Tyrions Defense

1. To the OP: I think it's more or less the same way as Tyrion acts in his joffreycide trial. He is convinced that his verdict has already been made. So after arguing in the start he feels unfairly judged, his inferiority complex locks in and he shuts down. 

2. To the knife: For a long time I really hated that Littlefinger gambles so much in this scene. I was completely with @Toastedzergling. But literally a moment ago I gained a new point of view. 

If you look at what Petyr actually said, you'll see that his lie was way less blatant as I always thought. He tells everything true but the fact to whom he lost the knife. 

So if it gets out that it actually was Robert who won the bet, he can still say he erred he could also say  that it didn't make a difference because Tyrion was the only one in the kings carriage who could have taken the knife away.

If well orchestrated this even could lead to more tension and chaos. Cause why did someone attempt to kill Bran with the kings knife? A kind who had in front of witnesses state that it would be best for Bran to die.  

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:52 AM, The Bastards Giant Friend said:

After Cat took Tyrion, why didn't he point out the fact that it makes no sense for him to hire an assassin and then head north when he would have to cross by winterfell after the assassination? I mean, Bran wasn't going to be poisoned or something clever, so he would have been obviously murdered and despite the fact that Cat knows Tyrion is book smart she assumes he would be so dumb as to hire a murderer, go North, then stop by at Winterfell on his way home for a nice bed? Tyrion doesn't make any real defense for himself and Cat never pushes the matter. Is this just a plot-push by GRRM or am I missing something?

Cat may not know he stopped at Winterfell, but that could be easily checked.

Tyrion convincingly argued for his innocence.  Catelyn had begun to doubt whether he was guilty.  She thought that the Eyrie would be a safe place to keep him in custody for the time being.

Unfortunately, things escalated at the Eyrie.  Lysa decided to frame him for the murder of Jon Arryn.

I think a lot of the bad in the whole Tyrion "abduction" was because of Catelyn she should have let her Lord and husband, who so just happened to be HOTK, and Robert's best friend handle the situation. Just like we see through out the rest of her "life" in the books. Catelyn rushes in and makes a decision and never thinks about the consequences. We don't realize it at the time, but this is all she does. She does give some good council to Rob(Frey and Balon). She also even tells Stannis and Renly they will cancel each other out if they continue. Overall though she makes careless choice after careless choice. The abduction of Tyrion, to releasing Jamie her choices never make sense when you think about it in a male dominated society. I would have thought after the Tyrion debacle they would have sent her home. That's just me though. 

8 hours ago, SeanF said:

Tyrion convincingly argued for his innocence.  Catelyn had begun to doubt whether he was guilty.  She thought that the Eyrie would be a safe place to keep him in custody for the time being.

Unfortunately, things escalated at the Eyrie.  Lysa decided to frame him for the murder of Jon Arryn.

Well, as a Cat-fan I am sorry to say this but that doesn´t really matter what Catelyns intentions were. Things escalated from a situation she created.

What did happen is that Tyrion was placed in a position where he was closed to be killed in a process the Vale chooses to call justice. There is no way the king nor other nobles can accept this due to the signal it sends. Suddenly, any noble could get his son kidnapped and "held trial over" in another province.

There is no real good political response to this other than "have the crown execute Lysa and Cat for murder and holding an unauthoritized trial" solution. Granted, a compromize could be struck I suppose, involving som public Stark shaming, shitton of money and/or resources, increased Lannister influence at court (like forcing Robert to accept Tywin as hand for the next ten years) and a ward or two (Likely Arya and Rickon) sent to Casterly Rock to make sure of the Norths good behaviour. Or prove somehow that Littlefinger is behind all this. The likeliest outcome is war.

And I think all those accusing Tywin for being a rotten PoS who raid the riverlands, rape the peasants and steals their shit forget this.

Archived