What would you do?: Business protocols and dirty diapers

Rhom

Goals for the month of january

Invite people to my home and without prior warning make them carry out their own waste and provide no means of disposal (not even a plastic bag!) and then call them entitled when they complain about it or throw it on the ground outside.  

Quick survey: What do you find more disgusting, dog shit or people shit?

Personally, I feel that shit is shit, no matter from whence it came.  However, in the interests of total honesty, I would say people shit edges out dog shit on the disgust-o-meter by a wee bit.  I've dealt with my fair share of both types in my life, so this isn't as random as it seems. 

But, yeah, the doc was kinda a dick for not allowing the use of his/her GARBAGE can for GARBAGE. 

Sorry Dr. Pepper,

But as a father to a 5 year old, I would never have considered leaving a dirty diaper behind in the manner you described.  Our choice to have children should not create a burden for others.  Having children is hard. . . damn hard. . . but its not anyone else's burden than those of us that chose to have them.

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

Quick survey: What do you find more disgusting, dog shit or people shit?

Personally, I feel that shit is shit, no matter from whence it came.  However, in the interests of total honesty, I would say people shit edges out dog shit on the disgust-o-meter by a wee bit.  I've dealt with my fair share of both types in my life, so this isn't as random as it seems. 

But, yeah, the doc was kinda a dick for not allowing the use of his/her GARBAGE can for GARBAGE. 

Human shit is grosser.  My dog can eat the same thing every day and his shit will never change.  Babies can eat the same thing every day and their shit can change whenever.  Like have a disgusting massive blow out for no reason at all resulting in shit going up the back and down the legs within seconds even though not a single thing in the diet changed.  

20 minutes ago, horangi said:

Sorry Dr. Pepper,

But as a father to a 5 year old, I would never have considered leaving a dirty diaper behind in the manner you described.  Our choice to have children should not create a burden for others.  Having children is hard. . . damn hard. . . but its not anyone else's burden than those of us that chose to have them.

You obviously have no idea what sort of parent I am or exactly what type of fiscal "burden" all of my kids are to the public.  

You also obviously have no idea how the world works.  If you aren't farming out some of those 'burdens'  associated with raising a person to others, then you're probably living in an extremely unique situation.  I'm talking about things like waste disposal, child care, education, health care, etc.  I'm pretty sure that at least one or two of these items you expect others to contribute in some way.  Children create a certain type of burden and it's society's responsibility to share in at least some of it.  Maybe if they shared in it more, I would no longer have children to parent because their own birth families wouldn't be crippled up the weight of poverty.  

And again, this doctor invited me to his place of business, gave permission to bring the baby, and then told me I could not properly dispose of the baby's waste.  I asked to toss it in the dumpster to prevent others from having to deal with the smell, but he literally made me walk around with a clothing bundle wrapped around a leaky, slimy, massive diarrhea blow out potentially spreading all those germs from that shit and endangering his other patients.  He had no idea whether or not my foster son has a communicable disease or not.  Just "nope, you'll need to take that with you."  This would be like me inviting someone to my home and then without warning say they have to carry out their own pee or shit.  There's no way most of you would defend that.  You'd all be "that's so fucked up man." 

20 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

And again, this doctor invited me to his place of business, gave permission to bring the baby, and then told me I could not properly dispose of the baby's waste.  I asked to toss it in the dumpster to prevent others from having to deal with the smell, but he literally made me walk around with a clothing bundle wrapped around a leaky, slimy, massive diarrhea blow out potentially spreading all those germs from that shit and endangering his other patients.  He had no idea whether or not my foster son has a communicable disease or not.  Just "nope, you'll need to take that with you."  This would be like me inviting someone to my home and then without warning say they have to carry out their own pee or shit.  There's no way most of you would defend that.  You'd all be "that's so fucked up man." 

One can never really know and that's one of the reasons diapers are supposed to be disposed properly. Leaving them around can be an actual health risk.

Be tidy from now on, ok :) 

Sorry (again) Dr. Pepper,

But I do know how the world works,in all of its awfulness. Both of my wife's parents live on a different continent, neither with even an elementary school education.  None of my family lives within a 500 mile radius of me, and none are in a position to help us even if they wanted to.  My childcare option has been to carry a 10-40lbs (as she has grown older) kid on my back for an hour each way to work starting at 4:30am just to have the 'privilege' of having daycare at the cost of 1/4 of our salary.  All of this said- I do not accept that any other persons than me and my wife have responsibility for raising my daughter.  Quite frankly a little 'well distributed poop' is hardly a crises invoking other unrelated peoples tolerances.

33 minutes ago, horangi said:

Sorry (again) Dr. Pepper,

But I do know how the world works,in all of its awfulness. Both of my wife's parents live on a different continent, neither with even an elementary school education.  None of my family lives within a 500 mile radius of me, and none are in a position to help us even if they wanted to.  My childcare option has been to carry a 10-40lbs (as she has grown older) kid on my back for an hour each way to work starting at 4:30am just to have the 'privilege' of having daycare at the cost of 1/4 of our salary.  All of this said- I do not accept that any other persons than me and my wife have responsibility for raising my daughter.  Quite frankly a little 'well distributed poop' is hardly a crises invoking other unrelated peoples tolerances.

And yet you send your child to daycare.....

So when you're walking to that daycare (where I assume both you and your wife work so that you are the only ones 100% responsible for your child's care), I take it that you walk on a path that is your own personal property and not any sort of space that might be maintained by others, whether publicly or privately?  And when your child relieves herself at daycare (where I suppose you work), you take her waste home with you and dispose of it in your own private landfill (ok, this one is possible if you have a private septic tank or even bury/burn your trash whether legally or not, I know a lot of people who do this because they are simply too poor to afford otherwise and live in places where waste disposal is privatized)?  And you've never ever EVER used a public restroom where you left your waste behind in a toilet or a trash can?  You have no intention of providing your child with an education outside the home?  

I don't know what your family has to do with any of this.  I recognize that I contribute to the care of other people just as much as other people contribute to the care of me and mine.  That's how most societies work.  

I didn't call the diaper situation a crisis.  I have said it as ridiculous that a person who invited both myself and my baby to their place of business decided to not allow the child to dispose of his waste (my waste was just fine staying on the premises in the proper receptacle).  When I return to this doctor this week, I'll be sure to leave the dirty diaper on his desk this time.  Or maybe he'll just stop discriminating against a baby and allow him to utilize the same services he allows all others he invites into his practice.  

On 14/01/2017 at 1:43 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

No one has ever asked me to remove my waste from the building and take it with me.  And yet people constantly ask that I do that with a baby.  It's bullshit.  What's more is that I spoke to this particular doctor's office in advance and asked if I could bring my baby or if I should reschedule because he can't be left with a babysitter right now.  They said bring him, no problem, and then told me I could not use a single receptacle to dispose of his waste.   I didn't even intend to leave it in an indoor trash can, but the outdoor dumpster.  "Sorry, we have a policy that the dumpster isn't for public use."

Yeah, whatever.

To be clear, the doctors office (if it is their policy) or the member of staff who specifically told you this is at fault. You can't very well offer a service which provides zero bathroom facilities. That is ethically wrong.

I did not mean 'hey, why don't you, as a default, always remove your waste products from every site you visit' but merely, on this particular occasion (as, hopefully, it is not a common event for doctors, dentists, schools, stores, whatever to refuse the right of patrons to dispose of waste (of any reasonable kind) while they are there) why could you not take it away with you since you were in a car. No, you shouldn't have had to do it because you should have been permitted to dispose of it at the doctors (either indoors or outdoors), but could you have done it on this occasion...

If you approached it from a purely medical point of view, that would be fine. Giving parenting advice, presented as such, is rarely welcome (no matter the context). That being said, there are millions if not billions of people on this planet who are either ignorant of best practices or are conditioned based on their own life experiences or societal constraints who could benefit from advice from someone they deem to be knowledgable based on their profession. 

I'm of the opinion that it is generally better to say something than hold your tongue. Best case scenario is you'll be heard and make difference. Worst case scenario is nothing changes.

Dr. P, was there a toilet adult people visiting the doctor could use? I am sure there would be a trash can there for other waste that the doctor probably could not say you cannot use (what could he/she do, follow you to the bathroom and pick it up from the trash?). 

The doctor acted unreasonably, no question there.

9 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

If you approached it from a purely medical point of view, that would be fine. Giving parenting advice, presented as such, is rarely welcome (no matter the context). .

This is not about parenting advice.  It's about littering.

Which I think we can all agree is wrong, and particularly gross and rude when you're talking about something like a dirty diaper.

42 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

This is not about parenting advice.  It's about littering.

Which I think we can all agree is wrong, and particularly gross and rude when you're talking about something like a dirty diaper.

Ah, I misunderstood the OP. It was pretty late when I commented. Haha.

In that case, yes, it is gross.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Dr. P, was there a toilet adult people visiting the doctor could use? I am sure there would be a trash can there for other waste that the doctor probably could not say you cannot use (what could he/she do, follow you to the bathroom and pick it up from the trash?). 

The doctor acted unreasonably, no question there.

Yup, that's where I changed the diaper (and relieved myself as well).  

Typical etiquette is to not leave behind smelly baby waste that can't be flushed so I walked out of the bathroom with the diaper intending to both acquire a plastic bag (mine were in the car as I hadn't anticipated this sort of stomach issue with the baby) and to ask for the outdoor disposal area, which is when I was told I need to take it with me when I left.  I absolutely should have just chucked it into any trash bin available, though I honestly thought they were joking at first because it was so ridiculously absurd.  

It's pretty unlikely the situation will be repeated again because this particular baby is pretty regular 99% of the time, but if it does I'm definitely chucking the diaper into the nearest waste bin and letting the office deal with it.  I'm sure if I report about it here we'll get the same people saying "but you're so rude and the doctor was totally reasonable" because that's what those type of people always say. 

3 minutes ago, Joey Crows said:

Ah, I misunderstood the OP. It was pretty late when I commented. Haha.

In that case, yes, it is gross.

Nah, you didn't misunderstand the OP.  He definitely thought it was a parenting advice issue rather than a littering one, seemingly because the patient uses medicaid.  

39 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yup, that's where I changed the diaper (and relieved myself as well).  

Typical etiquette is to not leave behind smelly baby waste that can't be flushed so I walked out of the bathroom with the diaper intending to both acquire a plastic bag (mine were in the car as I hadn't anticipated this sort of stomach issue with the baby) and to ask for the outdoor disposal area, which is when I was told I need to take it with me when I left.  I absolutely should have just chucked it into any trash bin available, though I honestly thought they were joking at first because it was so ridiculously absurd.  

It's pretty unlikely the situation will be repeated again because this particular baby is pretty regular 99% of the time, but if it does I'm definitely chucking the diaper into the nearest waste bin and letting the office deal with it.  I'm sure if I report about it here we'll get the same people saying "but you're so rude and the doctor was totally reasonable" because that's what those type of people always say. 

Except that no one has said that.

it's entirely possible, believe it or not, to believe that leaving a dirty diaper in a public parking lot is wrong, regardless of the behavior of the doctor.  

It's not complicated.

7 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Except that no one has said that.

it's entirely possible, believe it or not, to believe that leaving a dirty diaper in a public parking lot is wrong, regardless of the behavior of the doctor.  

It's not complicated.

Is this you playing dumb again?

I didn't say anyone has said that.  I wrote that you and your ilk would say that.  

11 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Is this you playing dumb again?

I didn't say anyone has said that.  I wrote that you and your ilk would say that.  

ha.  

Uh...  OK?  Not sure why people of 'my ilk'(whatever that means) are holding back this time but would say that next time, but we've clearly long since exited the part of this conversation involving actual logic.

On 1/13/2017 at 5:25 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

Lol, had a run in and thought of this thread.

Went to doctor appointment.  Baby had a diaper blowout as babies sometimes do.  Doctor told me not to leave diaper in trash bin.  Provided no alternatives for disposal.  I left it in the parking lot. 

Still don't need parenting advice.  

You sound proud of this.  It's gross.  You seem to need some kind of advice on being more responsible.

Archived