College Football 2017: Butch Jones' Locker

Ded As Ned

35 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Win at Starkvegas or beat Tennessee at home the following week (or both!) and then I'll sing praises all around.

Stop the run and you win both. Actually, just stop Nick Fitzgerald (easier said than done) and you'll beat State.

I think the entire season hinges around beating Miss State.  And much of that will depend on what time they decide to schedule the game for TV purposes.  Give me that game at noon and I like our chances.  Stick it at night amongst all the Cowbell ridiculousness and I'm not as confident.

Here's where UK's season stands... sweep the states of Mississippi and Tennessee and you have a legit chance at winning the SEC East.  :stunned: 

If we beat Miss State, I like our chances at home against a reeling Tennessee team that plays Bama the week before.  Handle our business against Vandy and Ole Miss and that makes us 9-1 going into Georgia.  :stunned::stunned::stunned:   Now, UGA is about 20 orders of magnitude better than the Cats... but bizarre things happen.  Lose that game and you're still 9-2 with a chance at home to close the season with a win against UofL.  Sitting here looking at a legit road map to a 10-2 season is not something I ever thought I'd see as a UK fan, but there it is.  :dunno: 

In reality, I think we are more likely to go 2-2 against the Miss/Tenn schools.  That would still give us a shot at 8-4 which is still better than anything I recall in my lifetime.

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think the entire season hinges around beating Miss State.  And much of that will depend on what time they decide to schedule the game for TV purposes.  Give me that game at noon and I like our chances.  Stick it at night amongst all the Cowbell ridiculousness and I'm not as confident.

Here's where UK's season stands... sweep the states of Mississippi State and Tennessee and you have a legit chance at winning the SEC East.  :stunned: 

If we beat Miss State, I like our chances at home against a reeling Tennessee team that plays Bama the week before.  Handle our business against Vandy and Ole Miss and that makes us 9-1 going into Georgia.  :stunned::stunned::stunned:   Now, UGA is about 20 orders of magnitude better than the Cats... but bizarre things happen.  Lose that game and you're still 9-2 with a chance at home to close the season with a win against UofL.  Sitting here looking at a legit road map to a 10-2 season is not something I ever thought I'd see as a UK fan, but there it is.  :dunno: 

In reality, I think we are more likely to go 2-2 against the Miss/Tenn schools.  That would still give us a shot at 8-4 which is still better than anything I recall in my lifetime.

Miss State game is 4pm start, so could be worse... it would really be great to get to play Georgia for a chance to go to Atlanta :o (but let's take care of State first)!  

Crazy couple days of college football.

The local rumors are that Petrino has one foot out the door in the direction of Knoxville and the team knows it and has quit on the season.

Honestly though... with the chaos in the athletic department at UofL, can you blame him for wanting out?  Soon after AD Jurich was suspended following the FBI story, I read that Petrino’s buyout in his contract gets cut in half if Jurich isn’t AD.

Its pretty bad when Petrino is the best behaved of your major sport coaches. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I missed the first half of the USC game, can anyone tell me how in the hell a QB manages to fumble 3 times in one half? Is he Josh McCown?

I don't like the sound of this. As a Giants fan I gotta start paying attention to Darnold. 

Just now, Ramsay B. said:

I don't like the sound of this. As a Giants fan I gotta start paying attention to Darnold. 

It's not all bad. Apparently the similarities extend to making the game competitive in the 2nd half if he or the team hasn't been buried yet.

I do not care for that 2 point attempt by Utah.

It's not that I'm averse to such decisions or anything, but in that situation I can't say I'm a fan. Sure, overtime against a team like USC is not where you wanna be after that 2nd half. But if I'm honest I think Utah's chances of stopping USC from getting into FG range with 46 seconds and a timeout was lower than their chance of winning in overtime.

"But Jace, this is why girls can't think about football!" I hear you say. "USC was still getting the ball back with a chance to win."

Yeah, but down 1 they're gonna leave it all out there and y'know, literally do everything they possibly can to score. At a tie, it's far more likely that the coach plays it conservatively and 1 good defensive play might be all you need to make USC sit on the ball and take it to OT.

I said some terrible things in the first half of WVUs game against TTU today.  Things that I'll bet TTU fans said in the second half.  Great comeback win and much needed.  And must have been a heartbreaker for Tech.

WVU has won the last 3 against them and it feels just, will never forget how they absolutely kicked our ass in Lubbock in WVU's inaugural Big XII season.

What is it with this season and teams believing their own hype and not preparing for "lesser" opponents, I know it happens every year but I feel like it's a 2007 esque year where it is particularly bad and teams are particularly prone to refusing to put forth full effort in every game and more and more are getting eaten alive by the 20+ point underdog each and every week this season. Three terrible trap games this weekend, two obvious trap games on Friday the 13th and PAC 12 after dark trap game for Washington tonight as well. Wake the fuck up teams (Georgia did manage to wake up when they were dumbfounded late in the second half into a 21 21 tie with drew lock of all people shredding their secondary).

i hate to say it, but it makes me respect Alabama a little more because they come to every game disciplined and focused. Even when it's against Vanderbilt. 

I hated that ending to the Utah-USC game. Who cares if you get the two-point conversion - either way, USC is going to get the ball back with 40-odd seconds on the clock, and all they need is a field goal to win. The only difference is that at least going for the tie means you're probably going to go to OT, and not effectively throw the game away if the two-point conversion fails (which it often does).

18 hours ago, Rhom said:

Desperation in corners of the Tennessee fanbase:

If Vols can't land Gruden, they should re-hire Kiffin.

You can't make this stuff up.  :lol: 

Endless comic relief from those guys. It's one of the best things about living in Tennessee. :rofl: They've been obsessed with Gruden (why exactly, who the hell knows) ever since they fired Fulmer.

2 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Endless comic relief from those guys. It's one of the best things about living in Tennessee. :rofl: They've been obsessed with Gruden (why exactly, who the hell knows) ever since they fired Fulmer.

But you guys!!!!!  He was a graduate assistant here for a year in the mid 80's!!!!!!!

His wife is from Tennessee!!!!!  He practically has a tattoo of Peyton Manning with the lyrics to Rocky Top as a tramp stamp!!!!!

Archived