Where in the Seven Kingdoms would you live?

Joey Crows

The other cities and lands not withstanding, where would you feel most comfortable in the Seven Kingdoms and why?

If I had to live in the North I think White Harbor would be my only choice. Great seafood and mostly untouched by the war (other than the knights and heirs that leave to fight).

In the South, I think Oldtown would be amazing. Beautiful architecture and the seat of the Maesters would be a boon for anyone who values books and history. While still being far enough away from the fighting to reasonably expect survival. Although, the Arbor would be a secluded place to drink the best wine and steer clear of trouble.

If I were interested in safety with an eye toward power, I would choose either Highgarden or the Vale. Lush greenery and crops aplenty but still a seat of influence.

Thoughts?

Just now, Adam Yozza said:

I'm the complete opposite to Lifestream. I hate warm weather. So I'd probably say the North, most likely White Harbour. If I had to pick somewhere in the South, I'd probably have to go with Oldtown

Man i haven't met many people who like warm weather. I mean i have met people who tolerate it but not really like it. But white harbors good. 

The North is poor, isolated and cold. Once winter comes most die of hunger, while their Lords are hardly rich. The Westerlands is ruled with an iron fist by the Lannisters and their henchmen (the Cleganes). The Vale is isolated, cold and with the mountain clans constantly acting like terrorists. The Riverlands look nice but they are divided, weak and every war seem to end there. Dorne is a desert and the crownlands are weak.

If I am smallfolk and I have the potential to become a good swordsman then I'd spent my youth in the region between the Reach, Dorne and the Stormlands. Some of the finest swordsmen in Westeros had developed there so hopefully I will become good with the sword. Once I am good enough I'll travel to Essos and I work myself up to some sellsword company. Once I've done enough money I'd buy a Lordship in the Reach, I'd marry a nice merchant girl or Lord's daughter and I live happily ever after for the rest of my life. 

24 minutes ago, Wrl6199 said:

Man i haven't met many people who like warm weather. I mean i have met people who tolerate it but not really like it. But white harbors good. 

I can stand it for about a week if I'm on holiday and have the ability to either jump in the pool or grab a cold drink whenever I want. But I live in England and it's miserable here most of the time. I really dislike it when it's warm. Guess I'm just not used to it.

1 hour ago, Wrl6199 said:

I dunno if it counts but for me a good room temperature is somewhere near 30°C(with light clothing), though not many share my preference.

It's just right for me.

And I guess it's easier to deal with the cold, just wear more clothes.

Heat on the other hand...You can only take off so many clothes before you end up naked.

Dorne. The climate and food are much like where I've lived for the last (many years...) - clearly, I like it, unlike you hardy midWesterners and northern Europeans.... A lot more social freedoms, less stereotyping for women, economic freedom, than the rest of Westeros. Wide variety of climate/terrain regions, from seacoast to serious desert to mountains, to verdant stream banks. Barely touched by Winter.

2 hours ago, zandru said:

Dorne. The climate and food are much like where I've lived for the last (many years...) - clearly, I like it, unlike you hardy midWesterners and northern Europeans.... A lot more social freedoms, less stereotyping for women, economic freedom, than the rest of Westeros. Wide variety of climate/terrain regions, from seacoast to serious desert to mountains, to verdant stream banks. Barely touched by Winter.

How did I forget the food - food sounds much better in Dorne!

If I was a lord, Raventree Hall (shouldn't it be obvious? lol). If I was a peasant...Raventree Hall would be nice in peacetime (as the lord is extremly loyal to his peasants, but Highgarden sounds nice too. I think it depends greatly on the individual lords kindness to his peasants. Edmure Tully has shown willingness to protect gis small folks, so Riverrun might be okay too. Something tells me Jason Mallister is cut from the same cloth, so Seaguard perhaps as well. I guess my final order is : Raventree Hall, Highgarden, Seaguard, Riverrun, and to round out a top 5... Oldtown (seems nice and away from most fighting)

Archived