Ordos

I don't want the big hardcover

30 posts in this topic

I'm very confident that Winds of Winter will be out this year or next year. I'll be very surprised if it was delayed until 2019.

But when it is released, I don't want to immediately buy the first copy because they are those large hardcover books. All of my Song of Ice and Fire books are the smaller softcovers and the cover drawings are not all matching. Some have the regular drawings of helmets, shields and sword hilts but two of them have photos from the TV series. So it's not all matching for a perfect collection. I know that some of you like the first edition hardcovers because they are of great value in the future, but I only started reading in 2012 so I did not get my hands on the earlier hardcovers. Buying a hardcover now will only make my collection look more mismatched. 

Also, I prefer the softcover because they are not big bulky things to bring around when on the move. I am often seen in public with a book in my hand in case I have to wait for something and I have something to read. If I'm on the plane, it will make my bag so much heavier. I don't worry about keeping the book in mint condition because I have no intention on giving the books away or selling them as second hand until maybe when I'm 80 years old.

By now you will be saying 'then just get it as an e-book'. But that's a complicated issue and I'm not getting into that. Plus I really like paper. Finally, I believe smaller book means less paper used.

So I want to know; will your eagerness to get the book make you buy the first edition or like me will you wait a few months until the smaller softcovers come out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ordos said:

I'm very confident that Winds of Winter will be out this year or next year. I'll be very surprised if it was delayed until 2019.

But when it is released, I don't want to immediately buy the first copy because they are those large hardcover books. All of my Song of Ice and Fire books are the smaller softcovers and the cover drawings are not all matching. Some have the regular drawings of helmets, shields and sword hilts but two of them have photos from the TV series. So it's not all matching for a perfect collection. I know that some of you like the first edition hardcovers because they are of great value in the future, but I only started reading in 2012 so I did not get my hands on the earlier hardcovers. Buying a hardcover now will only make my collection look more mismatched. 

Also, I prefer the softcover because they are not big bulky things to bring around when on the move. I am often seen in public with a book in my hand in case I have to wait for something and I have something to read. If I'm on the plane, it will make my bag so much heavier. I don't worry about keeping the book in mint condition because I have no intention on giving the books away or selling them as second hand until maybe when I'm 80 years old.

By now you will be saying 'then just get it as an e-book'. But that's a complicated issue and I'm not getting into that. Plus I really like paper. Finally, I believe smaller book means less paper used.

So I want to know; will your eagerness to get the book make you buy the first edition or like me will you wait a few months until the smaller softcovers come out?

You know, if I won't pre-order the English version on Amazon as soon as GRRM announces it's done, I'll have to wait about 6 months for Polish translation of WOW part 1 (they split the Asoiaf books in two parts - except for GOT and ACOK) and another few months for part 2.

When it comes to Polish ASOIAF, I buy those smaller papercover books - there are two types of them here - the HBO TV show edition and the pre-GOT edition, with pictures on covers. I chose the 'normal'  editions, as the HBO books have really weird sizes - sth between normal paperback and hardcover.

I'll just buy the first English WOW I can get my hands on, and later buy the non-show Polish WOW to fit my collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same boat as you OP, very much prefer the paperback for the convenience.  Not concerned with matching though.  I do put my books on the bookshelf post reading, but the bottom of said bookshelf as the top shelves are reserved for one of my real collections.  Guess I could ebook it.  Never have before, but am willing to give it a try.  Burn that bridge when we get to it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ordos said:

So I want to know; will your eagerness to get the book make you buy the first edition or like me will you wait a few months until the smaller softcovers come out?

More like wait a few years.  Dance was released as a hardcover in July, 2011.  Paperback was released October 29, 2013.  The publisher will not release the paperback until they have milked all sales potential out of the hardcover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't be a problem for me. I'll be getting an ebook edition the moment it comes out - even at 12am. I just read too much and too fast, so once I got ereader and realized I can fit a whole library inside a small book, I never went back to paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention, it's expensive. With Winds gonna be roughly 1500 pages long, could you imagine what the price will be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, White Ravens said:

More like wait a few years.  Dance was released as a hardcover in July, 2011.  Paperback was released October 29, 2013.  The publisher will not release the paperback until they have milked all sales potential out of the hardcover.

Maybe that's just where you live. I got my Book 5 paperback in September of 2011 in a bookstore in a town in The Netherlands. 

Edit: I apologize. That  was September of 2012. Not 2011.

Edited by Ordos
correction of fact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11 January 2017 at 10:35 PM, The Arthur Smith said:

Not to mention, it's expensive. With Winds gonna be roughly 1500 pages long, could you imagine what the price will be?

I'm doubtful that the price would be considered by anyone who still frequents these forums, unless it is truly excessive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11.1.2017 at 9:35 PM, Masha said:

It won't be a problem for me. I'll be getting an ebook edition the moment it comes out - even at 12am. I just read too much and too fast, so once I got ereader and realized I can fit a whole library inside a small book, I never went back to paper.

I still have more "real" books than ebooks and, but I'll also buy the ebook edition. I will buy it at 12am, drink a lot of coffee and try to read as much as I can during the night. I think I will read the book very fast. A couple of months later I'll buy the hardcover edition for my re-read and because I want it to match my other ASOIAF books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, Masha said:

It won't be a problem for me. I'll be getting an ebook edition the moment it comes out - even at 12am. I just read too much and too fast, so once I got ereader and realized I can fit a whole library inside a small book, I never went back to paper.

This is pretty much me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, The Arthur Smith said:

Not to mention, it's expensive. With Winds gonna be roughly 1500 pages long, could you imagine what the price will be?

I don't think it will be 1500 pages. I'd guess it ends up being 1100-1200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PCK said:

I don't think it will be 1500 pages. I'd guess it ends up being 1100-1200.

GRMM said that Winds and Springs will be approx. be around 1500 pages. Of course not exactly, but that is what he expecting how long his books will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

GRMM said that Winds and Springs will be approx. be around 1500 pages. Of course not exactly, but that is what he expecting how long his books will be.

Manuscript pages not book pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/01/2017 at 7:04 PM, The Arthur Smith said:

GRMM said that Winds and Springs will be approx. be around 1500 pages. Of course not exactly, but that is what he expecting how long his books will be.

In the past when books get too big he has split them or delayed some chapters (I hope no chapters were removed permanently)

Publishers also have big say in this, GRRM might not always get what he wants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only read ebooks now. I carry around a small library everywhere I go that weighs about a pound. I also prefer light text on a dark background for better contrast, and I don't have to worry about shelf space or lugging fifty pound boxes of books around when I move or reorganize. Finally I'm legally blind, and ebooks let me zoom in the font at will and it just makes it have more pages which doesn't matter at all in an ebook. Do you know how heavy large print versions of GRRM's books would be to hold for hours at a time? 

Edited by Praetor Xyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too. I hate heavy, bulky books. I'm mainly ebook now. I buy paper books only if they are beautiful. I'll do it for TWoW thought. I've come recently to buy the 1st print of 1st edition of GRRM's books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone listened to the audiobooks? Between Storm & Dance (the only two I've heard), I think Dotrice has slipped a little. I'll probably just get Kindle version, whenever the day comes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PCK said:

Anyone listened to the audiobooks? Between Storm & Dance (the only two I've heard), I think Dotrice has slipped a little. I'll probably just get Kindle version, whenever the day comes. 

I have them all, and the world book too with Dotrice as narrator. I love him. That man can do no wrong with his reading style. I know he has a tendency to be a little squeaky, but when I read the books he is in my head space. He is 93 and I hope to all heavens and hells he gets to finish the books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 8:29 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

I have them all, and the world book too with Dotrice as narrator. I love him. That man can do no wrong with his reading style. I know he has a tendency to be a little squeaky, but when I read the books he is in my head space. He is 93 and I hope to all heavens and hells he gets to finish the books. 

The chances of that are unfortunately not good.  He does get on my nerves how he pronounces some of the names (Brienne), but overall I like him.  I definitely like him more than John Lee.  

Random fun fact:  Roy Dotrice's daughter played the little girl Jane Banks in the Disney movie, Mary Poppins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

The chances of that are unfortunately not good.

I know. This kills me. I have his name on a Google alert so I know what is going on with the activities in his life as it is posted around the web. He has an amazing career.

Quote

 

 He does get on my nerves how he pronounces some of the names (Brienne), but overall I like him.  I definitely like him more than John Lee.  

He does have a way with pronouncing each character's name about five different way.

Jojen is often Jonjon, or Jo-jon, or Jo-jin. It has grown on me so I don't mind anymore :dunno:

Quote

Random fun fact:  Roy Dotrice's daughter played the little girl Jane Banks in the Disney movie, Mary Poppins.

I love fun facts! This is pretty cool and I did not know that.

Here is a fun fact that you may or maynot know already, but just in case, or if anyone else is interested, Roy was the Pyromancer in that show. His line, "our order does not deal in pig shit!", is the best of the entire series :lol:

 

Edited by The Fattest Leech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.