US Politics- Stay Gold, Pony Boy

Kelli Fury

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Look man, we all stand up and pay attention to those who spend most of their budget on Hank Baskett. You have to. 

This received zero responses.

Kal, I want you to know that it was appreciated and applauded. :cheers:

kellyanne conway spasming all over the place on anderson cooper and myers. we're in for a long __ years.

Thinking about Kalbear's doomsday scenario, I have to wonder if the stunning incompetence / chaos already displayed will inspire a 9/11 style event in the nearish future.  

1 hour ago, kuenjato said:

kellyanne conway spasming all over the place on anderson cooper and myers. we're in for a long __ years.

Thinking about Kalbear's doomsday scenario, I have to wonder if the stunning incompetence / chaos already displayed will inspire a 9/11 style event in the nearish future.  

I give him two years. Either impeachment or stroke.

Rex Tillerson

"We're going to have to send China a clear signal that, first, the island-building stops and, second, your access to those islands also is not going to be allowed."

China's building of islands and putting military assets on those islands was "akin to Russia's taking Crimea" from Ukraine.

And people said one reason not to vote for Hillary was that she would cause WW3 vs Russia by trying to enforce a no-fly zone over Syria. I would think a naval blockade on what China [presumably] regards as its sovereign territory is a little more likely to provoke military conflict.

Astonishing rhetoric, which I hope amounts to nothing but hot air.

A couple of things from today's propaganda haul. First, here is a Slate article which effectively laments that the days when accusations of racism were sufficient to disqualify one from office are over. Not even the unprecedented step of a sitting Senator (Cory Booker, whom the article praises far more than I expected even from Slate) criticizing a colleague up for a cabinet post had any meaningful impact on the chances of Sessions. It will be interesting if the final vote will be along party lines or if some Democrats will vote for a fellow Senator who clearly has the requisite qualifications.

Second, here's a Business Insider article which was more or less republished and responded to with glee at Breitbart:

Though Trump was almost universally unpopular in Silicon Valley during the campaign, a new proposal from a group of high-profile tech leaders doesn't sound so different from some of Trump's protectionist language on trade.

Singling out China as a threat to the US semiconductor industry, a new report by tech executives calls for the federal government to clamp down on cross-border acquisitions by Chinese companies, protect US intellectual property, and "fast track" new chip-manufacturing facilities by cutting red tape like aspects of the Clean Air Act.

The report was published by the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, a group that includes Alphabet executive chairman Eric Schmidt.

"Alphabet" is better known as the parent company of Google (the latter restructured itself into a holding company). Other members of the group that worked on the report includes current and former executives from Intel, Qualcomm and Global Foundries as well as less semiconductor-oriented companies like Northrop Grumman and Morgan Stanley. Looks like it didn't take the tech industry long to adapt itself to Trump's ideas. There may be room for a deal here: Trump increases the protectionism against China and relaxes environmental regulations and, in exchange, the tech industry cuts down on outsourcing and H1B usage (thus bringing back some jobs to the US).

Just now, Altherion said:

Looks like it didn't take the tech industry long to adapt itself to Trump's ideas. 

LOL. Yeah, I'm sure these people's ideas were lifted from Donald Trump.

Like he has one iota of a fucking clue about the tech industry.

13 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Given that he has already met with them, I suspect he does have at least a clue, but that is not the point. Trump's ideas (increased protectionism and reduced regulations) were not specific to the tech industry and he probably did not plan out their application to it -- the tech leaders just did it for him.

16 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah, it sounds more like they are just rolling in on the tides of change here. It actually makes a lot of sense. These are things he'd likely implement anyway in other industries. They'd be stupid not to take advantage of it. 

Given that he has already met with them, I suspect he does have at least a clue, but that is not the point.

Yeah, after they told him what they're concerns were.  And that is whether he even bothered to remember what they told him.

Trump's ideas (increased protectionism and reduced regulations) were not specific to the tech industry and he probably did not plan out their application to it -- the tech leaders just did it for him.

Yeah, I'm sure their recommendations were really inspired by Trump.

Like, they had no frickin clue about what they wanted to do. And then they met with Trump and Presto they came up with all this stuff.

Buy the way, in that tech paper, did they say anything about raising tariffs? I glanced through it quickly. Couldn't find anything about it. Did you find it?

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

"Alphabet" is better known as the parent company of Google (the latter restructured itself into a holding company). Other members of the group that worked on the report includes current and former executives from Intel, Qualcomm and Global Foundries as well as less semiconductor-oriented companies like Northrop Grumman and Morgan Stanley. Looks like it didn't take the tech industry long to adapt itself to Trump's ideas. There may be room for a deal here: Trump increases the protectionism against China and relaxes environmental regulations and, in exchange, the tech industry cuts down on outsourcing and H1B usage (thus bringing back some jobs to the US).

I hate to tell you this, but people who Google brings in on H1B visas (like a couple of friends of mine) are not factory workers.  The designers are located in California, the plants are overseas.

As some commentators have pointed out, products like the iPhone are made at facilities with 150,000 employees, in factory cities where their Chinese manufacturer has built massive plants surrounded by what is essentially dormitory apartment buildings housing low paid employees who regularly commit suicide by throwing themselves out of their apartment windows. Where in the USA are you going to find 150,000, or even 50,000, workers who will work long hours six days a week for minimum wage to meet the demand for cheap iPhones?

Fox News' Shep Smith defends CNN anchor.  

Smith said, on behalf of Fox News, that CNN followed “journalistic standards” in the report it published ― which was “distinctly different” from BuzzFeed’s. CNN’s story, unlike Buzzfeed’s, did not include the full, unedited dossier of unverified allegations made about Trump’s ties to Russia.

Smith added that no journalists should be treated in the way Trump treated CNN’s Jim Acosta. Acosta had said Wednesday that Trump’s press secretary threatened to have him thrown out of the press conference if he questioned the president-elect.

I imagine a bunch of conservative Trumpsters are malfunctioning right now.

Archived