Year in Movies: 2016 edition

Ramsay B.

Wait .......apparently at least 3 posters viewed "Ghostbusters"?

How does one actually get trapped into that, I'm assuming some form of kidnapped scenario was involved?

jk:D

Most of the movies I watched in 2016 where actually 2015 or even earlier movies. I did catch-

In no particular rank

The Finest Hours- Probably my favorite of 2016 films I viewed, true story

Rogue One- Entertaining, didnt blow me away

Capt America Civil War- Entertaining, didnt blow me away

Jungle Book- Charming and well done

10 Cloverfield Lane- So, so

Jason Bourne- Having trouble recalling much but Ive enjoyed each Bourne flik previously?

Seige of Jadotville- Interesting story and setting, true story

13 Hours the Secret Soldiers- Kind of a suspeneful shoot em up, if your into that kind of thing. Allegedely true events.

The Gods of Egypt- As one with an actual passing interest in Egyptian Gods, I appreciated the subject matter and cast, but I wish they couldve delivered a bit better movie. That said, this couldnt have been a simple task, I for one, am glad they gave it a go.

However most of the best sounding movies I havent seen yet, but hope to soon, these would be-

Manchester By the Sea- Casey Afleck is usually outstanding, possible Oscar here?

Patriots Day- This is homecooking for Mahky Mahk, you know he wanted this role.

Deepwater Horizon- Huge story, probably tidbits of insider and political controversy over this disastrous spill?

Hacksaw Ridge- Mel Gibson reminds me of Woody Allen at this point, huge assholes but still like their movies.

Jackie- I love Natalie Portman, love Jackie O, what could go wrong?

Arrival- Get your Sci/Fi on!

Hell or Highwater- Looks kinda Westernly cool to me

Anyways mostve the best stuff....am still looking forward to catching. Of those I did catch, The Finest Hours with Casey Afleck was the most entertaining for me.

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Wait .......apparently at least 3 posters viewed "Ghostbusters"?

How does one actually get trapped into that, I'm assuming some form of kidnapped scenario was involved?

Seige of Jadotville- Interesting story and setting, true story

Yeah, I rented Ghostbusters on Amazon in an extreme moment of boredom. Almost stopped watching twice. Terrible movie. Had I gone to see it in the theater, it might have become the first movie to ever walk out of.

I forgot to add Siege of Jadotville to my list. Still not used to Netlfix releasing movies that are of the same caliber as threater movies. I liked it, but not as much as I wanted to. I don't think they did that good a job of making the viewers understand both the geo-politcal and military setting of the story. 

And on the Netflix note, I also saw Spectral, an OK action SF that will remind anyone of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. Poor choice for the setting, imo.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Patriots Day- This is homecooking for Mahky Mahk, you know he wanted this role.

So did you actually like the movie? I haven't seen it and don't know anyone who has so I'm interested. Marky Mark saying "You messed with the wrong city" in the trailer was kind of embarrassing though. The documentary on HBO about the bombings was sad but very well done. 

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

So did you actually like the movie? I haven't seen it and don't know anyone who has so I'm interested. Marky Mark saying "You messed with the wrong city" in the trailer was kind of embarrassing though. The documentary on HBO about the bombings was sad but very well done. 

The lower group of movies I listed, are all the great sounding 2016 movie I want to see, but havent yet.

p.s. I dont have too much of a problem with Wahlberg having that one line from a trailer. Hopefully the dramatization will honor the innocents though, we'll see I suppose?

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The lower group of movies I listed, are all the great sounding 2016 movie I want to see, but havent yet.

Ha, you clearly stated that above and I still somehow missed it. 

I forgot to put Everbody Wants Some!! on my list. I didn't really care for it all that much so it would probably be lower down.

My favorite movies of 2016:

The Nice Guys

Midnight Special

10 Cloverfield Lane

Hail, Caesar!

Doctor Strange

Movies that I'm looking forward to watching: Arrival, Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Moonlight, Green Room, Moana.

1. Hell or High Water- didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Sucker for a good brothers story and Chris Pine and Ben Foster were top notch. Plus a Nick Cave/Warren Ellis score never disappoints.  

2. Silence- such a heavy movie. Long and grueling but I was immersed almost the entire time. One of the few movies where I really felt like I was there with the main character. Garfield was amazing as were all the Japanese actors. Scorsese is still the best in the business.

3. Nice Guys- hilarious and this movie made me a fan of Gosling. Never knew he could do comedy and do it so well. Pretty much everything out of his mouth made me laugh and his chemistry with Crowe was perfect.

4. Arrival- Not my favorite Villenueve but it was still very good. Full of some beautiful and suspenseful moments. Looking forward to the new Blade Runner flick. 

Also saw Rogue One which was pretty good but not near the quality of those four for me. 

Still want to see Fantastic Beasts, Hail Caesar,  and maybe Hacksaw Ridge if only to check out Garfields performance.

On 1/21/2017 at 10:36 PM, Veltigar said:

Due to circumstances, I'm not as caught up with everything that came out in 2016 moviewise. I'll rank the ones I have seen and list those that I still want to see :) 

For various reasons, the first six were the hardest to rank I'd have to say :) 

1) Hell or High Water. I loved how atmospheric this film. I felt like it somehow showed me a glimpse of the soul of eastern Texas. The acting was great, the screenplay brilliant and it just gave me the feels really. Definitely one of the films everyone should have seen this year. 

2) La Tortue Rouge. It's the first and hitherto only film Studio Ghibli has ever done with an outsider, so that should tell you everything you need to know. The director, Michael Dudok de Wit, made a stunningly beautiful piece of animation. It's very quiet and unintrusive, but it sticks with you. 

3) The Nice Guys. I'm truly sad that this film underperformed at the box-office. Russel Crowe, Ryan Gosling and Angourie Rice were so damn great in this. The film was funny, fastpaced and exciting. If the world was a just place, we would get a franchise out of this. I could definitely see myself watching other films with those three people. Alas, it doesn't seem likely. 

4) Frantz. François Ozon is a pretty uneven filmmaker, but when he gets it right he scores. This was a very dignified film, mostly thanks to a great performance by Paula Beer (truly a revelation). 

5) Deadpool. A superhero film I did not just like, but I could also see myself watching this again ( a very rare occurence). This was just a great time at the movies with my mates. We all laughed our asses off. The only thing I can say is that I really look forward to the sequel. 

6) Zootopia. A particularly beautiful piece of disney animation and that's hard for me to say, because I usually strongly prefer more traditionally drawn animation (I know it's all done by computers nowadays, but you know what I mean)  to this style. The film had great characters, a lovely message and it's the kind of film that deserves a pretty good place in the disney canon.

7) Love & Friendship. This is a delightful little film. Nothing more needs to be set of it, only that it was nice to see Kate Beckinsale in a good role for once. It was also a pretty funny film, mostly thanks to Tom Bennett. He made me laugh quite a bit.

8) Gods of Egypt. Objectively this is the worst film on my list. Everything from the acting to the special effects is awful and yet I rate it above a lot of others because it was damn enjoyable. I can really appreciate a funny bad movie and this one is a very proud addition to the genre. 

9) The Neon Demon. I'm a huge admirer of Winding Refn. I think he's made some truly great films (Pusher II, Valhalla Rising, Drive and Only God Forgives), but with this one he's just not playing in the same league. I think Refn is at the point in his career where he needs someone to step in and say 'isn't this a bit much?' or 'perhaps this screenplay needs some more work.' It's not as bad as George Lucas right before the prequels, but he's slowly getting there. Overall I'd say I still liked it, but it could have been a lot beter.

10) Captain America: Civil War. Just your average, forgettable superhero film. None of it made any sense, even by Marvel's very low standards. Spiderman was rather nice though, which was a pleasant surprise since I can't really stand the character. 

11) The Young Hyacint. This was a terrible, stinking piece of feces. It's only a tv-film, but I'm including it because I wanted another opportunity to bash this illguided endeavour. As a big fan of Keeping up Appearances, I just hated it from start to finish. Such a shame really, because the BBC is able to create really good tv-films. In 2014, that blessed year for film, they had A Poet in New York, which was a really strong film. Sadly, The Young Hyacint does not reach those heights. 

Films I still want to see:

Moonlight
Manchester by the sea
Rogue One
The Handmaiden
The Witch: A New England Folktale
Nocturnal Animals
Silence
Arrival
La La Land
The Birth of a Nation
Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them
Green Room
Sing Street
Moana
Hacksaw Ridge
Swiss Army Man

I always enjoy seeing your end of year lists Veltigar, they are usually very extensive and the last few years I used them to find some films that were unknown to me. This is indeed a quiet year for you. Anyway, I agree with your dislikes, including the dreadfully dull Hyacinth which I only saw a bit of because my mom used to be a fan of the series.

I like Zootopia as well, and from this list will check out Red Turtle and "Frantz" which looks quite interesting.

From your to-watch list, I have Manchester, Moonlight, Silence, Birth of a Nation, Hacksaw Ridge all lined up, and I will add "Loving" to that, you might enjoy that as well. I have also added "American Honey".

32 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

1. Hell or High Water- didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Sucker for a good brothers story and Chris Pine and Ben Foster were top notch. Plus a Nick Cave/Warren Ellis score never disappoints.  

2. Silence- such a heavy movie. Long and grueling but I was immersed almost the entire time. One of the few movies where I really felt like I was there with the main character. Garfield was amazing as were all the Japanese actors. Scorsese is still the best in the business.

Still want to see Fantastic Beasts, Hail Caesar,  and maybe Hacksaw Ridge if only to check out Garfields performance.

Really looking forward to watching Silence, looks like a great but intense film.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:16 AM, Ramsay B. said:

I saw Patriots Day and can say that I really liked it. They take the material seriously and don't over due the "action" parts. After I saw it I read a lot of interviews from the real life people who were portrayed in the movie and every one of them said that the movie was very close to what really happened.

Parts that are not entirely factual - 1. Marks' character isn't real, it's a combination of several officers from that day. 2. The explosions in the shoot out scene had Hollywood flames added to them, but the rest of it was correct, including the feeling of chaos and people caught in the cross fire. 3. The bombers wife and her lawyers dispute how she is portrayed but all of the investigators back up what is seen on screen.

The movie uses quite a bit of real life footage in it as well. I honestly didn't go into the movie expecting it to be that true to the actual events.

I forgot I also saw Sausage Party this year. I'll include that as well :)

1) Hell or High Water
2) La Tortue Rouge
3) The Nice Guys
4) Frantz
5) Deadpool
6) Zootopia
7) Love & Friendship
8) Gods of Egypt
9) The Neon Demon
10) Captain America: Civil War
11) Sausage Party
12) The Young Hyacint

=> Such a massive disappointment that one. I was floored by the trailers and I do love their earlier collaborations (even the unfairly maligned Your Highness), but Sausage Party just couldn't cut it. The movie never quite came together for me. The best bits were all in the trailers and it was just so infantile, which never really bothered me before about their films, but it just jarred with the verious serious topic they used as the basis for this film.

On 23-1-2017 at 0:44 PM, Calibandar said:

I always enjoy seeing your end of year lists Veltigar, they are usually very extensive and the last few years I used them to find some films that were unknown to me. This is indeed a quiet year for you. Anyway, I agree with your dislikes, including the dreadfully dull Hyacinth which I only saw a bit of because my mom used to be a fan of the series.

Thanks man :) I always compiled those lists with a lot of love. It's good to know someone beside me found some enjoyment in them. It really is a small list this year, I think due to a combination of things. For one, I think that so far this has been quite a bad year for films. There wasn't even one summer blockbuster remotely watchable. So we lost more than half of the year and the second part I of the year I was terribly busy. And of course, the release of quality films (e.g. Silence and Moonlight) is even later than usual over here, so that list will stay small for quite some time probably. Although I hope to add a couple of entries to the list soon :)

"Loving" 

Sadly starring Joel Edgerton, so that's almost an automatic pass for me :) American Honey looks promising though, although that runtime is quite daunting :o 

And I just knocked-off Train to Busan from my watchlist. I hadn't mentioned that one before, because I honestly have to admit I wasn't expecting much. I just wanted to see a dumb generic zombie flick this evening, but it was much better than that. This is the film World War Z wished it was and definitely the best zombiefilm I have seen since Zombeavers (just kidding, since 28 Days Later). There were still some really, really dumb moments but the characters worked and that's something these films almost never get right.

1) Hell or High Water
2) La Tortue Rouge
3) The Nice Guys
4) Train to Busan
5) Frantz
6) Deadpool
7) Zootopia
8) Love & Friendship
9) Gods of Egypt
10) The Neon Demon
11) Captain America: Civil War
12) Sausage Party
13) The Young Hyacint

Ranking those first seven films is pretty much killing me. I like them all for various reasons and I could make some wild changes to the ranking of those films. 

I just watched Zootopia and have to put in the good part of my list. Usually I am skeptical about animated movies, and only look to have a laugh when I watch them, but considering the times we live in, Zootopia is a good movie to watch.

12 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I am surprised at the extent to which the film fans here all seem to have avoided La La Land.  I think it terribly worth seeing and I went out of my way mostly because I want to see the key nominated films.

Hey, I have an excuse. Where I live, La La Land isn't even out yet :P Although starting from tomorrow I'll have no excuses left ;) 

44 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I am surprised at the extent to which the film fans here all seem to have avoided La La Land.  I think it terribly worth seeing and I went out of my way mostly because I want to see the key nominated films.

Some people have absolutely no interest in seeing a musical. It's certainly not something I'd make a trip to the theater for.

Archived