College Football 2017: Butch Jones' Locker

Ded As Ned

So I made a Lane Kiffin joke and it sparked yet another debate on which conference is the best... sorry about that. :P

Comes the time of year where I hold my breath to see if UK holds on to it's commitments for signing day.  I'm rather hopeful this year, but there's always some surprises... there's even rumor we might be stealing a few away from other schools in the coming weeks.

Anyway, continue at your leisure.

2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

So I made a Lane Kiffin joke and it sparked yet another debate on which conference is the best... sorry about that. :P

Comes the time of year where I hold my breath to see if UK holds on to it's commitments for signing day.  I'm rather hopeful this year, but there's always some surprises... there's even rumor we might be stealing a few away from other schools in the coming weeks.

Anyway, continue at your leisure.

Yeah... Football recruiting doesn't excite me because its all a crapshoot until NSD comes around.  Get a kid early and then hope Bama doesn't notice that he's actually pretty good.

@dbunting the comparison is where there are 3 feeder systems for pro leagues (above and beyond NCAA.)

MLB has its minor leagues, the NBA has the development league and Hockey has a few well established minor leagues, plus all 3 of those sports have international pro leagues where players can develop. All 3 of these sports have players being compensated at the lower level leagues, it benefits all the athletes and the 3 of the 4 major sports leagues, MLB the NBA and the NHL.  The NFL has no such comparable system in place. They rely on the NCAA for virtually 100 % of their players while contributing zilch towards the training and development of these players. I'd like to see the NFL put in place more of a farm system like these other sports or contribute to compensating the college players they rely on for their future players.

Even many smallish building trades organizations contribute to training funds and programs for its future tradesman. If they can accomplish that and 3 of the 4 major sports have minor leagues in place, theres no reason the NFL cant do something similar with their billions $ of TV money. They are taking less responsibilty than your typical union building trades contractor despite having deep pockets, compared to what the other major sports are doing the NFL is getting a free ride.

For the McCaffreys, Peppers and the rest that said, thanks but no thanks, to another unpaid bowl, GOOD FOR YOU GUYS.

Peppers pulled his hamstring before their bowl game...that's why he sat out.

And the BIGXII was 5-1, yet you exclude them..... And, that's a false measuring stick, because the SEC was weak, very weak this year. 

Another case of incorrect numbers - which I guess should be expected from a conference called the Big "12" that only has 10 members.  In fact, the Big 12 was "only" 4-2.  So, good job...the Big 12's 6 bowl teams had the same winning percentage as the ACC's 11 bowl teams.  And yes...the SEC is absolutely weak...but they remain the measuring stick in the national narrative.

17 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

@dbunting the comparison is where there are 3 feeder systems for pro leagues (above and beyond NCAA.)

MLB has its minor leagues, the NBA has the development league and Hockey has a few well established minor leagues, plus all 3 of those sports have international pro leagues where players can develop. All 3 of these sports have players being compensated at the lower level leagues, it benefits all the athletes and the 3 of the 4 major sports leagues, MLB the NBA and the NHL.  The NFL has no such comparable system in place. They rely on the NCAA for virtually 100 % of their players while contributing zilch towards the training and development of these players. I'd like to see the NFL put in place more of a farm system like these other sports or contribute to compensating the college players they rely on for their future players.

Even many smallish building trades organizations contribute to training funds and programs for its future tradesman. If they can accomplish that and 3 of the 4 major sports have minor leagues in place, theres no reason the NFL cant do something similar with their billions $ of TV money. They are taking less responsibilty than your typical union building trades contractor despite having deep pockets, compared to what the other major sports are doing the NFL is getting a free ride.

I understand what you are saying, my company has an apprenticeship program. But their average career is 30+ years, the average NFL career is 3.3 years (according to NFLPA), to 6 years (according to the NFL). So if a career last only 3-6 years, how much time can you spend in a developmental league?

Good point Dbunting, i'm a product of the apprenticeship route so thats the way I relate to training ideas. It would pose some challenges for the NFL to get something in place but who knows, maybe in the future the franchises and the players union could fund something jointly? They certainly have the revenues, if not the will. I know its only about a nickel an hour contribution rate ( with an employer match) for some trades to fund training.

Obviously a difference with million dollar athletes and the needs to outfit a team and coaching but the framework has worked in other industries, its just a matter of scale. We'll see what changes , if any, the future brings us. I just like to shoot around ideas sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Michigan fan so my thoughts have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I love this idea. If they do what they say they will be doing during the trip to Rome, visiting orphanages, U.S. service stations, exploring historical and cultural parts of Rome and meeting people for mentorships and internships. I mean to me this is exactly the kind of thing a college should do for the students to broaden their horizons and expose them to more of the world. It's not like they are invading SEC country recruiting or anything! Plus it grows the Michigan "brand".

National signing day is tomorrow so there are a lot of articles and rankings out there. I saw a Dallas Cowboys article showing every player on their roster and what Ricals had them ranked as coming out of high school, except for players out before Rivals was created like Romo and Witten.

There are 5 players that were 5 star recruits, Tyrone Smith, Jaylon Smith, D McFadden, La'el Collins, and the GOAT, Mark Sanchez.

The bigger thing that stood out to me was how many players were 2 stars or lower. 33!!!!!! 33 players, coming out of high school were thought of as 2 star players or worse and are now on one NFL team. And yet, year after year idiots like me still read articles on signing day to see who Michigan signed. Why am I such a sucker?!?!?!?

8 minutes ago, S John said:

Holy smokes that was dreadful. If you google "underwhelmed" this should be the first result.  :lol:   

I'm sure his new team will give great effort following such a sterling example.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

National signing day is tomorrow so there are a lot of articles and rankings out there. I saw a Dallas Cowboys article showing every player on their roster and what Ricals had them ranked as coming out of high school, except for players out before Rivals was created like Romo and Witten.

There are 5 players that were 5 star recruits, Tyrone Smith, Jaylon Smith, D McFadden, La'el Collins, and the GOAT, Mark Sanchez.

The bigger thing that stood out to me was how many players were 2 stars or lower. 33!!!!!! 33 players, coming out of high school were thought of as 2 star players or worse and are now on one NFL team. And yet, year after year idiots like me still read articles on signing day to see who Michigan signed. Why am I such a sucker?!?!?!?

Because 2 stars encompass every single high school player in the country who is not a 3, 4, or 5 star. That means it's a lot more likely that the 50,000 2 stars will produce more NFL players than the 25 5 star players. When you look at a percentage basis though...

So far UK has signed all the verbals except for Jordan Wright, 3 star DE who originally flipped from Miami to UK, but now is trolling both schools for an announcement later this morning.  With or without him, this is shaping up to be one of UK's best signing classes ever... now it's time to develop that talent!

ETA:  Jordan Wright signed with UK, so that's all 24 verbals.  This is the first time I remember UK not losing anyone at the last minute.  We still have 1-2 scholarships open, so maybe we'll pick up a surprise or two later today.

Archived