Year in Movies: 2016 edition

Ramsay B.

I thought Pine gave the best performance of HoHW. Or at least the performance that impressed me the most anyway. All three of the leads were great, but like Veltigar said, we've seen Bridges play that role before (True Grit for example), and Foster is always good imo. I look at Pine completely different after seeing him in HoHW. I no longer see him as just a pretty boy action star. He has some real acting chops. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Veltigar said:

Sadly a lot of people must have thought so, since the film wasn't a succes. A shame because it was great fun.

Well, guess what premiered on HBO this weekend, Nice Guys. Watched it and it was an decent movie. Not something I plan to watch again but if I had paid to see it at the movies I would not have been disappointed. Whoever put together the movie trailers did this a disservice.

10 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Here's a list of my 10 Least Favorite Films of 2016 in order from bad to worst. So #10 is the worst. Got it? Good. Let's do this...

01. Suicide Squad - So I saw this opening weekend in IMAX 3D with a group of friends and they liked it a lot more than I did. I wanted to love it, but I was soured on it. Then I got the blu ray for Christmas and re-watched it. Yeah, it's bad y'all. Like unnecessarily bad. I love the characters of the Joker & Harley, and I love that DC had the guts to do an anti-Justice League movie before they even did a Justice League movie. I do love Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn and I like Leto's Joker. Wil Smith as Deadshot was interesting. Amanda Waller was good at being nasty, too. But the rest was a mess. A disappointing mess. 

02. Purge: Election Year - I expected this to be bad and it was. It is a tradition now for me and three of my friends to see this film in the theater and MST3K it for our own amusement. 

04. Independence Day: Resurgence - All I expected was a fun, dumb action film with cool alien battles and splosions. They couldn't even get that right.

06. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - I thought the first film was a solid action-suspense flick. This one was a by the numbers snoozefest.

10. Ghostbusters - I don't care if your Ghostbusters are men, women, or hobbits--if I'm actively bored during a fucking Ghostbusters film then something is tragically amiss. The team that brought us Bridesmaids seemed like a solid bet to reboot the franchise. Hashtag no sarcasm. Seriously. I loved Bridesmaids. I loved Melissa McCarthy in Spy and I liked her in the Boss, but she was so bland in this film. Wiig is used to being the awkward, odd gal in her comedy but that role was given over to the less talented Kate McKinnon, who was way too self aware in her performance for my liking. Leslie Jones delivered some laughs for me. I'm glad they did try this remake/reboot though. For so many years people have thought it was the premise that made Ghostbusters so special, and that's part of it. But the other crucial element that makes the original Ghostbusters a modern classic is the chemistry and charisma of the cast. You apparently can't reboot that.

I deleted some off that I haven't seen to save space...

Suicide Squad - I think this is a consensus dud. For me HQ was the only saving grace of a joke of a movie

Purge - Like you I go see this just because I have been seeing the others

Independence crap - Like you said, I went there expecting just a decent SCI FI shoot em up movie and left laughing at how fucking stupid it was

Jack Reacher - I liked the first one, but this one just seemed wrong and not well done. I mean I accepted Cruise playing Reacher, a 6' 6" character, but then this movie changed so much about who Reacher is that it ruined it

Ghostbusters - Couldn't pay me to watch this after seeing the previews and reviews. I loved the original, I was a kid when it came out. It was the people and the acting that drove that movie. The ghosts and effects were great but it was the people who drove it.

As to Hell or Highwater, I went into it with pretty low expectations and maybe partly due to that I was very happy with what I saw. Will definitely watch this again when it comes to HBO.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I thought Pine gave the best performance of HoHW. Or at least the performance that impressed me the most anyway. All three of the leads were great, but like Veltigar said, we've seen Bridges play that role before (True Grit for example), and Foster is always good imo. I look at Pine completely different after seeing him in HoHW. I no longer see him as just a pretty boy action star. He has some real acting chops. 

I can get behind that :) if you take their previous performances into account, Pine was indeed the most surprising of the lot. I would never have expected him to be able to hold his own against Bridges and Foster, but he did :) 

24 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well, guess what premiered on HBO this weekend, Nice Guys. Watched it and it was an decent movie. Not something I plan to watch again but if I had paid to see it at the movies I would not have been disappointed. Whoever put together the movie trailers did this a disservice.

It's reminiscent of Edge of Tomorrow on that front sadly :( 

Wow, thanks for the interest. But ranking ALL of the rest of the films I saw in 2016 is a nigh impossibly tall order. I saw a total of 91 new films in 2016, of which 60 were actually released in 2016.The other 31 weren't released in 2016 but rather films I saw for the first time in 2016. On my original list a few pages back I did list all the other films I saw  that were in deed released in 2016.

Holy crap dude :o You're my new hero! I get that you can't even begin to rank all of them. 

07. Zoolander 2 - I'm not sure why the first one is one of the most quoted comedies of my generation and the sequel is so terrible I have had people openly mock me for having watched it the whole way through. It's so bad that it's not even worth analyzing why it's so bad.

I'm kind of impressed you were able to finish it :o Tell me is it better or worse than Anchorman 2? I passed on Zoolander after the bad reviews, mainly because my experience with Anchorman 2 was so abysmally bad.

Here's a list of my 10 Least Favorite Films of 2016 in order from bad to worst. So #10 is the worst. Got it? Good. Let's do this...

I would also like to express my deepest sympathy for having to sit through all these turds. You're like the guy who threw himself on a handgrenade just to save the rest of the team ;) 

On 1/30/2017 at 7:07 AM, Veltigar said:

...Holy crap dude :o You're my new hero! I get that you can't even begin to rank all of them. 

I'm kind of impressed you were able to finish it :o Tell me is it better or worse than Anchorman 2? I passed on Zoolander after the bad reviews, mainly because my experience with Anchorman 2 was so abysmally bad.

I would also like to express my deepest sympathy for having to sit through all these turds. You're like the guy who threw himself on a handgrenade just to save the rest of the team ;) 

Pine has done solid work in the past, so I wasn't really surprised by his performance in HoHW. Finest Hours was a boring movie but Pine gave a great performance. As for Bridges, sure he's played similar Texas lawmen types in the past, but this guy had a loneliness and vulnerability to the character that I hadn't seen before.

Yeah, I'm a big time cinephile, as if that wasn't evident. I actually used to watch more films a year than that, but TV has gotten so good the past 5 years or so that it has seriously cut in to my movie watching.

And Anchorman 2 was better than Zoolander 2, but not by much. :/ Damn, that was a disappointing film. I remember a group of us went to see it opening weekend in the theater and were just so let down by it. Only time I've seen it except for the celebrity cameo filled fight sequence on youtube.

And the sympathy is appreciated, but I'm just doing my duty for the team, Sarge. ;)

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, dbunting said:

This goes exactly the same for me, down to catching it on HBO last weekend.

Solid film, enjoyed it, don't care if I see it again, someday maybe I will or maybe I won't.

Best part:

Spoiler

The mermaid swimming past the window and seeing Gosling chasing after.

Had me :rofl: 

Hello Community,

This is Kashfiya Rafa just join this community by the reference of my Pro movie Lover friend Gustavo Woltmann.
Actually I am a big fan of Crime thriller movies most. So here is my list of Crime thriller movies for you. So, sit back, put on your detective hat and take in the best crime thriller movies.
Don't forget to post yours list 

- Fargo
- Serpico
- Miller's Crossing
- The Boondock Saints 
- Heist
- Carlito's Way
- Two Hands
- Dog Day Afternoon
- The Town
- The Bank Job
- Harry Brown
- Goodfellas
- Once Upon a Time in America 
- On the Waterfront
- The Maltese Falcon
- Le Samourai
- Touch of Evil
- Blood Simple
- The French Connection

Have a nice day 

7 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

And Anchorman 2 was better than Zoolander 2, but not by much. :/ Damn, that was a disappointing film. I remember a group of us went to see it opening weekend in the theater and were just so let down by it. Only time I've seen it except for the celebrity cameo filled fight sequence on youtube.

Isn't this kind of like comparing a cat turd to a dog turd? I mean, one is better but only because it's coated in litter!

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

This goes exactly the same for me, down to catching it on HBO last weekend.

Solid film, enjoyed it, don't care if I see it again, someday maybe I will or maybe I won't.

Best part:

Hide contents

The mermaid swimming past the window and seeing Gosling chasing after.

Had me :rofl: 

Yeah that was a funny spot, there were quite a few. This may be a movie that is better on second watch

On 30/01/2017 at 0:35 PM, dbunting said:

They really did - although the marketing in general was lacklustre I think I only ever heard a radio trailer with generic "funniest film of the year" etc. I think i posted earlier that even with a trailer a lot of the humour isn't punchline trailer friendly.

I watched "hell or high water" yesterday and really enjoyed it. Classic western. I loved how the location permeated a sense of desperation (all those billboards and general sense of waste) that made you empathise with the "villains" not so much in a "this is acceptable" but in a "you can see why they are doing this". Chris Pine looked gaunt - like a man beat but stubbornly refusing. Nice to see him do something different (for me anyhow). Ben Foster was excellent and Jeff Bridges made me hope he and Tom Hardy never do a film together as it'll be a mumble off. Not sure if it's a case of a director and screenwriter not gelling or (based on most other opinions) me just not getting "sicario" but I was surprised how this film had the same screenwriter and "arrival" the same director and both were great, Whereas I found "sicario" underwhelming and a bit silly. Guess you really do need to check more than one film by a writer/director to have a feel for them.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

They really did - although the marketing in general was lacklustre I think I only ever heard a radio trailer with generic "funniest film of the year" etc. I think i posted earlier that even with a trailer a lot of the humour isn't punchline trailer friendly.

I watched "hell or high water" yesterday and really enjoyed it. Classic western. I loved how the location permeated a sense of desperation (all those billboards and general sense of waste) that made you empathise with the "villains" not so much in a "this is acceptable" but in a "you can see why they are doing this". Chris Pine looked gaunt - like a man beat but stubbornly refusing. Nice to see him do something different (for me anyhow). Ben Foster was excellent and Jeff Bridges made me hope he and Tom Hardy never do a film together as it'll be a mumble off. Not sure if it's a case of a director and screenwriter not gelling or (based on most other opinions) me just not getting "sicario" but I was surprised how this film had the same screenwriter and "arrival" the same director and both were great, Whereas I found "sicario" underwhelming and a bit silly. Guess you really do need to check more than one film by a writer/director to have a feel for them.

I hated Sicario. Saw it at a discount price and still felt robbed. It's one of the reasons why I have been loath to check out Arrival :) So, your comment is very promising. I might bump up Arrival on my list of priorities. At first I wasn't sure about Hell or High Water either based on the Sicario connection; but I'm glad that I gave that one a chance ;) 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I hated Sicario. Saw it at a discount price and still felt robbed. It's one of the reasons why I have been loath to check out Arrival :) So, your comment is very promising. I might bump up Arrival on my list of priorities. At first I wasn't sure about Hell or High Water either based on the Sicario connection; but I'm glad that I gave that one a chance ;) 

I'll give support to red snow, and tell you that I wasn't impressed with Sicario either, but I really liked Arrival.

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'll give support to red snow, and tell you that I wasn't impressed with Sicario either, but I really liked Arrival.

Add me to the Sicario non believer list. I had high hopes for it and it was not good. So, whoever did the Sicario trailers is the GOAT and whoever did the Nice Guys trailers needs to take lessons from that person.

Ah, so there are a few of us "sicario" haters out there :)

Neither "arrival" or "hell or high water" have the inherent silliness I felt underpinned my problem with "sicario". I certainly wouldn't watch either film because of their connection with "sicario".

34 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Add me to the Sicario non believer list. I had high hopes for it and it was not good. So, whoever did the Sicario trailers is the GOAT and whoever did the Nice Guys trailers needs to take lessons from that person.

A similar thing with one of the Suicide Squad trailers. It gets to a point where the people who can cut a great trailer from a shit film should maybe be hired to edit films in general?

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

Ah, so there are a few of us "sicario" haters out there :)

Neither "arrival" or "hell or high water" have the inherent silliness I felt underpinned my problem with "sicario". I certainly wouldn't watch either film because of their connection with "sicario".

A similar thing with one of the Suicide Squad trailers. It gets to a point where the people who can cut a great trailer from a shit film should maybe be hired to edit films in general?

No kidding. Right now I am scared of Logan. The trailer looks really good, but the X men movies have been shit for a while now so I am scared that the Sicario trailer guy did these trailers!

43 minutes ago, dbunting said:

No kidding. Right now I am scared of Logan. The trailer looks really good, but the X men movies have been shit for a while now so I am scared that the Sicario trailer guy did these trailers!

Nah, it was the Prometheus trailer guy. JK :P

55 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Nah, it was the Prometheus trailer guy. JK :P

I'd forgotten how good those trailers were - with the fale ads for the android fassbender, etc. It was almost like more thought went into the trailers than the actual film.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

the track record isn't good for Logan. That and it's the same director as "The wolverine". It probably won't be as bad as X-men: Apocalypse because not even the trailer experts could polish that turd.

Bah this is like the only place on the internet I've seen people dislike Sicario at. 

similar thing with one of the Suicide Squad trailers. It gets to a point where the people who can cut a great trailer from a shit film should maybe be hired to edit films in general

lol I can't even remember a Sicario trailer. To compare it to Suicide Squad is beyond a joke. Sicario is pretty much an unanimously critically praised movie while Suicide Squad is unanimously considered awful

Archived