College Football 2017: Butch Jones' Locker

Ded As Ned

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

But it's really surprising to see a data modeled prediction put Alabama and USC at equal footing, it's the sort of think I expect from click bait "analysis". Is USC's schedule that much better than Bamas? are their wins that much better than Bamas?  @Kalbear have any insight why USC would be a push with Bama, data wise?

Alabama's previously 'best' win (FSU) looks incredibly shitty now, they got their ass beat by Auburn, and USC has had bigger highs (and also lower lows). 

That said, 538 looks like they're smoking crack compared to S+P. And Alabama's resume S+P looks better yet. My suspicion is that the Elo-Chess system 538 uses is not particularly good at dealing with 'big' wins, as MoV factors both into S+P and resume S+P. 

I think that if you are looking at purely resume, a PAC-10 champ USC has a strong case to be ahead of Alabama.  They won a conference, have two wins over a good Stanford team, and have a stronger schedule overall.  The problem is that the SEC still has the reputation of being the best, even if their results the past couple of years haven't backed it up.  I don't think there's much chance at all of USC getting a spot ahead of Bama.  Even if they stomp Stanford, that would only make their two wins over Stanford look less impressive. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I think that if you are looking at purely resume, a PAC-10 champ USC has a strong case to be ahead of Alabama.  They won a conference, have two wins over a good Stanford team, and have a stronger schedule overall.  The problem is that the SEC still has the reputation of being the best, even if their results the past couple of years haven't backed it up.  I don't think there's much chance at all of USC getting a spot ahead of Bama.  Even if they stomp Stanford, that would only make their two wins over Stanford look less impressive. 

They have two wins over Stanford? I didn't think the Pac-12 championship game had been played yet.

IF USC beats Stanford, sure. But they haven't, so I don't see why you'd rate USC over Bama higher NOW. 

The advanced analytics have been all out of whack all year.

They've had Ohio State number one all year despite the fact that Ohio State got absolutely drubbed by Oklahoma and Iowa, struggled with Indiana and Michigan, and required a miracle comeback to beat Penn State. I think Ohio State is fine, but if your system is continously spitting them out as the best team in the country, your system needs work.

Alabama has played an extremely weak schedule. They've dominated bad teams, been in dogfights with good but not spectacular teams like LSU and Mississippi State, and got stomped by the only top 15 type team they've played. They're a one dimensional team, and even their great defense is iffy after a number of injuries.

The SEC was awful in non-conference play this year, the conference just wasn't good. They're living on a reputation from 5 years ago when there were strong teams in the middle of the pack in the SEC. Those days are gone, and the middle of the SEC is a wasteland. SEC of today is like the ACC of 5 years ago.

17 hours ago, Kalbear said:

They have two wins over Stanford? I didn't think the Pac-12 championship game had been played yet.

IF USC beats Stanford, sure. But they haven't, so I don't see why you'd rate USC over Bama higher NOW. 

I said in the very first sentence that I was talking about a "PAC-10 champ USC", which would mean they had beaten Stanford again. 

Just now, Ded As Ned said:

UT might as well put an ad on craigslist jobs at this point

ESPN radio during a news break just said they plan to talk to Kevin Sumlin.

I hadn’t considered that, but that’s probably the best possible hire they could have made from the start.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

ESPN radio during a news break just said they plan to talk to Kevin Sumlin.

I hadn’t considered that, but that’s probably the best possible hire they could have made from the start.

Yea, that would be a pretty good outcome for them considering the dumpster fire this has been.  Sumlin is a unique case because he got fired, but I think just about any other head coach of a power 5 team would be crazy to go to Tennessee right now.  Failing Sumlin it'll have to be a coordinator or someone from the G5 ranks.  

Just now, Rhom said:

And Jimbo is officially leaving for aTm

Don’t understand that at all.

School isn’t better. Program isn’t better.  Chance to win a title is less.

I agree.  Did he go there?  I always thought he was using ATM to get a raise at FSU.  Apparently not. 

Archived