NFL Divisional Playoffs: 3 games and Brady

Lord Lyman

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

"We'll be ready for their ass, unless the headphones go out, then I'm going to cry and whine and insinuate cheating without actually having the stones to make a direct accusation, and I'll send Joey Porter out to sucker-punch someone. Steeler pride!"

Can we please avoid intentionally inflammatory posts like this for the upcoming game. I know for a fact you do not appreciate it when I post similar things. I don't think you had any intention of directing this post at me or as a ploy to draw me out in confrontation, but lesser posts have started greater shitstorms between us in this thread. 

17 minutes ago, Rhom said:

:bang: 

I think I prefer Shanahan anyways, mostly because I think McD and Jimmy Grapes might be a package deal, and I don't think he's worth the asking price. But, yeah...if Irsay or whoever suddenly jumps in for Shanahan, we're back to our usual fuck-fest.

42 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Oh, and Jerry Porter!  I forgot about Porter and his "indefinite suspension" that lasted 4 days.  God, if this team were anywhere else but in Pittsburgh everyone would hate them.  They are Dallas with a worse climate.  All those titles, power and obnoxious owners and still they somehow avoid the constant rage of everyone.  Sure, that ONE season after Big Ben raped a drunk chick had a completely consensual relationship with a woman who was not black-out drunk in a bathroom, but other than that...

... I mean could you imagine if Belichick ran onto the field?

(Though, I will say, Belichick of all people defended Tomlin saying: 

“Yeah, I’ve been blown up a couple times,” he said. "There’s one play in particular where I was kind of watching the pass rush of the front and the ball was thrown. I didn’t really follow the ball that quickly and all the sudden the guy caught it and was right on top of me and ended up under the Gatorade bench."

“Obviously if you’re watching the ball, it shouldn’t be that big of a problem. But if you’re trying to watch something else… Obviously we have to give the officials and the players room to play. Sometimes that just happens where you get guys caught up a little bit on the sideline. But yeah, I saw the play last night. I was like, ‘Oh my God, yeah.’ That could easily happen to any of us. It’s a good lesson, I have to be careful.”)

I would argue the Rooneys are some of the least obnoxious owners in the league. I mean Dan Rooney was Ambassador to Ireland under Pres. Obama for goodness sakes. 

4 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I think I prefer Shanahan anyways, mostly because I think McD and Jimmy Grapes might be a package deal, and I don't think he's worth the asking price. But, yeah...if Irsay or whoever suddenly jumps in for Shanahan, we're back to our usual fuck-fest.

I had my reservations about McD and I'm certainly not sold on Handsome Jim as a QB; but anytime you get turned down by the guy that was reportedly your number one choice, its a bad look.

I do hope its more the second tweet above where the Niners are narrowing in on Shanny the Younger and McD publicly pulled out to save face.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Why anyone would consider Josh McDaniels for a head job is beyond me. Some folks don't have temperament for a leadership role.

When the alternative is serial abuser Tom Cable... he looks pretty damn good.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Why anyone would consider Josh McDaniels for a head job is beyond me. Some folks don't have temperament for a leadership role.

He's an excellent football mind, who really knows how to gameplan around other team's weaknesses. Yeah, he can be a dick and his players hated him his first go around, but those are both true of his mentor and the Hoodie didn't even have the excuse of being 33 or w/e.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Thing is, people would've said the same thing about Belichick after his first HC job with the Browns. Based on merit, McDaniels has earned another chance at a head job. Though, yes, he needs to prove to whomever he interviews with that he's grown from being the pocket Napoleon he was in Denver. 

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I had my reservations about McD and I'm certainly not sold on Handsome Jim as a QB; but anytime you get turned down by the guy that was reportedly your number one choice, its a bad look.

I do hope its more the second tweet above where the Niners are narrowing in on Shanny the Younger and McD publicly pulled out to save face.

I agree. And since we screwed the pooch with Harbaugh, we've had more than our share of guys preferring lower positions elsewhere to promotions with us, which is about as bad a look as you can get. So, if after all the feel-good vibes we're back there again, oh the humanity.

16 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

The best part for me was apart from the interception (which even Rodgers had one), the other 2 failed drives were not remotely on Prescott. Butler's dumbass penalty and Williams' right-in-the-chest drop killed the team on offense.  With no pass rush, that was all it took.  Thank God it's a great draft year for pass rushers. Linebackers are already solid (and could be elite if Smith is as advertised next year), and the Secondary is just short of elite when healthy.  If they get a functional pass rush, watch out.  

My thoughts exactly. Going into this season I thought it was 5 wins maybe and what do we do about Romo going forward. Instead I see a very strong nucleus of talent on both sides of the ball. If Jaylon Smith can be 90% of what he was, we are in great shape. Of course all this hinges on Prescott NOT being Kaepernick. He came in and looked like next level amazing and went down hill from there.  

I figure Dallas will lose more games next season, have a tougher schedule playing AFC West, but will actually be a tougher team. For once in a long time I am actually feeling positive about the team. Dare I say, I finally feel like Jones has learned his lesson and will stay out of personnel decisions?

2 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I would argue the Rooney's are some of the least obnoxious owners in the league. I mean Dan Rooney was Ambassador to Ireland under Pres. Obama for goodness sakes. 

Pfft... thanks Obama .... 

Okay, fair point.  Rooney is fine.  But he is a powerful owner and he has the ability to influence the league a great deal.

Also, it would appear that Deadspin shares my theory on Travis Kelce

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Why anyone would consider Josh McDaniels Bill Belichick for a head job is beyond me. Some folks don't have temperament for a leadership role.

Why anyone would consider Josh McDaniels Pete Carroll for a head job is beyond me. Some folks don't have temperament for a leadership role.

I'm not picking on you, but I will say that I thought the same thing initially, but then I sort of thought about coaching history.  Much like Belichick and Carroll, McDaniels was a very successful coordinator in a very well-known system who then became a head coach at a very young age,  And failed miserably.  And with McDaniels it was worse- he had an honest-to-God scandal (Spygate II).  Like Belichick, McDaniels returned to his prior "master (Parcells/Belichick)" and then had continued success.  

I don't know if McDaniels will be a good fit as a head coach, but he's no worse than anyone else out there.

I also don't know if McDaniels is withdrawing because he won't get the job and does not want to linger OR if he does not like the job.  Recently a list of "possible new head coaches" was generated by the League and McDaniels name was not on it and the league stated that McDaniels was not a likely candidate because he was in-line to get the Pats job when it was available.  

I will say this: if the new 49'ers Head Coach does NOT have GM-powers, that COULD be a tell-tale sign that McDaniels didn't want the job.  Belichick INSISTED that when he came to NE that he gets the GM powers to make his HC life easier (with obvious success).  I would not be surprised if Belichick said to McDaniels that he would need to be both HC and GM and that if he was not promised that, then he should walk.  But I'm speculating.  

3 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

I will say this: if the new 49'ers Head Coach does NOT have GM-powers, that COULD be a tell-tale sign that McDaniels didn't want the job.  Belichick INSISTED that when he came to NE that he gets the GM powers to make his HC life easier (with obvious success).  I would not be surprised if Belichick said to McDaniels that he would need to be both HC and GM and that if he was not promised that, then he should walk.  But I'm speculating.  

The general assumption is that the HC is essentially going to pick the GM to a certain extent.  Feels backwards, but someone pointed out that's essentially what Carroll did in Seattle.  :dunno: 

5 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Pfft... thanks Obama .... 

Okay, fair point.  Rooney is fine.  But he is a powerful owner and he has the ability to influence the league a great deal.

Also, it would appear that Deadspin shares my theory on Travis Kelce

Why anyone would consider Josh McDaniels Bill Belichick for a head job is beyond me. Some folks don't have temperament for a leadership role.

Why anyone would consider Josh McDaniels Pete Carroll for a head job is beyond me. Some folks don't have temperament for a leadership role.

I'm not picking on you, but I will say that I thought the same thing initially, but then I sort of thought about coaching history.  Much like Belichick and Carroll, McDaniels was a very successful coordinator in a very well-known system who then became a head coach at a very young age,  And failed miserably.  And with McDaniels it was worse- he had an honest-to-God scandal (Spygate II).  Like Belichick, McDaniels returned to his prior "master (Parcells/Belichick)" and then had continued success.  

I don't know if McDaniels will be a good fit as a head coach, but he's no worse than anyone else out there.

I also don't know if McDaniels is withdrawing because he won't get the job and does not want to linger OR if he does not like the job.  Recently a list of "possible new head coaches" was generated by the League and McDaniels name was not on it and the league stated that McDaniels was not a likely candidate because he was in-line to get the Pats job when it was available.  

According to a few sources, he'd reportedly been very favourable to the Niners situation up until now. So, those could be wrong, or something happened to change his mind.

Don't think the Niners are offering full GM powers to the HC exactly, but word is that their prioritizing fits, and to a degree the HC might get a lot of say on choosing the GM. The problem with that is, if we're waiting for Shanahan and/or McD to be free before even hiring our GM, we might be sitting on our thumbs for a few weeks now.

6 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Could be but that was where McDaniels fucked up the most in Denver. He took over a team that had one of the best offenses in football the year before (and only missed the playoffs because the defense was terrible) and promptly got rid of all the skill positions who made it so good in favor of first his preferred Matt Cassel, then Kyle Orton, then Tim Tebow. Also drafted Knowshon Moreno 12th overall. And yes DeMaryius Thomas...but still that doesn't undo all the fail. If I was an owner, I'd be highly leery of turning over personnel to McDaniels after that example. 

Though if that's why Jed York rejected him, it's amusing he put his foot down here after letting Trent Baalke fail miserably for 5+ years as the 49ers eroded from the most talented team in the league to the least. 

5 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

According to a few sources, he'd reportedly been very favourable to the Niners situation up until now. So, those could be wrong, or something happened to change his mind.

Don't think the Niners are offering full GM powers to the HC exactly, but word is that their prioritizing fits, and to a degree the HC might get a lot of say on choosing the GM. The problem with that is, if we're waiting for Shanahan and/or McD to be free before even hiring our GM, we might be sitting on our thumbs for a few weeks now.

Considering this is a multi-year rebuild job; I'm totally cool with waiting for the Super Bowl to be over if we need to.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Considering this is a multi-year rebuild job; I'm totally cool with waiting for the Super Bowl to be over if we need to.

Yeah, it's just a serious issue with regards to putting a staff together, which is a pretty significant early step w/r to a rebuild. Unless we're just gonna poach off of playoff teams.

Just now, James Arryn said:

Yeah, it's just a serious issue with regards to putting a staff together, which is a pretty significant early step w/r to a rebuild. Unless we're just gonna poach off of playoff teams.

Presumably, a guy like Shanny the Younger or McD would have been reaching out under the table and working their network all along though.

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Presumably, a guy like Shanny the Younger or McD would have been reaching out under the table and working their network all along though.

Yeah, iffy. But let's hope.

My top choice is still there, so I ought to be glad. And the GM choices...Wolf looks very good, Riddick is interesting, but I don't know too much about McDonough. Do you have any thoughts on him?

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I'll say two things.

1. I see why the refs called it a hold even if I think Harrison was falling down himself. It certainly had the look of a hold.

2. I can literally find 5 examples of times when the Steelers OL has done the exact same thing or worse and it hasn't been called.

Point being, I can see why it was called but I have seen infinitely worse not being called and in such a situation, you better make sure it's the right call. It definitely feels like a call you see that goes for the Steelers a lot less then it goes against. That's just from personal experience watching Steelers games.

Are we talking about the hold call on the 2 pt conversion? That was a blatant hold and it happened right in front of a ref. There's no way they could've missed it. 

Archived