Tyrion will go to Braavos

Lost Melnibonean

Tyrion will go to Braavos. 

Two of the ships that had been here yesterday were gone, Cat saw, but five new ones had docked; a small carrack called the Brazen Monkey, a huge Ibbenese whaler that reeked of tar and blood and whale oil, two battered cogs from Pentos, and a lean green galley up from Old Volantis.

Cat of the Canals, Feast 34

To be brazen is to be bold and without shame. To brazen is to endure an embarrassing or difficult situation by behaving with apparent confidence and lack of shame. And this Brazen Monkey is small. Remind you of anyone? A “twisted little monkey demon,” perhaps? 

The little Brazen Monkey proved to be from Gulltown, with a Westerosi crew who were glad to talk to someone in the Common Tongue. ... "Where's a man to go to find a bit of sport?"

So, the little Brazen Monkey is looking for a whore, wherever whores go, and Arya directs him to the Sailor’s Wife and pretty little Lanna...

"The best whores are at the Happy Port, down by where the mummers' Ship is moored." She pointed. ... "Ask for Merry. Meralyn is her true name, but everyone calls her Merry, and she is." Merry bought a dozen oysters every time Cat came by the brothel and shared them with her girls. She had a good heart, everyone agreed. ...

Her girls were nice as well; Blushing Bethany and the Sailor's Wife, one-eyed Yna who could tell your fortune from a drop of blood, pretty little Lanna, even Assadora, the Ibbenese woman with the mustache. They might not be beautiful, but they were kind to her. "The Happy Port is where all the porters go," Cat assured the men of the Brazen Monkey. "‘The boys unload the ships,' Merry says, ‘and my girls unload the lads who sail them.'"

Recall that the Sailor’s Wife “only beds the ones who marry her.” And here we learn a bit about Lanna...

Yna was there too, braiding Lanna's fine long golden hair. Another stupid love song. Lanna was always begging the singer to play her stupid love songs. She was the youngest of the whores, only ten-and-four. Merry asked three times as much for her as for any of the other girls, Cat knew.

That’s a lot of information about a bit character, no? Now, here’s the kicker...

· MERALYN, called MERRY, proprietor of the Happy Port, a brothel near Ragman’s Harbor,

· The SAILOR’S WIFE, a whore at the Happy Port,

· LANNA her daughter, a young whore,

Appendix, Feast

Yes, Lanna is the pretty, little, golden-haired, 14 year-old daughter of the Sailor’s Wife, for whom Merry charges extra.

"After Jaime had made his confession, to drive home the lesson, Lord Tywin brought my wife in and gave her to his guards. They paid her fair enough. A silver for each man, how many whores command that high a price? He sat me down in the corner of the barracks and bade me watch, and at the end she had so many silvers the coins were slipping through her fingers and rolling on the floor, she . . . " The smoke was stinging his eyes. Tyrion cleared his throat and turned away from the fire, to gaze out into darkness. "Lord Tywin had me go last," he said in a quiet voice. "And he gave me a gold coin to pay her, because I was a Lannister, and worth more."

Tyrion VI, Game 42

Lanna is worth more... just like a Lannister.

Tyrion’s head is going to freaking explode!

ETA

She loved me. She was a crofter’s daughter, she loved me and she wed me, she put her trust in me.

Tyrion I, Dance 1

And check this out...

It made her angry to see Dareon sitting there so brazen, making eyes at Lanna as his fingers danced across the harp strings. The whores called him the black singer, but there was hardly any black about him now. With the coin his singing brought him, the crow had transformed himself into a peacock. Today he wore a plush purple cloak lined with vair, a striped white-and-lilac tunic, and the parti-colored breeches of a bravo, but he owned a silken cloak as well, and one made of burgundy velvet that was lined with cloth-of-gold. The only black about him was his boots.

Compare Dareon’s brazen outfit to the brazen, twisted little monkey demon’s...

His doublet was divided down the middle; the left side was purple velvet with bronze studs; the right, yellow wool embroidered in green floral patterns. His breeches were similarly split; the right leg was solid green, the left leg striped in red and white.

Tyrion IV, Dance 14

Dareon had once wed the Sailor's Wife, who would only bed with men who married her. The Happy Port sometimes had three or four weddings a night. Often the cheerful wine-soaked red priest Ezzelyno performed the rites. Elsewise it was Eustace, who had once been a septon at the Sept-Beyond-the-Sea. If neither priest nor septon was on hand, one of the whores would run to the Ship and fetch back a mummer. Merry always claimed the mummers made much better priests than priests, especially Myrmello.

The weddings were loud and jolly, with a lot of drinking. Whenever Cat happened by with her barrow, the Sailor's Wife would insist that her new husband buy some oysters, to stiffen him for the consummation. She was good that way, and quick to laugh as well, but Cat thought there was something sad about her too.

The other whores said that the Sailor's Wife visited the Isle of the Gods on the days when her flower was in bloom, and knew all the gods who lived there, even the ones that Braavos had forgotten. They said she went to pray for her first husband, her true husband, who had been lost at sea when she was a girl no older than Lanna. "She thinks that if she finds the right god, maybe he will send the winds and blow her old love back to her," said one-eyed Yna, who had known her longest, "but I pray it never happens. Her love is dead, I could taste that in her blood. If he ever should come back to her, it will be a corpse."

Like I said, that’s a lot of detail for a bit character.

• 1 month later...

You know, that's not a bad question. How would Tyrion do all that? Now, I'm not certain at all that Daenerys is going to ever reach Westeros, nor that Tyrion would be allowed to go with her if she did, nor that it would happen in the next book. But still, it's a good question. Braavos is pretty far away from Meereen, more so if you don't go overland. I don't see it happening.

That said, let's go over your hints. To connect the Brazen Monkey with Tyrion takes quite a stretch. For one, the "Twisted Demon Monkey" thing was a false image of Tyrion that some simpletons had in their mind. So, to connect the two, Tyrion doesn't really come into it anyway. For two, the Brazen Monkey isn't looking for a whore; the Brazen Monkey is a ship. The sailor on the Brazen Monkey is looking for a whore. I'm just not seeing the connection.

I don't think the Sailor's Wife is Tysha. I mean, for one, I'm pretty sure (could be wrong, though) that Tysha had sex with Tyrion before they were married, so why the whole "marriage first" thing? The big reason I don't think they're one in the same is that I don't think Tysha really cared for Tyrion (I think Tywin was on the money with his assumption that Tysha married Tyrion for his money), whereas the Sailor's Wife seems to care for her missing sailor husband.

I really disagree with your idea that it's a lot of information for just some throwaway character (well, I disagree with your assumption that this means there's more to her, anyway; it is a lot of information). A lot of throwaway characters have a detailed backstory; Pretty Meris has a decent amount of page time dedicated to detailing her history, but I don't think she's any more than she seems. I think it's just something that GRRM does; he writes more than he needs to about characters who don't play a massive role, in an effort to make them seem more realistic, and to create a more detailed world. But I don't think that all of these backstories make their way into the finished product. For instance, he wrote a backstory for Biter that never made it into the books. This is just some of the backstory that did make it into the books. I don't think there's any more to it.

I don't see any reason for Tyrion to go to Braavos, I don't really see your foreshadowing that he's going to, and if he gets there, I don't think Tysha is the Sailor's Wife anyway.

Anyway, you'd do well to answer that question you posed. If Tyrion is going to make it back to Westeros, I doubt he has time to make a stop in Braavos.

On 1/11/2017 at 6:09 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

And check this out...

Compare Dareon’s brazen outfit to the brazen, twisted little monkey demon’s...

Tyrion IV, Dance 14

Like I said, that’s a lot of detailarrow-10x10.png for a bit character.

What if the Sailors wife is talking about Gerion Lannister? After all he was lost at sea.

If Tyrion ever meets Tysha again I don't think it will be in Bravos. Probably Volantis, Lys or Pentos.

And I agree that Tywin assumption that she only loved him for the money is probably right.

48 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

But that doesn't mean Tyrion would meet Tysha again. I don't see what that would achieve anyway. 

Tyrion's head will freaking explode. 

Perhaps I' ll find her there. A man should cling to hope. He wondered what he would say to her. I am sorry that I let them rape you, love. I thought you were a whore. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? I want to go back to our cottage, to the way it was when we were man and wife.

Tyrion IV, Dance 14

35 minutes ago, Roose on the Loose said:

Two of the ships that had been here yesterday were gone, Cat saw, but five new ones had docked; a small carrack called the Brazen Monkey, a huge Ibbenese whaler that reeked of tar and blood and whale oil, two battered cogs from Pentos, and a lean green galley up from Old Volantis.

Yezzan zo Qaggaz?

Sweet!

On 2/16/2017 at 11:38 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

"That's just stupid, LM. How in the hell is Tyrion gonna meet Dany, go to Braavos, and get back to Westeros in the next book?" 

You said it, not me. ;)

Tyrion and Dany's arch is supposed to intersect at one point.  Perhaps it's in Braavos?  

Only problem is, Tysha was never a whore.  I mean, there IS the danger of labeling that causes someone to become what they are labeled as.  Children who are constantly told (explicitly or implicitly) that they are bad and will never amount to anything will more likely have low self-esteem and low self-efficacy in their adult life, "believing" that they aren't worth much/anything.  This effect is one of the dangers of locking up juveniles; it very well could reinforce criminal behavior later in life. 

Being told that she is "a whore" and having that reinforced 50+ times, Tysha might have "learned" that she was "no better than a whore."  ... But still, Tysha wasn't a whore to begin with.  I'd much prefer to see her being a successful business woman somewhere in Essos.

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Tyrion's head will freaking explode. 

Tyrion IV, Dance 14

It'll be more interesting if he never met her again. For good or bad, the Tysha incident had shaped his character and a lot of that is because he couldn't know the fate of her. The mystery is interesting. And aren't we already tired of Tyrion's chance encounters? 

I have been thinking about this today actually.  This is where I am at...

Tyrion was 13 and Tysha was scarcely a year older when they met and married (for 2 weeks).  Lanna is 14, the same age as when Tysha met Tyrion and  the same age as when The Sailors Wife lost her husband.  Making The Sailors Wife 28, Tysha 28 and Tyrion 27, which I believe is accurate.  I am assuming that The Sailors Wife would have been pregnant at the time she lost her husband as she was only 14 at the time, and that is about an age that she could start to have children.

Now as Tyrion was 13, and Jaime is 8-9 years older, that means Jaime was about 21-22 when the whole Tysha thing occurred.  Approximately 2-3 years after the rebellion - as Jaime was about 19 when he killed Aerys.  So he must have been in Casterly Rock with Cersei as an honor guard for her (I suspect it was to present baby Joffery to her family).  However, Joffery is still 12years old when Jon turns 15 very shortly after arriving at the wall.  Making Joffery about 2.5yrs younger.  So he would have been born at about the same time that Tysha met Tyrion....but Jaime was at Joffery's birth AND at Casterly Rock when Tysha came about.  Cersei most likely would not have travelled with a baby so very young across the realm.  So I don't know why Jaime - as a Kings Guard was there with Tyrion at that time. 

When we meet Lanna in aFFC she is 14.  As we can't be certain how much time has passed with Arya in Bravos it is hard to know just how old Joffery would have been at that same time, but I assume it would be about 14 yrs old (he was 13 when he died but I think almost a year would have passed in that time).  Which would make Lanna less than a year younger than Joffery, or thereabouts. 

I think that it could be likely that Tyrion got her pregnant during their time together, and after Tywin had her raped she fled Westeros knowing that he would kill her child if he found out it was a Lannister bastard.  A bit like Arya's flight to Saltpans, and upon her finding the only ship in port was going to Bravos she goes there. 

On 17/02/2017 at 7:16 PM, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

I don't think the Sailor's Wife is Tysha. I mean, for one, I'm pretty sure (could be wrong, though) that Tysha had sex with Tyrion before they were married, so why the whole "marriage first" thing? The big reason I don't think they're one in the same is that I don't think Tysha really cared for Tyrion (I think Tywin was on the money with his assumption that Tysha married Tyrion for his money), whereas the Sailor's Wife seems to care for her missing sailor husband.

It does seem to suggest (from Tyrion's experience with Shae) that there is a hint of Tysha being false too. 

But it could also be that after knowing she was pregnant and being alone, she missed Tyrion and his genuine devotion to her.  I don't know, but I do think Lanna is his, and that TSW is Tysha.  I also definitely think Tyrion will pop up in Bravos looking for a whore, what makes me curious is whether Yna's prophecy of 

"Her love is dead, I could taste that in her blood. If he ever should come back to her, it will be a corpse"

will be Tyrion or not. I hope not as I quite like the little guy (and I think someone will cut out his tongue instead,as hinted many times)

7 hours ago, khal drogon said:

It'll be more interesting if he never met her again. For good or bad, the Tysha incident had shaped his character and a lot of that is because he couldn't know the fate of her. The mystery is interesting. And aren't we already tired of Tyrion's chance encounters? 

Nope. 

Archived