NFL Divisional Playoffs: 3 games and Brady

Lord Lyman

47 minutes ago, Triskan said:

All sarcasm aside and being a huge Rodgers homer I am happy how it all turned out but by that I also mean that I'm happy that things have turned out pretty solid for Alex Smith.  I think there's no doubt Rodgers was better, but Smith was a ton of fun to watch in college, was thrown to the wolves in a really shit situation for SF when he was drafted, stuck with it, and has been a fine QB for KC for a few years now.  And all of that while, contrary to Rodgers, being quite limited with his arm talent.  It's really a testament to his intangibles.  Hell, it's hard to think of a QB as successful as Smith with as limited arm talent.  

ETA:  And then Alex Smith goes deep as much as Alex Smith ever does as if to spite me and Kelce drops it.  

To be fair, his arm was a lot better before all the shoulder damage. Not in Rogers' class, but much much better than it is now. Used to throw a nice deep ball.

Edit: and in terms of 'perfect quarterback' physically, I again raise Steve Young. It's unreal how quickly he's been forgotten. Because it was abreviated by USFL/Montana/concussions he drops slightly in the all time ranks, but pound for pound, adjusted for era, he might have had the greatest extended prime ever, and physically there wasn't anything he couldn't do.

Yeah, just run backwards after fielding the kick. Brilliant thinking... Idk who the fuck that even is who caught it. That's one of the most aggravating things I see watching football. I get wanting to avoid and get more yards but it seems like it typically ends in losing yards opposed to getting more.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Soooo it looks like were down to 4 elite QB's to battle for the SB.

Roethelsberger

Rodgers

Brady

Ryan

Well, two pretty good games today.  I'm kind of disappointed in Kelce, though.  After the year he's had he didn't seem to rise to the occasion today.

And you're right.  The QB match-ups next week look pretty solid.

Such an exciting round next weekend.  I felt kind of badly for KC being disrespected coming into today with the year they've had, but let's face it, Pittsburgh was the sexier team with the better chance of beating the Pats and going all the way.  And Green Bay feels like a much higher seed with the way they and Rodgers are playing.  And Atlanta might have had the most impressive game of all this weekend.  

Can't wait.  

So, sort of feel like this one played out how we thought- hard game, really tough on both ends by both teams, but the Steelers are just a tougher team and more talented overall.  KC played ...okay but they made big mistakes when it seemed to matter most (Kelke's Personal Foul; the negated 2-pt conversion).  Also, KC sort of proved why "Bend Don't Break" is "Good, Not Great."  When the Steelers needed yardage, they got yardage and that lead to points.  Even if the result was 6 FGs, that was enough (barely).  

Hats off to Haley for some ballsy calls at the end.  

(BTW: If I hear one more time how young Harrison is at his age, I'm going to have to ask that his "nutritionist" be investigated... problem is its probably the same nutritionist that Brady has ...) 

I went 3-1 this week which was fine, but I probably should have had GB v. Dallas.  

As far as the Pats v. Steelers... I would feel okay generally: Pats ALSO play "Bend Don't Break" D; the Pats defeated the Steelers earlier in the Season... (but no Big Ben); KC held Brown to ONE catch in the second half and I feel like the Pats can do that; and then there is the fact that I feel like if the Pats hold ANY team to 18 points, they should win.  Technically, the Pats D is better than KCs, but they are very similar and the Pats O is LIGHT YEARS better (technically... they sure didn't seem that way v. Houston).  Also, Pats at home is usually $$$$$$.

Also, Pittsburg's D has been playing better as the season has gone on; they held KC to 16 which is probably a tough assignment than holding Houston to 16.    

If the Pats can improve over last week, they should win; not easily but something like 27-17. 

But I don't like how they played against Houston; I also feel that the Pats are more banged up after this game than the Steelers (no evidence for this).  If the Pats cannot improve over last week; if the ring-rust is too great then they are gonna lose.  What's worse, the Pats are NOT a team that improves as the playoffs go along.  Teams like Manning's 2006 Colts did JUST THAT in the AFC Championship game after an anemic performance against the Ravens (where Manning threw 4 picks).  But the Pats?  I cannot think of a game in the playoffs where the Pats looked "meh" where they came out and looked light's out the next week.  The Pats usually play very even through the playoffs.  Sure, sometimes they play a tough game and have to do a lot to win by 3 or 4 points (Titans 2003; Ravens 2014), but by-in-large... the Pats are who they are... 

I think the Pats can buckle up and put 60 solid minutes together against the best opponent they have had all season; the Pats D can do a lot against both the run and the pass and Big Ben and Tomlin have gotten frustrated against the Pats in the past.  Ugghhhhh... hard game...

I think the Pats win... but I don't feel wonderful about this.  

Finally, a day of great playoff football.

Whew. In the playoffs, a win is a win. Not impressed with putting up 6 FGs on offense and faltering down close, but keeping Kelce and Hill under wraps was huge. I expected one of the two to have a big game, but somehow they took them both out of the game for the most part. I hate playing the Pats in the AFC Championship game because they've owned the Steelers there, but it's not at Heinz Field this time so hopefully it may be a different outcome at Gillette...at least a guy can hope...

Just now, sperry said:

No one wants to play Rodgers and Green Bay right now. They are the favorites going home, regular season be damned.

If the Packers play the Pats in the Superbowl (and that's still a big if), barring any significant injuries, the Pats would be favored.  That's for a variety of factors, not least of which is the betting homerism of the Pats faithful.  

This is not to say the Packers wouldn't beat the Pats (they are the scariest team in the NFL right now, no question); but the Packers D is still kind of suspect and Belichick has that tendency to minimize the good things good teams can do.  

I don't know; the Packers seem like that team of destiny and Rodgers seems like he should have more than 1 Superbowl Ring.  

21 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Finally, a day of great playoff football.

Agreed, with that part, at least.

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

No one wants to play Rodgers and Green Bay right now. They are the favorites going home, regular season be damned.

They're monsters on fire right now. I'll be rooting for them against Atlanta.

So, the Cowboys lost, the Seahawks lost, and the Giants lost.

2017 is looking up :P 

Of course if Pittsburgh comes in and wins the whole thing it'll blow.

Hoping for a Patriots/Packers Superbowl. Would LOVE that! I can root for both teams, be happy for whoever wins and not feel heartbroken for whichever team loses.

If it's GB/Pitt I'll be hoping for a good decisive win for the Packers, I really just don't want to see the Steelers making it that far, it'd be like Trump making it to the Repub nomination and that turned out FUBAR.

If it's Patriots/Falcons, for me at least...yawn...

Predictions:

Falcons over Packers - Rodgers has been magic in this playoffs. He's testing our preconceived notions about how much of a load a single player can carry in the ultimate team game. The level of difficulty of what he's doing is off the charts. But that's just it - offense is easy for the Falcons. They scored 100 more points than any other team in football this year. Matt Ryan can spread the ball around to all his weapons and put up a TD without breaking a sweat. Think it'll be like an NBA game where one team is getting easier shots all game. It's no guarantee they win - after all Rodgers is damn good at making those hard shots - but just don't think his defense will be able to help him out enough.

38-31 Falcons.

Patriots over Steelers - Really want to take the Steelers. Without Gronk I think the Patriots are the less talented team. Plus Le'Veon Bell is having a Terrell Davis like postseason and Antonio Brown is not coverable. But it's just the mojo Belichick and the Patriots have over the Steelers. And Big Ben has looked sloppy all year, especially on the road. I think he makes a couple big mistakes Brady doesn't.

27-24 Patriots. 

Michael Bennett keeping it classy as usual

Nothing worse than a temper tantrum by an adult. And it's even worse when he responds to the reporter "We lost the game! That's the NFL, you non-playing (expletive)! What you do with your life? What you do with your lifetime (expletive)? What injury you play through? What adversity you went through?" How about the reporter having a documented battle with Hodgkin's, asshole. Granted, Bennett more than likely doesn't know that, but his arrogance is hard to stomach here.

Archived