Year in Movies: 2016 edition

Ramsay B.

These are all of the movies I saw last year in order from best to worst, more or less. Looking forward to other lists.

The best of the year:

• Hell or High Water
  • The Nice Guys
  • The Wailing
  • Rogue One
  • Deadpool
  • Kubo and the Two Strings
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Green Room
  • Moana
  • Zootopia
  • Arrival

2nd tier but still good:

• The Witch
  • Hacksaw Ridge
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane
  • The Invitation
  • Dr. Strange
  • The Jungle Book
  • Transpecos
  • Nocturnal Animals
  • The Autopsy of Jane Doe
  • Star Trek: Beyond

Mehh:

• Batman V Superman
  • The Neon Demon
  • X-Men Apocalypse 
  • Imperium
  • Suicide Squad
  • Independence Day

Alright..

Best of the year:

Arrival

The Accountant 

Hell or High Water

Deadpool ( spot on)

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse ( certainly not flawless, but some great sequences)

2nd tier but still decent;

Nocturnal Animals

The Jungle Book

Legend of Tarzan ( surprised by how much I enjoyed this, really quite good)

10 Cloverfield Lane ( not as great as it could have been, but still nice)

Zootopia ( fun film)

Suicide Squad ( not as bad as some here thought, but not great)

Batman vs Superman ( still has nice sequences even though it should have been so much better)

Meh:

Rogue One ( soulless film)

Star Trek Beyond ( similarly heartless)

Independence Day

Dr Strange ( totally not my thing)

Captain American Civil War ( just a big disappointment, dreadfully dull first hour)

I think I did ok this year watching movies, but there are a bunch of films around Oscar season that I definitely need to see. I have unfortunately had to watch a load of awful films. 2016 might be the year that broke me in terms of Comic Book movies. Not sure I can do many more.

Best of the Year:

The Witch - incredible horror, really catches you with its atmosphere.
Arrival - Sci fi done intelligently is a thing to behold. Liked it.. then the twist happened and I loved it.
The Nice Guys - Maybe my favourite movie of the year, a real throwback to when buddy comedies worked. Excellent chemistry
Midnight Special - Forgotten sci fi, but it deserves a lot more love.
Rogue One - Better than Force Awakens.
Civil War - Second best comic book movie.
Green Room - Hidden gem, very tense.
Hell or High Water - Didn't love it as much as some, but it was definitely a good movie.
Deadpool - Comic book movies CAN be fun.

Average

Zootopia - Yeah it was a good animated movie, but was it the clever commentary people suggest.. I don't think so.
Kubo and the Two Strings - Its good.. but by the end I realised its message wasn't actually all that powerful, so i dropped it to average.
13 Hours - Fun.
Warcraft - Wasn't awful, and I enjoyed the silliness.. I wish it was a bit sillier
Eddie the Eagle - Had a lot of potential to be a parody of underdog movies, it wasn't. But it had something.
London has Fallen - Lots of peoples worst movie of the year, its certainly bad, but i was never bored.
10 Cloverfield Lane - Maybe if it wasn't a cloverfield movie and the end didn't happen I'd like it a lot more.
Silence - More walk outs of this movie than any I've ever been in. But I found it an enjoyable slice of Japanese history.
The Accountant - A bit like John Wick with more maths.
Finding Dory - All the elements were there but there was no spark to drag it higher.
Girl on a Train - Thought I'd hate it but found myself slightly hooked.
Dr Strange - Marvels most Meh. Almost awful.

Flat out terrible

Suicide Squad - By far the worst movie I saw this year. I don't understand how this was released in the format it was.
Ghostbusters - Turd.
Star Trek Beyond - Nostalgia doesn't elevate this above what it is, which is a bad actioner that is totally uninvolving.
Gods of Egypt - hilariously poor
Batman Vs Superman - Bad and its not even funny.
Tarzan - Could have been decent but descended into something far far worse.
Xmen Apocalypse - Someone needs to stop the Xmen NOW.
Secret Life of Pets - Hoped it would be funny, just once. But it was VERY lazy.

The great (or surprisingly great)

Rogue One

Deadpool

Arrival

The good

Captain America: Civil War

The Jungle Book

The mediocre, but fun to watch

Star Trek Beyond

Doctor Strange

London Has Fallen

The Magnificent Seven

Kung-Fu Panda 3

The disappointments

Batman vs Superman

Suicide Squad

X-Men: Apocalypse

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

The dreadful and the turds

The Huntsman: Winter's War

Warcraft

Ghostbusters

Independence Day: Resurgence

The 5th wave – Teen drama, action set up for another movie waste of time, daughter wanted to see it

Deadpool – Best comic book movie for me since the original Iron Man and Avengers. Probably second favorite movie of the year

London has fallen – Popcorn action movie, not a bad way to spend two hours

Allegiant – See 5th Wave above.

Superman vs Batman – Disappointing, felt like it should have been better.

Civil War – Actually really liked this. Really liked Spidey in this one, reminded me of Spider Man cartoons growing up

X men – Just stop making these, please. I am not strong enough to resist seeing them even though I know it's going to be bad

Central Intelligence – Actually pretty funny

Independence Day – Garbage, absolute garbage

Purge – ehh…nothing special, but I didn’t see it thinking it would be so it met my very low expectations

Star Trek Beyond – Flat. Not sure how else to describe it. I really liked the original reboot Star Trek with these people but it has kept going downhill

Suicide Squad – Jumbled up mess. If they had half the characters and focused on them and the plot, maybe it would have been ok

War Dogs – ok dramedy. Nothing I plan to ever see again though

The Magnificent Seven – Pretty decent reboot IMO.

The Accountant – Liked this more than most people, would see a sequel for sure

Dr Strange – I waited weeks to see this, only went because I was bored. Not my thing.

Arrival - really good take on alien interaction, pleasantly surprised

Nocturnal Animals - Strange opening, decent story, open ending. Not bad but different from what I normally watch

Hell or Highwater – really liked this. Was just a stripped down movie set in Texas way better than I expected.

Rogue One – My favorite of the year easily.

Here are the movies I went to see in theaters:

The great:

Arrival

Hell or High Water

Deadpool

The Nice Guys 

The enjoyable:

10 Cloverfield Lane -

The Jungle Book

Captain America:Civil War

The Legend of Tarzan

Jason Bourne

The Accountant

Doctor Strange

Passengers

Rogue One

The disappointments:

Hail Caesar!

X-men Apocalypse

Warcraft

The bad:

Independence Day:Resurgence

Star Trek Beyond

The movies I've watched this year (silver screen) that I remember, there are probably more.

THE VERY BEST (9/10)

-Arrival: not a masterpiece but the atmosphere was great and everything was very "realistic" and thrilling

-Fantastic Beasts and where to find them: I love the movies set in the 20's and Harry Potter. I can't say anything more. Well, it's a good mixture of genres. 

-Nine lives: as a cat lover, I would have loved it even if it had been bad but this movie is just brilliant

QUITE GOOD (8/10)

-The Witch: the atmosphere was great 

-The legend of Tarzan: Adventures and romance. I didn't felt it to be long. A good way to revisit the story.

-Hail Caesar!: Hilarious

-The Revenant: the cinematography is incredible. The story could be better, though, but I felt it was not necessary, since simple stories sometimes can lead to a good movie

-Now you see me 2: I laughed a lot. It was worse than the first one, but I had liked that quite  a lot.

Didn't see much this year.

Arrival, Rogue One, and The Nice Guys were great.

Deadpool was solid.

X-Men Apocalypse, Captain America: Civil War, and Star Trek: Beyond were meh.

AVERAGE but ENTERTAINING: (6-7/10)

-The Force Awakens

-The boss

I EXPECTED MORE (although not  bad) (5-6/10)

-Batman vs Superman (The Batman part was nice, enjoyed the twist of the bad Superman and the other and also the cameos of the metahumans, but it was too long, no Smallville Easter Eggs like in the first Superman movie, Lex Luthor not bad but my reference was MR who is superb in Smallville)

-Suicide Squad: some things didn't make sense (possibly because of the editing)

-Star Trek 3: the first two were amazing and I loved them but this one was quite disappointing in comparison

-Brooklyn: I felt that nothing happened in the whole movie; for some reason I felt bad for the Irish people who had not had the same opportunities as the protagonist; but not a bad movie. 

-Allegiant: it started very well, but the ending was too contrived

BORING (5/10)

-Captain America: Civil War //My first CA movie, that is probably the reason I didn't enjoy it because I barely knew the characters involved. It was entertaining at least (some parts of it)

I have only seen 7 movies this year and 4 of them were superhero movies. I need to branch out more.

Arrival: 8/10 - might be a 9, but I watched it dubbed into German and need to see it in English.

Civil War: 8/10 - my favourite Marvel movie, which, considering how many came before it, is quite an achievement.

Rogue One: 7/10 - good fun, but lacking in character development. Vader was fucking great though.

Deadpool: 7/10 - I like this movie quite a lot, just don't love it. I don't think it holds up to repeat viewings.

Doctor Strange: 7/10 - standard Marvel fare, but with especially great effects.

Fantastic Beasts: 6/10 - it's fine. It has heart and good characters, but my god the pacing was an issue.

BvS: 3/10 - what a boring mess. The Batman warehouse scene is the only redeeming feature.

• Arrival – thought this was an excellent example of how to do an intelligent Science Fiction film that was compelling despite having virtually no action
  • Deadpool – I think the funniest film I saw this year
  • Rogue One – not flawless but unlike any prequel George Lucas directed it seemed that it fitted in well with the original trilogy
  • The Man Who Knew Infinity – good biopic, Dev Patel and Jeremy Irons both did good work
  • Captain America : Civil War – I think they were only partially successful in setting up the central conflict but it was consistently entertaining
  • Dr Strange – a fairly by-the-numbers origin story but the fantastical visuals did manage to make it stand out a bit from the superhero crowd
  • Star Trek : Beyond – nothing profound, and sometimes rather silly, but it was good fun
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – decent fantasy adventure, I like the setting but the ending was disappointing.
  • Jason Bourne – almost forgot about this which is probably saying something, felt like Bourne-by-numbers
  • The Accountant – felt like two films awkwardly squeezed together, not entirely successful but had some good bits
  • X-Men : Apocalypse – it did have some good scenes but gets stupider the more you think about it
  • Warcraft -  no fantasy cliché is left alone, it’s very cheesy but likeable
  • Hail, Cesar! – one of the Coen’s weaker efforts, had some good scenes but I’m not sure they added up to a film
  • Now You See Me 2 – reasonably fun but managed to be inferior to the first film in just about every respect
  • Suicide Squad – avoided the most annoying bits of BvS but still not great
  • Jack Reacher : Never Go Back – OK as a thriller but nothing particularly memorable about it
  • Batman vs Superman – I think there’s a good Batman film hiding in here but some of the other parts of the film were bafflingly bad

Looks like I should watch Hell or High Water and The Nice Guys at some point.

My biggest takeaway from this thread, more people need to see Hacksaw Ridge. You're missing out a bit not watching it on the big screen though. Those battle scenes were some of the most intense I've seen.

Glad HoHW is getting so much praise. It deserves it.

The Witch is overrated as hell, imo. Atmosphere is one thing, but the pacing of that movie is terrible. I was extremely bored during most of the middle act. It's not particularly scary either. And not being able to understand the majority of the father character's dialogue was really annoying. 

From Favorite to Least Favorite:

Green Room - Holy crap, what a great, tense little thriller. Patrick Stewart was a bit more subdued than I was hoping, but, otherwise, everything else about this was great.

The Witch - This move is not very scary. At all. But it has a very great sense of atmosphere and it's visually very great to just watch.

Captain America: Civil War - Not as good as Winter Soldier but still another solid entry into the Marvel Money Machine. Some of the plotting is a bit forced, but the characters and action are all paced perfectly, and the two-and-a-half hours just fly by.

The Nice Guys - Just a good, old fashioned buddy cop style film that gets by largely on the strength of its characters and the humor. Great writing, great acting, just all-around great. Watch it. You won't be disappointed.

Hell or High Water - A good, well-acted piece of cinema. I liked most everything about this even if I wasn't particularly blown away by it. Just an enjoyable film all around.

Neon Demon - This is a film that takes ages to get anywhere but it's still worth it somehow. Absolutely beautiful to watch even when completely WTF stuff is going on. Refn could make paint drying visually spellbinding.

Rogue One - A good movie made up of some great, fan servicey moments and largely brought down by weak acting and some underwritten and bland characters. Not perfect and it didn't leave as much of an impact as Force Awakens did when I first saw it, but I feel Rogue One might actually age a bit better over time.

Deadpool - A very funny and unique comic book film that I'm not sure I'll ever watch again.

Warcraft - Totally did not deserve the absolute critical thrashing it got, even if it isn't really a great film. It's hampered by some rushed plotting, inconsistent acting, and weak writing. Still, I ended up mostly enjoying it but that might only be because I used to be a huge Warcraft fiend.

Star Trek: Beyond - Alright, I guess. Better than Into Darkness but not really great or anything.

10 Cloverfield Lane - A fairly good thriller sorta ruined by the ending. Thematically useful, but still felt tacked on and too extended.

Batman V Superman - All over the place quality-wise. Some good parts, very few great parts, but just a lot of what the fuck were they thinking? Not the absolute dumpster fire the internet made it out to be, but not much better than that honestly.

1 hour ago, Durckad said:

Neon Demon - This is a film that takes ages to get anywhere but it's still worth it somehow. Absolutely beautiful to watch even when completely WTF stuff is going on. Refn could make paint drying visually spellbinding.

I love Refn and very much wanted to like it but it did nothing for me. It was empty and just flat out boring. I forced myself to finish it. Did look great though.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The Witch is overrated as hell, imo. Atmosphere is one thing, but the pacing of that movie is terrible. I was extremely bored during most of the middle act. It's not particularly scary either. And not being able to understand the majority of the father character's dialogue was really annoying. 

I did enjoy it a lot, but can definitely see why some people were just bored to tears with it. I remember seeing it at the movies and hearing a younger dude apologizing to his dad, or whoever, for taking him to "this crap". But I enjoy a slow burn and feel like there was a good payoff at the end. I rewatched it recently and did have the subtitles on just to hear what the father was saying. 

I also didn't see many movies this year and only 1 in theaters, a good few I don't think were released in theaters, they just came out on Netflix, but here goes anyway:

The Good:

1. Deadpool
  2. Captain America: Civil War
  3. Joy
  4. Premature
  5. Justice League Vs. Teen Titans
  6. Batman: Bad Blood
  7. Turbo Kid
  8. The Conjuring 2

The OK:

1. 10 Cloverfield Lane
  2. The Fundamentals of Caring
  3. Man Up
  4. Special Correspondents
  5. Elvis and Nixon
  6. Paradox
  7. Everybody Wants Some

The Ugly:

1. Hail, Caesar!
  2. The Do-Over
  3. Ghostbusters
  4. Batman V Superman

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I love Refn and very much wanted to like it but it did nothing for me. It was empty and just flat out boring. I forced myself to finish it. Did look great though.

I understand and completely respect this. I have no idea why I particularly liked Neon Demon, but I just did.

Only God Forgives, on the other hand, bored the living hell out of me.

Need to check out "Hell or high water" and "green room" based on these posts. I'll probably get around to "arrival" but not sure I can divorce it from the short story. No idea how I missed Hacksaw Ridge - it must have got minimal promotion in uk.

1)      Nocturnal animals - not sure if it is my favourite film but I really liked how the story within a story was the subtext for the main story. That and the sese of horror/helplessness from the car scene.

2)      Nice guys - this might be one of the funniest films of last year

3)      Deadpool - but this is a close contender

Top 3 for great screenplays and execution. The rest are all decent films

4)      Kubo and the two strings - beautiful to behold and i liked how it was about the journey. A refreshing way of dealing with the villain too.

5)      The revenant

6)      Hateful Eight

7)      Rogue One: Star wars

8)      Cap Civil War. restored my faith somewhat after hating Avengers 2

9)      10 cloverfield lane - tense film

10)   Hunt for the Wildepeople - fun film with a lot of heart

11)   Dr Strange

12)   Hail Caesar - some excellent scenes (Ehrenreich's brilliant bad acting with Ralph Fiennes)  but also a lot of indulgent ones

13)   Spotlight - straightforward film about journalists being useful.

The accountant - does what "Bourne" failed to which was do something slightly different with the "hollywood actor beats the shit out of everyone" genre. The handwave is one of the funniest scenes in 2016.

14)   the good dinosaur

15)   Trumbo

16)   The Salvation (2015)

17)   My scientology movie - Louis theroux documentary

18)   Sausage party

19)   Justice League vs Teen Titans the best dc film of 2016

Below here were bad or severely disappointing.

20)   X-men Apocalypse - bland and non-sensical

21)   Batman v Superman - too serious and everyone seems to exist in a bubble.

22)   The inflitrator - marred by a lot of ridiculous elements (does an undercover agent really drive home every night to his family?)

23)   Jason Bourne - unimaginative retread

24)   captain fantastic - pretentious and more of a ricky gervais "cringe" comedy than a genuine one. only worked when admitting how screwed up the lifestyle was. Not a badly made film just not what I was expecting.

25)   Star Trek Beyond - by the numbers and back to feeling like an episode of tv.

26)   Batman Bad Blood.

27)   Batman killing joke. first half not faithful, second half two faithful. Neither mix well

28)   Suicide Squad

29)   Zoolander 2 - there's no good reason why this was made other than to cas in

30)   look who's back - joke wears thin pretty quickly and seems more ad lib than Borat etc. Preferred the book which was also wearing a bit thin too.

I'd have had Revenant or Hateful 8 on my list but they were technically 2015 films. (Damn you, limited December releases!) So I stuck to just films released in 2016. I did include a list of all the 2016 films I actually did see for reference/context at the bottom though. I watch a lot of movies, BTW.

10. Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them

Spoiler

Despite its convoluted plot flaws, I was really surprised by how much I liked this film. It’s got a great setting and I love how JK Rowling took her familiar wizarding world and gave it a new spin. I also love IMAX 3D and this film really took advantage of the format.

09. Dr. Strange

Spoiler

Speaking of IMAX 3D, this film was the best experience I had all year in the format. Cumberbatch was inspired casting and I love how Marvel embraced the supernatural full on in this film.

08. The Nice Guys

Spoiler

It’s a revival of the action/buddy comedy and it’s better than most of the Lethal Weapon sequels combined. Gosling is getting all the awards for LA LA Land, but I think this is his best film of the year. Russell Crowe also brings the goods as does the young actress who plays Gosling’s kid.

07. Captain Fantastic

Spoiler

As an educator, I wanted to see this film because the trailer made it seem to be about the most extreme homeschooled family ever. But I was surprised to find this flawed yet beautiful film is also about mental illness, death & mourning, and what it means to be a family. Speaking of which, the kids in this cast stole the show.

06. Finding Dory

Spoiler

Speaking of mental illness, Pixar/Disney was a few feet away from giving the world their first film to deal with mental disability in a real way. But in the end it was more Disney than Pixar. High marks though for the effort and humor in this film. And Hank the septopus.   

05. The Witch: A New England Folktale

Spoiler

As a general rule I’m not a fan of horror films, but this one is not a cookie-cutter horror film. The performances were great and the cinematography was minimalist yet captivating. This film stayed with me long after it was over.

04. Arrival

Spoiler

A sci-fi suspense film about aliens and the power of language? Yes, please! I would say this is probably the most overlooked film of 2016. Hopefully it gets some more recognition as the awards season chugs along.

03. Zootopia

Spoiler

This one was a real surprise. It’s an action/comedy/family film that’s not a sequel or a reboot and has just an outstandingly well delivered message about tolerance and individuality. Even if you don’t dig animated films, you should see this one. If I wasn’t such a hardcore geek, I’d probably put this at #1 on my list, but I am so I didn’t.

02. Deadpool

The best superhero movie of the year and it came from Fox. That has to make WB/DC & Disney/Marvel hang their heads in shame. As a certified geek the best compliment I can give a superhero film is this: it exceeded or met all expectations. This also had to be the best audience experience I had in a theater all year, which says a lot considering the #1 film on my list…

01. Rogue One

Spoiler

Was it the best written film of the year? No. Did it have the best performances? No. Was it better than Episodes IV-VI? No. Was it basically Episode 3.5? Yes. Was it what I hoped the prequels would have been like? Yes. Were the cameos worth the price of admission alone? Hell yes! Was this film “fan service”? Yaass! And I loved it. Despite its flaws, it was still Star Wars. It’s the only film I saw multiple times in the theater. And it’s the only film to have X-Wing space battles, OG Storm Troopers, and Darth Vader being a total badass. So it’s the only choice for #1 on my list of films in 2016.

[14 films] Honorable Mentions: Batman v Superman, Capt. America: Civil War, LALA LAND, Hail, Caesar!, The Jungle Book, X-Men Apocalypse, Central Intelligence, Star Trek: Beyond, Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates, Kubo & the Two Strings, Lo & Behold: Reveries of the Connected World, The Accountant, Hacksaw Ridge, & Passengers

[36 films] All the other films from 2016 that I saw:

Spoiler

13 Hours, The Finest Hours, The Mermaid, How to be Single, Grimsby, Zoolander 2, Eddie the Eagle, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Bronze, The Boss, The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Keanu, The Angry Birds Movie, Money Monster, Now You See Me 2, Conjuring 2, Warcraft, Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, Independence Day: Resurgence, Purge: Election Year, The Legend of Tarzan, Secret Life of Pets, The Infiltrator, Ghostbusters, Café Society, Batman: The Killing Joke, Bad Moms, Neighbors 2, Suicide Squad, Sausage Party, War Dogs, Sully, The Magnificent 7, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back.

Due to circumstances, I'm not as caught up with everything that came out in 2016 moviewise. I'll rank the ones I have seen and list those that I still want to see :) 

For various reasons, the first six were the hardest to rank I'd have to say :) 

1) Hell or High Water. I loved how atmospheric this film. I felt like it somehow showed me a glimpse of the soul of eastern Texas. The acting was great, the screenplay brilliant and it just gave me the feels really. Definitely one of the films everyone should have seen this year. 

2) La Tortue Rouge. It's the first and hitherto only film Studio Ghibli has ever done with an outsider, so that should tell you everything you need to know. The director, Michael Dudok de Wit, made a stunningly beautiful piece of animation. It's very quiet and unintrusive, but it sticks with you. 

3) The Nice Guys. I'm truly sad that this film underperformed at the box-office. Russel Crowe, Ryan Gosling and Angourie Rice were so damn great in this. The film was funny, fastpaced and exciting. If the world was a just place, we would get a franchise out of this. I could definitely see myself watching other films with those three people. Alas, it doesn't seem likely. 

4) Frantz. François Ozon is a pretty uneven filmmaker, but when he gets it right he scores. This was a very dignified film, mostly thanks to a great performance by Paula Beer (truly a revelation). 

5) Deadpool. A superhero film I did not just like, but I could also see myself watching this again ( a very rare occurence). This was just a great time at the movies with my mates. We all laughed our asses off. The only thing I can say is that I really look forward to the sequel. 

6) Zootopia. A particularly beautiful piece of disney animation and that's hard for me to say, because I usually strongly prefer more traditionally drawn animation (I know it's all done by computers nowadays, but you know what I mean)  to this style. The film had great characters, a lovely message and it's the kind of film that deserves a pretty good place in the disney canon.

7) Love & Friendship. This is a delightful little film. Nothing more needs to be set of it, only that it was nice to see Kate Beckinsale in a good role for once. It was also a pretty funny film, mostly thanks to Tom Bennett. He made me laugh quite a bit.

8) Gods of Egypt. Objectively this is the worst film on my list. Everything from the acting to the special effects is awful and yet I rate it above a lot of others because it was damn enjoyable. I can really appreciate a funny bad movie and this one is a very proud addition to the genre. 

9) The Neon Demon. I'm a huge admirer of Winding Refn. I think he's made some truly great films (Pusher II, Valhalla Rising, Drive and Only God Forgives), but with this one he's just not playing in the same league. I think Refn is at the point in his career where he needs someone to step in and say 'isn't this a bit much?' or 'perhaps this screenplay needs some more work.' It's not as bad as George Lucas right before the prequels, but he's slowly getting there. Overall I'd say I still liked it, but it could have been a lot beter.

10) Captain America: Civil War. Just your average, forgettable superhero film. None of it made any sense, even by Marvel's very low standards. Spiderman was rather nice though, which was a pleasant surprise since I can't really stand the character. 

11) The Young Hyacint. This was a terrible, stinking piece of feces. It's only a tv-film, but I'm including it because I wanted another opportunity to bash this illguided endeavour. As a big fan of Keeping up Appearances, I just hated it from start to finish. Such a shame really, because the BBC is able to create really good tv-films. In 2014, that blessed year for film, they had A Poet in New York, which was a really strong film. Sadly, The Young Hyacint does not reach those heights. 

Films I still want to see:

Moonlight
Manchester by the sea
Rogue One
The Handmaiden
The Witch: A New England Folktale
Nocturnal Animals
Silence
Arrival
The Birth of a Nation
Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them
Green Room