Book readers, Which character do you miss the most in the show?

khal drogon

1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

The real Sansa and Jaime. For minor characters that were on the show, the real Wyman Manderly and Jeyne Poole (was in pilot, sat next to Sansa at banquet), Tyene Sand, Doran, Hotah.

Add missing Brienne, Jon, Arya, Samwell, Tyrion, and Theon too. For the minors I miss Euron, Asha/Yara, Wyman, Jeyne Poole, Doran, Ellaria, Tyene, Loras, Blackfish, Royce and Stannis. Oh and I miss book LF and Varys as well. Aside from a few episodes of personality amnesia Davos is one of the few in character.

Non show characters I miss - Garlan, Arianne, LS, Aegon. With the leaks and the bore KL was in S6 I now wish they had incorporated him. And for Yara's and Theon's sake I wish they put in Vic.

Originally it made sense to me why some characters were cut and merged into pre-existing ones, but it always is at the detriment of the characterization and logic where most of the characters have developed mutliple personality syndrome. 

I don't miss Ramsay.

17 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Add missing Brienne, Jon, Arya, Samwell, Tyrion, and Theon too. For the minors I miss Euron, Asha/Yara, Wyman, Jeyne Poole, Doran, Ellaria, Tyene, Loras, Blackfish, Royce and Stannis. Oh and I miss book LF and Varys as well. Aside from a few episodes of personality amnesia Davos is one of the few in character.

Non show characters I miss - Garlan, Arianne, LS, Aegon. With the leaks and the bore KL was in S6 I now wish they had incorporated him. And for Yara's and Theon's sake I wish they put in Vic.

Originally it made sense to me why some characters were cut and merged into pre-existing ones, but it always is at the detriment of the characterization and logic where most of the characters have developed mutliple personality syndrome. 

I don't miss Ramsay.

Oh Doran. I think we got him ( a few scenes of a similar Doran). It's a pitty he didn't last to have his story because he was "weak". But it's Fire and Blood what matters, you know.

17 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Yep, all of these. Of course also Jaime and Sansa. I'd add Daenerys and Catelyn as well.

When it comes to characters that weren't on the show: I love Dorne in the books and Arianne is one of my favourites, so I obviously miss her. 

Also: Lady Stoneheart and Jeyne Westerling. To some extent also Jon Con and Young Griff. I can understand why they cut them, but I liked Jon Con in the books and I think they would have made the story more interesting.

I really don't like Victarion, but Theon's and Asha/Yara's story would have been better if they had included him. 

5 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I'm in a minority probably, but I also miss Penny. 

I miss her as well.

42 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I'm in a minority probably, but I also miss Penny. 

I'm not necessarily a fan of Penny, but well she does add something to Tyrion's growth, and puts his previous life in a new perspective.

I get the cutting of characters from an abbreviated story POV, but it has a huge impact on characterization of main and secondary characters whose own characterization is sacrificed to fill in the shoes of a minor character.

35 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

I really don't like Victarion, but Theon's and Asha/Yara's story would have been better if they had included him.

Exactly! I don't like Vic as a personality and he's not deeply layered. But if it means having Asha being cramped ino becoming Vicky, I prefer having Vic himself.

20 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

I don't miss Ramsay.

Cannot argue there.

On 1/14/2017 at 1:24 AM, sweetsunray said:

Exactly! I don't like Vic as a personality and he's not deeply layered. But if it means having Asha being cramped ino becoming Vicky, I prefer having Vic himself.

That's true but if done properly he will appeal to the show demographic. And we would have got true Euron instead of the amalgam we got.

I've been wracking my brain, and I can't come up with a single character I find important or interesting that the show failed to include. All of my favorite characters made it into the show. If I have to say anybody, however, I guess I would go with Aegon, because he's the most likely to make any kind of impact in the plot, though I believe he's a red herring and is simply another obstacle for Danerys to overcome.

Not that I think the show made a mistake in cutting this character -the gods know that that they've hacked and altered many far more important characters than this- but I would have loved to see one of my favorites, Nimble Dick portrayed on screen.

Of course, as with any character that the show has cut, I'm really not that disappointed, as not seeing a particular character on the show, is far less infuriating than seeing what d$d do to the characters that they attempt to portray.

On 15/01/2017 at 7:39 PM, Dragon in the North said:

I've been wracking my brain, and I can't come up with a single character I find important or interesting that the show failed to include. <snip>

I am absolutely shocked to read a response such as this from you. Of course, of the hundreds, and hundreds of characters not in the show, the amazing d$d got it absolutely perfect.

2 hours ago, Darkstream said:

I am absolutely shocked to read a response such as this from you. Of course, of the hundreds, and hundreds of characters not in the show, the amazing d$d got it absolutely perfect.

You can't be too shocked. From what I've seen, the reason AFFC/ADWD are considered subpar compared to their predecessors is because many readers found the characters introduced in those books to be weak and uninteresting. And D&D are far from infallible. I wish Euron had also been cut and they simply used Balon to fulfill his role. I loved the actor and consider Balon to bemore interesting.

Archived