Book readers, Which character do you miss the most in the show?

khal drogon

Arianne Martell, Val and Jon Connington as larger characters.

Garlan Tyrell and Tytos Blackwood as smaller characters.

And for characters that made the show in a hollow version of their book forms - Wyman Manderly, Jaime Lannister, all of the Umbers and Sansa Stark.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:54 PM, shameeka said:

Am I the only one who misses Hyle Hunt?

You're not the only one. I miss him too, along with Nimble Dick and Septon Meribald. I also wish Randyll Tarly got more screentime and is shown to be more than a cranky dad.

I can see how the AFFC Brienne storyline wouldn't translate well into TV, but it was amazing to read.

On 9.5.2017 at 6:11 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I've only read the books once and failed to make that connection about what happened to Jeyne Poole between when Jaime sees her as she is leaving KL and when she gets to Winterfell.  Chilling.  Littlefinger is much more of a monster than I really considered.

That's not when it happens. It's in book 1 when genius Sansa goes to Cersei after everyone is killed (but before Ned is) all "So, is everything okay, because Jeyne doesn't stop crying? She is worried about her father." and Cersei's like "Who?" and LF says "I'll find a place for her." leaving genius Sansa wondering if that went all that well. Then she is "trained" and then she is given to the Boltons (at 13).

On 18.5.2017 at 2:54 AM, shameeka said:

Am I the only one who misses Hyle Hunt?

No + 1

Most I miss:

1) Lady Stoneheart Idgi! it would have been so great on TV

2) The Jeynes

3) Aegon and JonCon

I also don't like the downplaying of Tysha and creepy Illyrio.

I think the show did a good job of cutting unnecessary characters, but it didn't go far enough. I'd have cut Dorne and the Ironborn (except for Oberyn, Theon, Asha, Balon) from both show and novels. 

I miss the smaller characters: Ghost of High Heart, Patchface, especially. I also miss the wolves who are underutilized on the show. Where was Ghost during the Battle of the Bastards? If the show forgets about Nymeria next season, I will spit.

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2017 at 0:20 PM, khal drogon said:

Mine is Victarion Greyjoy.

Gotta be Arianne and Young Griff

(I'm hoping that in the books, Young Griff really is Aegon.  I think that will be HILARIOUS, since they left him out of the show.)

On 5/30/2017 at 10:17 PM, ftheking said:

That's not when it happens. It's in book 1 when genius Sansa goes to Cersei after everyone is killed (but before Ned is) all "So, is everything okay, because Jeyne doesn't stop crying? She is worried about her father." and Cersei's like "Who?" and LF says "I'll find a place for her." leaving genius Sansa wondering if that went all that well. Then she is "trained" and then she is given to the Boltons (at 13).N

Spoiler

o + 1

Most I miss:

1) Lady Stoneheart Idgi! it would have been so great on TV

2) The Jeynes

3) Aegon and JonCon

I also don't like the downplaying of Tysha and creepy Illyrio.

Actually, our Sansa is even more, well, Sansa,  than you've painted .

Here are her thoughts as she prepares for her appearance before the SC

They came for Sansa on the third day.

She chose a simple dress of dark grey wool, plainly cut but richly embroidered around the collar and sleeves. Her fingers felt thick and clumsy as she struggled with the silver fastenings without the benefit of servants. Jeyne Poole had been confined with her, but Jeyne was useless. Her face was puffy from all her crying, and she could not seem to stop sobbing about her father.

"I'm certain your father is well," Sansa told her when she had finally gotten the dress buttoned right. "I'll ask the queen to let you see him." She thought that kindness might lift Jeyne's spirits, but the other girl just looked at her with red, swollen eyes and began to cry all the harder. She was such a child.

A Game of Thrones - Sansa IV

And here are her reactions when she returns to her room afterward, to find Jeyne gone:

Jeyne Poole and all her things were gone when Ser Mandon Moore returned Sansa to the high tower of Maegor's Holdfast. No more weeping, she thought gratefully. Yet somehow it seemed colder with Jeyne gone, even after she'd built a fire. She pulled a chair close to the hearth, took down one of her favorite books, and lost herself in the stories of Florian and Jonquil, of Lady Shella and the Rainbow Knight, of valiant Prince Aemon and his doomed love for his brother's queen.

It was not until later that night, as she was drifting off to sleep, that Sansa realized she had forgotten to ask about her sister.

A Game of Thrones - Sansa IV

What a master storyteller GRRM is, to be sure!

Arianne (+ true Doran) and Quentyn Martell (although I knew there was no chance from the beginning for Quentyn considering his story, I really like the normal guy prince trying to be up to expectations and heroicly... failing idea)

For Arianne on the other hand I don't understand how they ended with the characters and "plot" they prefered to the original Dorne story.

2 hours ago, Lord Freypie said:

Arianne (+ true Doran) and Quentyn Martell (although I knew there was no chance from the beginning for Quentyn considering his story, I really like the normal guy prince trying to be up to expectations and heroicly... failing idea)

For Arianne on the other hand I don't understand how they ended with the characters and "plot" they prefered to the original Dorne story.

The problem with Arianne is her plot can't exist without Quentyn and Aegon. If only they have made Ellaria into a smart mastermind type character than a vengeful sand snake. Also book Doran should have been in the show.

1 hour ago, khal drogon said:

The problem with Arianne is her plot can't exist without Quentyn and Aegon. If only they have made Ellaria into a smart mastermind type character than a vengeful sand snake. Also book Doran should have been in the show.

They could have kept "all Martels want vengeance for Oberyn but as they don't talk to each other the daughter plots to crown Myrcella (eventually inviting Jaime to Dorne to try to convince Myrcella "uncle" to support the plot if they wanted Jaime in this story), while the father (final reveal) is opposing her but only because he's secretely planning to support Daenerys (Myrcella could have been accidently killed with the Arianne's plot fail if they weren't wanting to keep the actress around).

They could even do it with less actors, trading 3 sand snakes for one Arianne.

Val and Dalla, Mance's wife.  I was convinced that Martin was going to expose some supernatural matrilineal heritage to the wall (Val with Stark blood lines) and why there must always be a [female] Stark in Winterfell [crypt].

Archived