Mummers is made of Valyrian Steel. 

There could be a lot if other interesting "off screen" conversations here as well.

ETA: I should have made it clear that Jaime does, indeed, tell Brienne it is a fake Arya going north.

9 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Yeah it's a cool little connection there between Arya and Sansa with the Weirwood, doors chairs and faces. You don't get much connection between the two sisters really do you, like you do with Bran and Aryas situations which are altogether a tad darker seeming with BR and the Kindly mans similar appearance and all the "Skinchanging" stuff. Bran actually slipping the skin of beings while Arya the blood child is actually slipping dead people's skin over her face. 

Im not sure there are any references in the books of chairs made with Weirwood other than the two you mentioned actually. 

Well Ser, I'm conducting a search.   Will report back if I find anything juicy. 

6 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

The table the Kingsgaurd uses in the White Sword Tower is made from weirwood.

The "on screen" conversations occuring there, from what I recall, are Jaime's meeting with his Kingsgaurd and a talk with Brienne. The talk with the Kingsgaurd doesn't seem like it would be useful to Bran. The talk with Brienne could be. 

A few interesting things are covered in this conversation.

Jaime tells Brienne that fArya is going north.

They, along with Loras, suggest that Stannis was responsible for the deaths of both Renly and Courtney Penrose. 

Jaime gives Brienne Oathkeeper. So Bran could know the sword Brienne is wielding when she beats the Bloody Mummers is made of Valyrian Steel. 

There could be a lot if other interesting "off screen" conversations here as well.

Well now isn't that juicy!   You know what else could have happened at that table?  Arthur Dayne, Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent may have been given their marching orders for their mission at the Tower of Joy.   Sweet catch, Man!  Totally reconciles the need for a weirwood in a place they don't grow.    

1 minute ago, Curled Finger said:

Well now isn't that juicy!   You know what else could have happened at that table?  Arthur Dayne, Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent may have been given their marching orders for their mission at the Tower of Joy.   Sweet catch, Man!  Totally reconciles the need for a weirwood in a place they don't grow.    

Yes! Yes! Yes! I did not think of that. Thanks!

I searched Dany, Cat, Ned and Jon.   All I came up with was 2 more ebon/weirwood doors (Dany & Ned), a horn, spear and mask in the wildlings' possession (that's Ygritte's horn, by the way).   So only 2 complete instances with Arya & Sansa for the Starks.   However, we've got 3 doors with the Starks if we include Ned.   Who is it cautions us to be aware of something happening or being said 3 times?  I know I'm excited and the concept is tenuous.  We know POVs are supposed to be severely reduced by the end of TWOW.   Bran will have to tell the stories in the places we don't have POVs.  I've wondered how that could be done in Dorne, the Vale or Essos where there are no actual weirwoods. And I got my buddy @Other from another mother excited too, so my job is done.   Thanks for indulging me.

Archived