College Football 2017: Butch Jones' Locker

Ded As Ned

I tried to post in response to that question yesterday, but wasn't logged in to my phone - I would bet it's 100% because of Alvarez. When the AD has twice been the Head Coach and thinks that he and the program are synonymous, it would tend to grate on any Head Coach hired by him - particularly because in most places I'd argue the coach has more power than the AD. I've heard Alvarez likes to be very involved with the program - that seems likely to drive any coach nuts.

On 9/12/2017 at 10:20 PM, HokieStone said:

Hey WVU guys...it's ok, you beat ECU.  You can come back now.

Hey, I just been banned for a few days, lol. Anyway, congrats. I hate the Hokies, will talk shit none stop, but they were the better team that day.

That being said, we had many a opportunity to win that game. Stills should've caught that ball at the end of the game in the end zone. Holgs should went for it on 4th and 1. But, it all boiled down to not being able to stop your QB. Another great dual-threat qb at VT, what a surprise. Congrats. 

54 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

That being said, we had many a opportunity to win that game. Stills should've caught that ball at the end of the game in the end zone. Holgs should went for it on 4th and 1. But, it all boiled down to not being able to stop your QB. Another great dual-threat qb at VT, what a surprise. Congrats. 

And we should've scored a TD when we had it 1st and goal from the 1.  And our typically reliable kicker missed two FGs from distances that he was automatic from last year.  So, I think the ifs and buts cancel out.  In any case, we play ECU this week, so we'll see how that compares to your drubbing of them.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer.  We had Delaware last week, ECU this week, and then ODU.  There are whispers that we are running a very vanilla game plan for all those games leading up to Clemson at the end of the month.

15 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

And we should've scored a TD when we had it 1st and goal from the 1.  And our typically reliable kicker missed two FGs from distances that he was automatic from last year.  So, I think the ifs and buts cancel out.  In any case, we play ECU this week, so we'll see how that compares to your drubbing of them.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer.  We had Delaware last week, ECU this week, and then ODU.  There are whispers that we are running a very vanilla game plan for all those games leading up to Clemson at the end of the month.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda huh? Anywho, just offering a congrats. Hope you have a good season, then the loss won't hurt that much. I think, all said, we are two evenly matched squads.

The Pokes face their first real test of the season, travelling to Pitt for an early morning game. I'm a little nervous about this one after last year's game went to the wire in Stillwater, but I think this one won't turn out to be such a nail-biter. Rudolph is looking excellent this year, the Cowboys' running game and its front line have really stepped up compared to this same time last year.

If the defense can slow down Pitt's running game and can keep pressure on the quarterback, I think the Cowboys notch a convincing win. I'm looking for the Pokes to cover the spread on the road.

Oh, and Zach Sinor for the Heisman!!

15 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

The Pokes face their first real test of the season, travelling to Pitt for an early morning game. I'm a little nervous about this one after last year's game went to the wire in Stillwater, but I think this one won't turn out to be such a nail-biter. Rudolph is looking excellent this year, the Cowboys' running game and its front line have really stepped up compared to this same time last year.

If the defense can slow down Pitt's running game and can keep pressure on the quarterback, I think the Cowboys notch a convincing win. I'm looking for the Pokes to cover the spread on the road.

Oh, and Zach Sinor for the Heisman!!

They're passing their first real test with flying colors. They've scored 49 points in the FIRST HALF. 

2 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

They're passing their first real test with flying colors. They've scored 49 points in the FIRST HALF. 

Yeah, I'm stunned to be honest. This goes to show that teams can't just rely on double-teaming James Washington, because the rest of the Cowboy receiving corps will step into the breach. McClesky is leading in receptions, and Ateman had a great TD grab.

My only complaint is that Rudolph's performance is interfering with Zach Sinor's Heisman chances.

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Yeah, I'm stunned to be honest. This goes to show that teams can't just rely on double-teaming James Washington, because the rest of the Cowboy receiving corps will step into the breach. McClesky is leading in receptions, and Ateman had a great TD grab.

My only complaint is that Rudolph's performance is interfering with Zach Sinor's Heisman chances.

The Pokes just have too many offensive weapons for a lot of teams to handle.

UCLA vs Memphis is certainly an entertaining shootout, but Josh Rosen has made a couple of costly mistakes.

Gophers have looked really good so far, though we haven't played anyone yet. I think there is a decent chance that we can go 10-2 and finish in the top 25.

Also, if you like old school smash mouth football, this is the team for you. They run it down your throat and play a bruising style of defense.

My son is in his 1st year of Flag Football. Been killing it the 1st 3 games. Scoring at least 3 times a game and easily the best defensive by far. Last week, we finally played a team who had it together...and when he went for a sweep there was about 6 guys waiting on him, he spun around....but only a 180 and preceded to run a touchdown/safety for the other team. We all got a laugh out of it. He wasn't too happy when I tried explaining what he did wrong. Eh, live and learn, right?

Got my tickets tomorrow.

Its been thirty years... but if Kentucky is ever to beat Florida, this is the year.  The win over South Carolina last week gave fans that most dangerous of things for fans of a program like UK:  hope.

Archived