College Football 2017: Butch Jones' Locker

Ded As Ned

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

That could get interesting around here

With Grier done for the year I do not expect us to win another game.  Beating OU in Norman was a long shot even with a full compliment of players, but with Grier out I expect us to get destroyed and probably lose whatever bowl we go to as well.

Holgs gave up calling the plays this year and our offense can put up big numbers but so much of that is Grier making something happen.  We have no dedication to the run whatsoever and without the star QB we will struggle to score.  Not a big fan of Spavital.  Holgs had us evolving into a balanced team that could grind it out on the ground and we have severely regressed in that department under the new OC.

Just heard on radio that Chip Kelly interviewed met with with UCLA yesterday and is expected to choose between the Bruins or Florida and isn't considering any other schools.

Kelly has always seemed like a west coast guy to me and I just don't see him being a cultural fit in Gainesville.  

Thoughts @Kalbear? @Triskele?

Edit:  revised the language regarding meet up with UCLA to be more accurate

Chip is much more a new Englander than a West coast guy. 

He's a good coach who doesn't care about boosters, doesn't play recruiting games and does not like it, and genuinely takes the kids sides. 

I think he would be an amazingly entertaining disaster at Florida. I think he would be fairly successful at UCLA. 

There are two major disqualifiers for being the head coach at Florida.  One is "not being Steve Spurrier".  The other is "being Steve Spurrier".

Florida is one of those schools whose fans think the school/team is far, far more important than the rest of the nation/game/world thinks it is.

5 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

There are two major disqualifiers for being the head coach at Florida.  One is "not being Steve Spurrier".  The other is "being Steve Spurrier".

Florida is one of those schools whose fans think the school/team is far, far more important than the rest of the nation/game/world thinks it is.

That is true.  Florida is a bit of a Johnny Come Lately in the landscape of college football.  They have had precisely two good coaches, Spurrier and Meyer.  Their fans seem to think they've been around a 100 years.

10 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I know that the word is that pursuing Kelly was why Mora got fired with a game to go, but that's about all I know.  UCLA would be ecstatic to get Kelly.  Everyone says that UCLA is a sleeping giant, so to speak, but they've failed to cash in on that potential so consistently for so long that I question whether it's really true.  Kelly might be the final litmus test on that.  

If Florida doesn't get Kelly I wonder if they'll try to steal Frost from Nebraska.  I still maintain that Nebraska hiring Mike Riley was one of the more bizarre hires I've ever seen.

Nebraska may have to fire Riley sooner than they planned on if Florida doesn't get Kelly.  Everything I've heard says that Frost is plan B.

45 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Once again Mark Richt can't quite get there in the end. Georgia fans clinking bourbon glasses over that one.

Eh... I don't think they're done yet. If they beat Clemson, I think they still sneak in. 

I don't know ow whether I should feel good we held off Pitt on a goal line stand, or bad that Miami beat us convincingly. 

Archived