Ice Spiders. Have we read about one?.

Macgregor of the North

On 1/17/2017 at 11:58 PM, Macgregor of the North said:

@Dorian Martell's son was wondering, are you perhaps the returned Dorian Martell who used to frequent the forum but just disappeared one day?. That would be interesting.

Back to the topic. Here's a thread where we discussed Dragonsteel a while back. 

On page two I touch on the use of Iron in ancient times like the Age of heroes (Steel is just smelted Iron Ore). Infact the whole thread is quite interesting if you get the time to read it. 

No, that was my dad. He is dead, and hundreds if not thousands of women in the reach will now be lacking in their bedrooms with only their husbands to comfort them. But that is beside the point. MY guess is that Dragonsteel = Valyrian steel, but you never know with GRRM 

On 21/01/2017 at 8:02 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

No, that was my dad. He is dead, and hundreds if not thousands of women in the reach will now be lacking in their bedrooms with only their husbands to comfort them. But that is beside the point. MY guess is that Dragonsteel = Valyrian steel, but you never know with GRRM 

Hahaha only just noticed this. Welcome back DM, this time round we can stay civil im sure. After all, it seems we agree on most things. 

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

How would you feel about this massive spider actually being a crab?  

Crab, Ice Dragon, whatever mate I'd be cool. It's just cos we've read about huge Ice Spiders and the Long Night quite a bit so every time I read that passage about the Hero fighting his monster it's always the image of a huge cold badass spider that pops into my head.:unsure:

22 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Crab, Ice Dragon, whatever mate I'd be cool. It's just cos we've read about huge Ice Spiders and the Long Night quite a bit so every time I read that passage about the Hero fighting his monster it's always the image of a huge cold badass spider that pops into my head.:unsure:

It's not the wrong thing to conjure up at all.  Only that we've looked and found no big spiders in real life or on Planetos.  Only legends about monstrous spiders. My friend I were looking for spiders she was the one who came up with crabs as an alternative because they resemble spiders.  We've got some branch of the Wildlings worshipping "  dark gods beneath the ground in the Frostfangs, gods of snow and ice on the Frozen Shore, or crab gods at Storrold’s Pont...AWOIAF p 364 ".  Apparently there are some giant big ass crabs in our world.  Take it or leave it, I can only offer our experiences with the spiders.  I hate being preoccupied looking for some of the creatures in this story!  

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

It's not the wrong thing to conjure up at all.  Only that we've looked and found no big spiders in real life or on Planetos.  Only legends about monstrous spiders. My friend I were looking for spiders she was the one who came up with crabs as an alternative because they resemble spiders.  We've got some branch of the Wildlings worshipping "  dark gods beneath the ground in the Frostfangs, gods of snow and ice on the Frozen Shore, or crab gods at Storrold’s Pont...AWOIAF p 364 ".  Apparently there are some giant big ass crabs in our world.  Take it or leave it, I can only offer our experiences with the spiders.  I hate being preoccupied looking for some of the creatures in this story!  

I've always liked that passage. Gods of Snow and Ice, awesome. And the crab bit certainly stands out. I'm firmly in the camp that this story we love has some big ass creatures we haven't seen yet. Krakens I think definitely lurk the seas, Wyverns are around too, and your huge Crabs, they just might be up there somewhere also. 

Ice Dragons are something I wanna believe in but I'm hesitant on that one and need a little more from GRRM to fully believe. 

Archived