NFL Divisional Playoffs: 3 games and Brady

Lord Lyman

I feel almost like Green Bay doesn't bother with the other side of the ball.  Their corners are overwhelmed, they are not getting a great pass rush and they win.  Excuses be damned- Rodgers just does it all.  

Running game?  Why?  The Packers had a total of 87 yards on the ground and of those 12 were Rodgers' (GB had the second-lowest rushing total of any team this week - Steelers led with 171, Cowboys had 138 rushing yards, Houston 104, Seahawks 101, Falcons 99, Pats 98; only KC had fewer with 61).

Defense?  Dallas had 429 total yards; most of ANY team this weekend; Atlanta had 422, GB had 414, Pitt 389, Pats 377 and then everyone else had a lot less.     

Turnovers?  Who needs 'em?!  Of all the winning teams, GB forced the fewest turnovers - ONE!  Pitt forced 2, Atlanta 2, and the Pats forced 3.

Good coaching?!  Really?  At one point I thought I saw Mike McCarthy reach for the "Reset" button on his PS4.  (Okay, fine, I'm being cruel, but you get my point).  

Aaron Rodgers' numbers were: 28/43 for 356 yards and 2 TDs, 1 INT and a passer rating of 96.7.  Dak had a better game, but now when it mattered most.  Nobody can make that last throw except Rodgers.  Not Brady, not Rothlesberger, not Brees, not Manning I, Manning II, Post "neck surgery" Manning; the bionic cyborg melding of Brett Favre and Dan Marino.  Nobody.  And forget the fact that he never doubted he could make it.  He never doubted it for a second.  

Atlanta is going to have to score on nearly every drive; because to Araron Rodgers everything else doesn't matter.  

Oh, and Travis Kelce can such a bag of dicks.  

He BLATANTLY pushes the CB to draw a 15 yard penalty (that only through shear will didn't cost the Chiefs); he drops a pretty important pass before that and then he bitches and moans about the penalty on the two-point conversion.  And he's not shy about it (the big baby):

"Referee No. 51 shouldn't even be able to wear a zebra jersey ever again," Kelce said. "He shouldn't even be able to work at f---ing Foot Locker."

"For it to end like that, with the referee literally taking it out of our hands, that hurts," Kelce said. "You try to play this game with integrity, right up until the point I blatantly pushed another player after the whistle bloew, like the fucking punk thug that I am to the end of the whistle, and when the refs want to take over the game and make it their own platform, there's nothing you can do about it. ...That was horses---, flat out."

You fucking shit.  

Look... I can't absolutely say that I have not seen worse holds NOT called... but it looked an awful lot like a hold.  Harrison reacted like it was a hold.  It looked a lot like a hold.  And those SHOULD get called.

Now, let me ask people this: if Travis Kelche were African American- especially after his push on the CB - would the fallout against him be worse?  I'm not taking a position really; I just feel like givin that shitty push and then his bitching, I feel like he would be hearing it a lot more if he were black.  I could absolutely be wrong, so I want to get other people's opinion.  It Travis Kelche showing some white privileged here?  Or is it too early to tell? 

13 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Atlanta is going to have to score on nearly every drive; because to Araron Rodgers everything else doesn't matter.  

The way Green Bay was playing defense for the latter part of the game, Atlanta actually has a pretty decent chance of scoring on nearly every drive. The Falcons scored 36 against the Seahawks; I don't see why they can't put up 40+ against the Packers. Come to think of it, there aren't really any teams with bad or even mediocre offenses left. Of the winners, only Pittsburgh failed to score more than 30 points and that was mostly because Kansas City had one of the better defenses.

This is pretty funny: Antonio Brown apparently decided to share a video of the post-game Steelers locker room on Facebook.

“When you get to this point in the journey, not a lot needs to be said,” Tomlin says on the video. “Let’s say very little moving forward. Let’s start our preparations. We spotted those assholes a day and a half. They played yesterday, our game got moved to tonight. We gonna touch down at 4 o’clock in the fucking morning. So be it — we’ll be ready for their ass.”

Tom Curran of CSN New England noted that someone, probably a player, can be heard on the video following Tomlin’s speech cautioning players to be careful what they put out on social media this week.

"Keep cool on social media,” they said. “This is about us, nobody else."

Oops.

The Falcon's defense is not as bad as they might seem. And their offense is top tier. Couple that with a home game (the last in the Georgia Dome) and Aaron Rodgers finding himself at a Midtown bar with ladies who might not be ladies and I think we're in for a rout. Falcons 35- Packers 17. Rise the fuck up.

Well, the NFL finally delivered a couple of great games Sunday. My Cowboys looked like they were asleep to start the game and I thought the speed of the NFL finally caught up to the rookies, not so much. I know this may sound strange but that game and loss makes me feel even better about the Cowboys future under Prescott. The kid led a huge comeback, led a game tying drive with under a minute to go. Yeah, they lost because St. Aaron did it again, but that doesn't take away from the poise that Prescott showed.

I am going to sulk for a week or so, then start studying the draft to see who I hope Dallas picks. Right now I want Jake Butt in round 2 if still available and best available defensive player in round 1. I wanted Bosa over Elliot so what do I know.

"We'll be ready for their ass, unless the headphones go out, then I'm going to cry and whine and insinuate cheating without actually having the stones to make a direct accusation, and I'll send Joey Porter out to sucker-punch someone. Steeler pride!"

I'll say two things.

1. I see why the refs called it a hold even if I think Harrison was falling down himself. It certainly had the look of a hold.

2. I can literally find 5 examples of times when the Steelers OL has done the exact same thing or worse and it hasn't been called.

Point being, I can see why it was called but I have seen infinitely worse not being called and in such a situation, you better make sure it's the right call. It definitely feels like a call you see that goes for the Steelers a lot less then it goes against. That's just from personal experience watching Steelers games.

Dick.  That and the complaining about the head sets in 2015, even though the NFL- not the Pats - are the ones who handle the head sets.  Idiot.  

I will say that the Pats are at a sincere disadvantage without Gronk.  Last two match-ups against the Steelers 

2015: 5-94, 3TDs

2016: 4-93 1 TD

So, in two games that's 9 catches 187 yards and 4TDs off the board.  And Bennett looked slow on Saturday so he has to step up.  

I still think the Pats should win but its going to be a hard game.  

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

"We'll be ready for their ass, unless the headphones go out, then I'm going to cry and whine and insinuate cheating without actually having the stones to make a direct accusation, and I'll send Joey Porter out to sucker-punch someone. Steeler pride!"

Oh, and Jerry Porter!  I forgot about Porter and his "indefinite suspension" that lasted 4 days.  God, if this team were anywhere else but in Pittsburgh everyone would hate them.  They are Dallas with a worse climate.  All those titles, power and obnoxious owners and still they somehow avoid the constant rage of everyone.  Sure, that ONE season after Big Ben raped a drunk chick had a completely consensual relationship with a woman who was not black-out drunk in a bathroom, but other than that...

... I mean could you imagine if Belichick ran onto the field?

(Though, I will say, Belichick of all people defended Tomlin saying: 

“Yeah, I’ve been blown up a couple times,” he said. "There’s one play in particular where I was kind of watching the pass rush of the front and the ball was thrown. I didn’t really follow the ball that quickly and all the sudden the guy caught it and was right on top of me and ended up under the Gatorade bench."

“Obviously if you’re watching the ball, it shouldn’t be that big of a problem. But if you’re trying to watch something else… Obviously we have to give the officials and the players room to play. Sometimes that just happens where you get guys caught up a little bit on the sideline. But yeah, I saw the play last night. I was like, ‘Oh my God, yeah.’ That could easily happen to any of us. It’s a good lesson, I have to be careful.”)

26 minutes ago, Mexal said:

2. I can literally find 5 examples of times when the Steelers OL has done the exact same thing or worse and it hasn't been called.

Point being, I can see why it was called but I have seen infinitely worse not being called and in such a situation, you better make sure it's the right call. It definitely feels like a call you see that goes for the Steelers a lot less then it goes against. That's just from personal experience watching Steelers games.

An unbiased opinion, surely. God damn whine some more about the Steelers. Even when your sorry ass team isn't playing them you find a way to bring up your misery. You should write a book on this shit. I bet it would sell well in cincy.

As for the Antonio Brown video -- how embarrassing. That had to be one of the most self-centered piece of video I've ever come across. He eye fucks the camera for 20 minutes and pats his hair, raises his eyebrows, and makes some sort of phone motion with his hand. 'Look at me, look at me, look at me' is all that video says. The jabroni is so absorbed into himself he doesn't even realize that Tomlin is in the background bitching about how the Pats have more time to prepare. Sounds like the talk of a man whom already feels insecure about Belichik's coaching prowess. Already making excuses. You can hear Tomlin warning the team about social media at the same time that Sammy Coates is taking an aerial picture of himself making a duck face like a high school girl. Wtf is the matter with these guys? You want a look behind the curtain with this team? There you have it. A bunch of selfish dudes who cry for attention , and their fearless leader complaining about scheduling. Absolutely embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

An unbiased opinion, surely. God damn whine some more about the Steelers. Even when your sorry ass team isn't playing them you find a way to bring up your misery. You should write a book on this shit. I bet it would sell well in cincy.

Oh fuck off. It's a true statement and you know it. I didn't mention the Bengals, I talked about the Steelers. You're the one who always has to bring every opinion I have and relate it to the Bengals, the sorry state of our team, the fact that we can't win a playoff game and every other fucking insult you can make against the team. You act like I don't know any of this or I don't watch my team fail repeatedly. For once, address the issue or shut the fuck up.

Just now, sperry said:

This is definitely the most exciting round of conference championship matchups I can remember in a while.

This is definitely the most exciting round of boarder-on-boarder arguing I can remember in a while.  

Just now, Mexal said:

Oh fuck off. It's a true statement and you know it. I didn't mention the Bengals, I talked about the Steelers. You're the one who always has to bring every opinion I have and relate it to the Bengals, the sorry state of our team, the fact that we can't win a playoff game and every other fucking insult you can make against the team. For once, address the issue or shut the fuck up.

Did you not say that you could find 5 times when Steelers OL has done the same thing and gotten away with it? How is that relevant to the play last night? What does our O line have to do with KC OL holding Harrison? Sounds like sour grapes and a way for you to implement your misery/hatred into the thread.

4 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Did you not say that you could find 5 times when Steelers OL has done the same thing and gotten away with it? How is that relevant to the play last night? What does our O line have to do with KC OL holding Harrison? Sounds like sour grapes and a way for you to implement your misery/hatred into the thread.

The fact that the holding call was questionable (especially in a crucial spot) and calls tend to go the Steelers way in situations like that. That was very clearly my point, not to bitch about the Steelers being better than the Bengals. 

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Well, the NFL finally delivered a couple of great games Sunday. My Cowboys looked like they were asleep to start the game and I thought the speed of the NFL finally caught up to the rookies, not so much. I know this may sound strange but that game and loss makes me feel even better about the Cowboys future under Prescott. The kid led a huge comeback, led a game tying drive with under a minute to go. Yeah, they lost because St. Aaron did it again, but that doesn't take away from the poise that Prescott showed.

I am going to sulk for a week or so, then start studying the draft to see who I hope Dallas picks. Right now I want Jake Butt in round 2 if still available and best available defensive player in round 1. I wanted Bosa over Elliot so what do I know.

The best part for me was apart from the interception (which even Rodgers had one), the other 2 failed drives were not remotely on Prescott. Butler's dumbass penalty and Williams' right-in-the-chest drop killed the team on offense.  With no pass rush, that was all it took.  Thank God it's a great draft year for pass rushers. Linebackers are already solid (and could be elite if Smith is as advertised next year), and the Secondary is just short of elite when healthy.  If they get a functional pass rush, watch out.  

23 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The fact that the holding call was questionable (especially in a crucial spot) and calls tend to go the Steelers way in situations like that. That was very clearly my point, not to bitch about the Steelers being better than the Bengals. 

Do you have the official numbers on that or just your unquestionable memory?

Archived