Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery

OtherFromAnotherMother

I drive an 03 Honda Civic Hybrid. It is on its second IMA battery. I bought the car with this second battery in it. The IMA light just came on, most likely indicating the battery is almost dead. I really don't want to have to pay for a new battery that is probably worth as much as the car is worth. So my question is, can the car still run with a dead IMA battery?

The research I've done is inconclusive. I've called three Honda dealerships. One said absolutely not, one said yes (without the hybrid functionality, of course), and one did not know. I've hadmixed results from researching online. Some people say yes, but you have to charge the 12v barttery at night?  Some say you have to take out the IMA battery as well. I just don't know. I'm looking for a good answer, hoping someone on here can help. Thanks!

I have zero experience with hybrids, so this is pure speculation. Without the battery you lose the electric motor. That leaves you with the internal combustion engine alone, which is a bit weak, so the car will be slow. Fuel economy probably won't be great either. The big question is: can you still start the engine? That would require a dedicated starter battery. Is the car equipped with one? 

2 hours ago, Loge said:

I have zero experience with hybrids, so this is pure speculation. Without the battery you lose the electric motor. That leaves you with the internal combustion engine alone, which is a bit weak, so the car will be slow. Fuel economy probably won't be great either. The big question is: can you still start the engine? That would require a dedicated starter battery. Is the car equipped with one? 

I'd be concerned with whether or not the 12v will charge okay without the IMA.  If trying to operate without the IMA I'd definitely disconnect anything from the alternator/ mechanical power that is dedicated to boosting the IMA, and would also be surprised if you could run any other electronics without issue.  If the IMA is cost-prohibitive, I'd look o some forums for a 'IMA delete' and follow the instructions exactly.  Probably not easy to make it from a hybrid to a gasser, but probably possible, especially if there's a beefier bolt-on alterbator available.  

Dealing with some electrical issues with an old diesel truck right now and all I can say is that low voltage kills expensive electrical components quickly without mercy, and with extreme prejudice.  So I'd be very careful about fucking with anything without going over this step by step with someone who has done it before.

Just had a look at Wikipedia:

An electric motor is sandwiched between the gasoline engine and the transmission, providing up to 13 horsepower. The motor also acts as a generator, to recharge the car's nickel-metal hydride battery located between the rear seat and the trunk, and as a starter motor.

Sounds like you are screwed without the IMA battery.

Archived