Crackpot theories you like?

Lifestream

1 minute ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

That would be Princess Rhaenys. Queen Rhaella was Rhaegar, Viserys, and Dany's mother.

The theory is that at the moment of her death Rhaenys may have accidentally skinchanged into Balerion. It works on the same level as the idea that Robb might have briefly gone into Grey Wind before Grey Wind was also killed. The cat's behavior is consistent both with feral cats and also potentially with a traumatized toddler trapped in a feline body who grows less human with each passing year. 

The idea behind Rhaenys being remotely able to skinchange has to do with her having the blood of House Blackwood through her great-great-grandmother Betha Blackwood (queen to Aegon V). This also potentially hinges on Blackwoods being descended from the Warg King. It's actually a fairly strong theory because Bloodraven is one of the most powerful skinchangers we've seen and his mother was a Blackwood. Given GRRM's comments about the dragonlords not skinchanging their dragons, it makes sense that the only Targaryen we've seen with skinchanging ability did not get it from his Targ father.

Thanks, I was just correcting my mistake when you commented. Sounds possible to me!

On 1/9/2017 at 6:04 AM, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

My favourite crackpot is that Daario and Euron are the same person. Not because I believe it, but because despite all evidence to the contrary, and the sheer weirdness of the idea, some people are really committed to it.

I kind of hope it is actually true, as it would probably break the internet.

OK my most embarrassing confession is that, despite HATING almost every other crackpot theories with the fire of a thousand suns, I am 1000% committed to this theory, and I am absolutely convinced it is true.  It will be the most brilliant plot twist since "Luke I am your father."  I can't explain why I believe this one and refuse to believe any of the others - but I do.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as crackpot bc I think it's pretty logical & reasonable but I haven't seen it a lot. Wenda the White Fawn is Septa Lemore. It's one of those things that wouldn't be plot changing but still be cool. 

My no. 1 crackpot though is definitely mance=rhaegar and halfhand=dayne.

1 hour ago, Maxxine said:

I'm not sure if this qualifies as crackpot bc I think it's pretty logical & reasonable but I haven't seen it a lot. Wenda the White Fawn is Septa Lemore. It's one of those things that wouldn't be plot changing but still be cool. 

Cause she's the Mad Maid, not the White Fawn. 

I'm surprised pretty little Lanna and the Sailor's Wife have not been mentioned. 

On 9.1.2017 at 2:39 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

This.

I love reading all the crackpotteries. I don't agree with most of them and see the fan biases and failings in logic (anagrams, anyone?) but they're good fun and give new angles to the reading experience. Fun. We all wouldn't be here unless we all really love these books, so we'll make the online experience our home where we chatter away with like-minded people. Some even go very deep.

I don't think it's likely, but I like Mance as Jon's father (Lyanna as mom). It fits the Bael the Bard story better than Rhaegar. It also has so much poetry. I wouldn't want Mance to actually be Rhaegar, though. For blood magic purposes, I would have Mance as a Targaryen descendant ...somehow through Bloodraven, Maester Aemon, Nettles, or the disowned Dragonfly Prince (by Jenny). Why would Rhaegar abscond with Lyanna? Some vision, prophesy, or message about her unborn child. He needed a third dragon head. Aemon knew Mance was a Targaryen?

7 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Cause she's the Mad Maid, not the White Fawn.

Please tell me there is an actual thread for this that I can read.

As far as my faves go, I have plenty of my own that I prefer :) but I'm still partial to the Mance =Rhaegar ones and any "Ned isn't dead" discussion - this latter crackpot has some surprisingly solid logic behind it and is always fun.

38 minutes ago, PrettyPig said:

Please tell me there is an actual thread for this that I can read.

As far as my faves go, I have plenty of my own that I prefer :) but I'm still partial to the Mance =Rhaegar ones and any "Ned isn't dead" discussion - this latter crackpot has some surprisingly solid logic behind it and is always fun.

I believe this was the first iteration. It was originally posted here but the author erased the OP. 

Viserys II was switched in Lys and fathered Daeron and Baelor, effectively removing dragon blood from the main Targaryen line, which is why the Targaryens could never again hatch dragons.

If true, Dany would have needed to get her dragon blood elsewhere. I think you know where this is headed.

Remember when Jojenpaste was considered blasphemy? Pepperidge farm remembers. Anyway I've always liked the theory that the sellsword company Oberyn started is the Bloody Mummers. I started really subscribing to it when i began believing Qyburn works for Doran but couldn't pinpoint why i thought that.

I guess it was Lblizzardborn's theory but i really really like Mance is Bloodraven's son theory. Mainly because I hate Mance=Rhaegar but couldn't just ignore the Targ imagery surrounding him.

Speaking of Bloodraven, while i don't think he affects things as much as some do, however, i do believe he took out Robert. That hunt was full of weirdness.

Now for the speed round:

Theon Durden

Jojenpaste

Nightlamp/most of GNC

Corsair King=Uncle Gery

On 1/13/2017 at 10:31 PM, The Fresh PtwP said:

Pepperidge farm remembers.

this is awesome.

yeah, Jojenpaste. i'm on board 100%

I really dislike the Mance = anybody or Raheger = anybody theories. 

my heart holds a special place for the GNC but my head says it's too convoluted.

5 years ago my favorite crackpot was that the books would be finished before the show. sadly that one proved just too far out there.

it's insane and would not fit in the story well at all but I can't help loving the Bolt-On theory. I really hope it's not true cause it would seem so awkward in the current story but I still love reading about it. to me Roose is one of the most interesting characters in this series.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:34 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Olyvar Frey as the Rosby heir isn't really all that crackpot though, since his mother was a Rosby and he's too far down in the line of inheritance for House Frey for his position at home to preclude being named someone else's heir, it actually works fine.

I love the A+H = M&J, the idea that Ashara Dayne married Howland Reed and is Meera and Jojen's mother. 

Also really like S+B = MS, with Melony Seastar as the daughter of Bloodraven and Shiera.

Then there's that Darkstar could be a missing (supposed dead) son of Aerys and Rhaella. Or that he could be the secret child of a secret marriage between Oberyn Martell and a lady of House Dayne. I was really disappointed when the crackpot that Darkstar was the "real" Viserys Targaryen was debunked.

The Tattered Prince being either a distant Targ of some kind or being Gerion Lannister.

Varys being a Targaryen descendant, probably through Aerion Brightflame.

I like (but don't believe) the idea that Jon and Dany are twins, or that Jon and Aegon are twins. Extremely unlikely but immense fun.

And I like all of my theories of course, particularly the one about Mance being a Bloodraven descendant, and the Daario one which I should really get posted one of these days.

My favorite of all time!

Jon Con is mentioned wearing a "red wolfskin cloak of the Rhoyne" in every appearance he makes on the Shy Maid.  Per Rhoynish tradition, women share equal inheritance rights with men.  Young Griff is a wolf through his maternal line, albeit a red one through his "red dragon" father. And when Tyrion makes fun of Young Griff's blue hair, he gets defensive and says he "dyes it in honor of [his mother]."

@Lost Melnibonean back on page one you listed a bunch of your favorites and I see Dancy as Tywin's bastard. I was wondnering...what about Marei? She's the one with white-gold hair and green eyes. Her love of reading kind of sets her off from the others at Chataya's and reminds one of Tyrion (who, per Genna is Tywin's son).

ETA: I looped back the Dancy thread and see I've already discussed this issue. *shakes head, reaches for caffeine*

15 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

My favorite of all time!

Jon Con is mentioned wearing a "red wolfskin cloak of the Rhoyne" in every appearance he makes on the Shy Maid.  Per Rhoynish tradition, women share equal inheritance rights with men.  Young Griff is a wolf through his maternal line, albeit a red one through his "red dragon" father. And when Tyrion makes fun of Young Griff's blue hair, he gets defensive and says he "dyes it in honor of [his mother]."

Wait, how is Young Griff a wolf on his mum's side? 

5 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Wait, how is Young Griff a wolf on his mum's side? 

If he's Jon's twin then Lyanna is his mother. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Marei didna have golden hair. She had "long straight silvery hair." Maybe Aerys knew about Tywin's passage, eh? Let's push another pot off that shelf, shall we?

Over 200 years of horny Targaryens in that city, there are bound to be plenty of little dragonseeds throughout, and Marei's mother could have been one.

Yes, more pots off the shelf!

There's been some theories touching the issue of eternal vampires, which lead me, some years ago, to a small theory I once read in reddit stating that the First Men were a race of human sorcerers who overrun the also magic but physically weaker children of the forest, taking their own religion and magic practices as their own. In coherence with this, all founders of First Men houses were wizards and or skinchangers. Was fun to read, and crackpot.

Archived