Lost Melnibonean

Tyrion will go to Braavos

2 posts in this topic

Tyrion will go to Braavos. 

Two of the ships that had been here yesterday were gone, Cat saw, but five new ones had docked; a small carrack called the Brazen Monkey, a huge Ibbenese whaler that reeked of tar and blood and whale oil, two battered cogs from Pentos, and a lean green galley up from Old Volantis.

Cat of the Canals, Feast 34

To be brazen is to be bold and without shame. To brazen is to endure an embarrassing or difficult situation by behaving with apparent confidence and lack of shame. And this Brazen Monkey is small. Remind you of anyone? A “twisted little monkey demon,” perhaps? 

The little Brazen Monkey proved to be from Gulltown, with a Westerosi crew who were glad to talk to someone in the Common Tongue. ... "Where's a man to go to find a bit of sport?"

So, the little Brazen Monkey is looking for a whore, wherever whores go, and Arya directs him to the Sailor’s Wife and pretty little Lanna...

"The best whores are at the Happy Port, down by where the mummers' Ship is moored." She pointed. ... "Ask for Merry. Meralyn is her true name, but everyone calls her Merry, and she is." Merry bought a dozen oysters every time Cat came by the brothel and shared them with her girls. She had a good heart, everyone agreed. ...

Her girls were nice as well; Blushing Bethany and the Sailor's Wife, one-eyed Yna who could tell your fortune from a drop of blood, pretty little Lanna, even Assadora, the Ibbenese woman with the mustache. They might not be beautiful, but they were kind to her. "The Happy Port is where all the porters go," Cat assured the men of the Brazen Monkey. "‘The boys unload the ships,' Merry says, ‘and my girls unload the lads who sail them.'"

Recall that the Sailor’s Wife “only beds the ones who marry her.” And here we learn a bit about Lanna...

Yna was there too, braiding Lanna's fine long golden hair. Another stupid love song. Lanna was always begging the singer to play her stupid love songs. She was the youngest of the whores, only ten-and-four. Merry asked three times as much for her as for any of the other girls, Cat knew.

That’s a lot of information about a bit character, no? Now, here’s the kicker...

· MERALYN, called MERRY, proprietor of the Happy Port, a brothel near Ragman’s Harbor,

· The SAILOR’S WIFE, a whore at the Happy Port,

· LANNA her daughter, a young whore,

Appendix, Feast

Yes, Lanna is the pretty, little, golden-haired, 14 year-old daughter of the Sailor’s Wife, for whom Merry charges extra.

"After Jaime had made his confession, to drive home the lesson, Lord Tywin brought my wife in and gave her to his guards. They paid her fair enough. A silver for each man, how many whores command that high a price? He sat me down in the corner of the barracks and bade me watch, and at the end she had so many silvers the coins were slipping through her fingers and rolling on the floor, she . . . " The smoke was stinging his eyes. Tyrion cleared his throat and turned away from the fire, to gaze out into darkness. "Lord Tywin had me go last," he said in a quiet voice. "And he gave me a gold coin to pay her, because I was a Lannister, and worth more."

Tyrion VI, Game 42

Lanna is worth more... just like a Lannister.

Tyrion’s head is going to freaking explode!

Edited by Lost Melnibonean

And check this out...

It made her angry to see Dareon sitting there so brazen, making eyes at Lanna as his fingers danced across the harp strings. The whores called him the black singer, but there was hardly any black about him now. With the coin his singing brought him, the crow had transformed himself into a peacock. Today he wore a plush purple cloak lined with vair, a striped white-and-lilac tunic, and the parti-colored breeches of a bravo, but he owned a silken cloak as well, and one made of burgundy velvet that was lined with cloth-of-gold. The only black about him was his boots.

Compare Dareon’s brazen outfit to the brazen, twisted little monkey demon’s...

His doublet was divided down the middle; the left side was purple velvet with bronze studs; the right, yellow wool embroidered in green floral patterns. His breeches were similarly split; the right leg was solid green, the left leg striped in red and white.

Tyrion IV, Dance 14

Dareon had once wed the Sailor's Wife, who would only bed with men who married her. The Happy Port sometimes had three or four weddings a night. Often the cheerful wine-soaked red priest Ezzelyno performed the rites. Elsewise it was Eustace, who had once been a septon at the Sept-Beyond-the-Sea. If neither priest nor septon was on hand, one of the whores would run to the Ship and fetch back a mummer. Merry always claimed the mummers made much better priests than priests, especially Myrmello.

The weddings were loud and jolly, with a lot of drinking. Whenever Cat happened by with her barrow, the Sailor's Wife would insist that her new husband buy some oysters, to stiffen him for the consummation. She was good that way, and quick to laugh as well, but Cat thought there was something sad about her too.

The other whores said that the Sailor's Wife visited the Isle of the Gods on the days when her flower was in bloom, and knew all the gods who lived there, even the ones that Braavos had forgotten. They said she went to pray for her first husband, her true husband, who had been lost at sea when she was a girl no older than Lanna. "She thinks that if she finds the right god, maybe he will send the winds and blow her old love back to her," said one-eyed Yna, who had known her longest, "but I pray it never happens. Her love is dead, I could taste that in her blood. If he ever should come back to her, it will be a corpse."

Like I said, that’s a lot of detail for a bit character.