NFL Divisional Playoffs: 3 games and Brady

Lord Lyman

2 minutes ago, trickster said:

I'm telling y'all...Tony Romo would have won the game....

I know you are kidding but we will hear that from ppl all offseason. It's of course utter nonsense. When the Cowboys beat the Steelers, I said that Roethlisberger didn't lose, he ran out of time. Same applies here for Dak Prescott. After early struggles, the kid stepped up big time

Sigh...I'm mad but not too much. This team is CLOSE and they suddenly have a LARGE window of opportunity with a young QB who can duel Aaron Rodgers. Dallas has to find, draft or FA, a more consistent pass rush. They did all this this year despite their 2nd round pick being on IR. Jaylon Smith will be a real wild card next season. He was Top 5 draft talent before that ghastly injury. If he comes back next season, he could cure a lot of defensive ills, inclding a pass rush. There's no guarantee, though, because he had nerve damage in his knee. We'll see.

Props to the Great Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

4 minutes ago, Trebla said:

When you play prevent defense, the only thing you prevent is your side winning.

That was more Rodgers just making an incredible play. It was 3rd and 20 and you guys brought 3 and had a 4th as a spy, I believe. I would've at least had 4 on the line but Rodgers is just a beast. I wouldn't really blame it on prevent, but what do I know?

Yeah, Dallas really has nothing to be ashamed of and Prescott and Elliot are the real deal.  They just lost to an on-fire Rodgers and a Green Bay team that is hitting its stride at just the right time. 

We should have a really nice final four teams whoever wins between Pittsburgh and KC here.

10 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I know you are kidding but we will hear that from ppl all offseason. It's of course utter nonsense. When the Cowboys beat the Steelers, I said that Roethlisberger didn't lose, he ran out of time. Same applies here for Dak Prescott. After early struggles, the kid stepped up big time

Sigh...I'm mad but not too much. This team is CLOSE and they suddenly have a LARGE window of opportunity with a young QB who can duel Aaron Rodgers. Dallas has to find, draft or FA, a more consistent pass rush. They did all this this year despite their 2nd round pick being on IR. Jaylon Smith will be a real wild card next season. He was Top 5 draft talent before that ghastly injury. If he comes back next season, he could cure a lot of defensive ills, inclding a pass rush. There's no guarantee, though, because he had nerve damage in his knee. We'll see.

Agreed.  Another thing I wonder is how old is Bryant?  Will he be around for awhile yet with Dak and Zeke?

ETA: Ah, I see he's 28 so he should be around for a while yet.  So, those three on the field are formidable right now and will be even more so going forward.

7 minutes ago, Trebla said:

And the pass rush in this draft is legit. Even at the end of the first, there are quality prospects. 

Jaylon has been running 4.5's, so his knee does seem to be getting better. With how young the team is, they should be terrifying for the immediate future.

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I wonder how many heart attacks in Dallas and Green Bay this game has caused. Green Bay is scary, but how many of their better players are injured now?

Adams seemed to recover quickly as did Bakhtiari.  It seems like Morgan Burnett at safety is the question right now.  But the flip side is that Jordy Nelson might be able to play @ Atlanta and would certainly play if they make the SB.

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I wonder how many heart attacks in Dallas and Green Bay this game has caused. Green Bay is scary, but how many of their better players are injured now?

Many; somehow, it hasn't seemed to stop them from moving on (and not just against the lions, but quality teams, as this game demonstrates). I was just discussing with a fellow cheesehead after the game - how fucking scary would this team be if they had an actual secondary? It's pretty nuts that they're going to the conference championship on 8 wins in a row without a defense to speak of. 

17 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Falcons v Packers should be awesome.

Yeah and it's why I want to see Pittsburgh win. It'll set up the purest unleashing of offensive dominance in the final four. It'll be legendary QBs trying to outduel the most freakish offensive talent in the game the rest of the way. 

Kinda like what we just saw. 

37 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I know you are kidding but we will hear that from ppl all offseason. It's of course utter nonsense. When the Cowboys beat the Steelers, I said that Roethlisberger didn't lose, he ran out of time. Same applies here for Dak Prescott. After early struggles, the kid stepped up big time. .

I WAS kidding. Dak played really well. You guys are well positioned to contend for the foreseeable future. Just to make sure that there are no distractions, Cowboys should just release Romo. This will also be a nice gesture so that he can pick his team (may be Denver).

Also I keep going back to that throw...It was some catch but Rodgers is probably the only guy that could have made that throw. May be Elway had the arm strength and the athleticism. Many of the great ones (Brady/Manning/Montana) did not have the physical tools to make that throw.

Also this game seems to be getting exciting. 

11 minutes ago, trickster said:

Also I keep going back to that throw...It was some catch but Rodgers is probably the only guy that could have made that throw. May be Elway had the arm strength and the athleticism. Noe of the great ones (Brady/Manning/Montana) had the physical tools to make that throw.

Agreed. I'd argue athletically Rodgers is the most perfect QB to ever play the game. His combination of arm strength, quick release, accuracy and mobility is unmatched. Vick was a better pure athlete but his athleticism was nowhere near as functional to the QB position as Rodgers'. He never harnessed his arm talent like Rodgers has. 

Elway was considered, physically, the QB prototype for generations. Kinda what Luck is today. But neither had/has the effortlessness to their games that Rodgers has. It's not just that he can make every possible play you need a QB to make, it's that he makes it look easy. 

It seemed like he peaked around 2011 but in terms of the additional football intelligence he's picked up since then, he might be better now. I think he's throwing his WRs open on a level he never had to do before. 

12 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Elway was considered, physically, the QB prototype for generations. Kinda what Luck is today. But neither had/has the effortlessness to their games that Rodgers has. It's not just that he can make every possible play you need a QB to make, it's that he makes it look easy. 

I would also add that he does it fairly routinely.  He has throws/plays on a regular basis that would be the play of the year for lesser QB's.  

Archived