College Football 2017: Butch Jones' Locker

Ded As Ned

USC's early quarter slump and Darnold's mistakes finally caught up to them Thursday.

The SEC is a one team conference this season (Georgia is feasting on a weak East division).

So far, it looks like Clemson has reloaded this season. Their defense has really impressed me.

Back from Blacksburg.  This just in...Clemson is pretty good.  We were going to have to play mistake free football to beat them...and then we took a shotgun to our foot.  At 17-3, we were driving...and then FUMBLE...momentum changed drastically.  Got it back a little at the start of the 4th when we pulled it to 24-10.  But then more turnovers.  Ah well...hopefully the young guys can learn, and maybe we'll get another crack at them in the ACC Championship game.

On the plus side, my sign for "Santa's Workshop" - a board game I designed, and being released in November - got a lot of airplay on College Gameday....

22 hours ago, Triskan said:

Bryce Love might be better than McCaffrey.  He had 301 on the ground today and has the most yards in his first 5 games in the last 20 years.  Damn.  Even more impressive because Stanford's passing game has been shit this year and defenses are loading up against Love.  

Love is great, no doubt about it a legit future pro. But, methinks you could put about anybody behind that line and they'll be successful. Stanford has a MONSTER line!

On 9/30/2017 at 10:45 PM, Triskan said:

On FSU's o-line Jessie Palmer today said that they're the worst position unit in the big five conferences and that if Jameis and Warrick Dunn were in that backfield it wouldn't be all that different.  

Haha. How dare that Gator idiot doubt Warrick Dunn! But yeah, it's been a real issue for the last 3 seasons. Francois took a fucking beating last year and it seems like they've somehow taken a step back this season. They've been getting highly rated O-line recruits the last few years so one would figure it would pay off sooner or later.  :dunno:

On 9/30/2017 at 10:09 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Frankly I wouldn't mind him being the next Ole Miss coach. 

I could see that happening...  If he keeps Troy on this trajectory he'll definitely be a hot name after the season.  They were 10-3 last season (albeit with no big wins, and a loss to Southern Ga. in their bowl game).  Their best "win" last year was probably the 6-point loss to Clemson.

Anyway, the LSU win is big for Troy, obviously.

I guess the call must've come down from the Big 12 office for the refs to do what they can to make sure the conference has a playoff contender because that suspect offensive pass interference call completely killed WVU's final drive and handed the game to TCU.

Kentucky sits at the ugliest 5-1 possible... but if you'd offered me that before the season I would've snatched it up and asked no questions, so I'll take it.  We're actually two blown defensive subs/playing 10 men on defense with an uncovered receiver from being 6-0.  Got the bye week before I have to listen to those fucking cowbells in Starkville.  @Ferrum Aeternum send us some mojo!  It's not too late to jump on the bandwagon this year ;) 

On 9/30/2017 at 1:15 AM, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Confused, indeed. I don't understand how they haven't got back to top dog status. Especially with their recruiting base.

The 2017 year of upperclassmen is the last sanctions class I think. But don't discount the trickle down effects of thin classes causing other (non sanctioned) classes to thin out prematurely, whether it's guys going to the NFL because there's no depth and they risk injury or guys going to the NFL because there's no depth so they get playing time asap and thus mature into draftable players much faster. The whole roster is still thin because of all the compounding effects of the sanctions. The 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes are least affected by this so USC will probably slowly be returning to a standard roster development and turnover status in the next couple of years but they're not out of the woods yet.

but hey we got a blind long snapper so things are looking up! (He is also better at snapping the ball than missouri's starter.

Amongst all the local stories about "Why aren't UK fans excited about being 5-1?" is this interesting tweet.

I'm not about to try to say that Mark Stoops is the best coach on that list... but I will readily admit there are some eye popping records amongst some high profile names there.

https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsESPN/status/91705983277930

On 10/8/2017 at 8:26 AM, Ded As Ned said:

Kentucky sits at the ugliest 5-1 possible... but if you'd offered me that before the season I would've snatched it up and asked no questions, so I'll take it.  We're actually two blown defensive subs/playing 10 men on defense with an uncovered receiver from being 6-0.  Got the bye week before I have to listen to those fucking cowbells in Starkville.  @Ferrum Aeternum send us some mojo!  It's not too late to jump on the bandwagon this year ;) 

First of all good sir: there is no such thing as an "ugly" 5-1 record. ;) 

Second, i am mojo'd out, so I'm not sure you want me all the way on the bandwagon! But I will happily pull for the C-A-T-S against Starkvegas Tech just as I do each and every year. 

36 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

First of all good sir: there is no such thing as an "ugly" 5-1 record. ;) 

Second, i am mojo'd out, so I'm not sure you want me all the way on the bandwagon! But I will happily pull for the C-A-T-S against Starkvegas Tech just as I do each and every year. 

Back to Rhom's post as well as the quoted... not to say the 5-1 record is ugly.  But all the wins have been in ugly, unconvincing fashion (the exception maybe being South Carolina, as we did control the game pretty much start to finish). 

Plus, 2014 is still fresh in the ol' memory: Started 5-1, finished 5-7.

Win at Starkvegas or beat Tennessee at home the following week (or both!) and then I'll sing praises all around.

Archived