NFL Divisional Playoffs: 3 games and Brady

Lord Lyman

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

Yeah, iffy. But let's hope.

My top choice is still there, so I ought to be glad. And the GM choices...Wolf looks very good, Riddick is interesting, but I don't know too much about McDonough. Do you have any thoughts on him?

I didn't know much about McDonough until he kind of popped up as a last minute interview.  Generally I like what Arizona has put together and I think I heard he had a lot of input in the college scouting department.

I like Riddick. I know a lot in the fanbase push back on him, but I like him.  Feel like he was sort of hitched to McD though.

I think Wolf is my preferred favorite.  Have not heard how he would fit with Shanahan though. I read somewhere that Paton from the Vikes or McDonough have been mentioned with him.

Now that the Chiefs are out and can't block any interviews, I'd like to hear that we interview Ballard.  I think he would have been my favorite from the get go.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Are we talking about the hold call on the 2 pt conversion? That was a blatant hold and it happened right in front of a ref. There's no way they could've missed it. 

Nah. Watch Harrison's foot. He doesn't have it planted. He ends up planting on his ankle trying to turn the corner. That's why he fell. 

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I didn't know much about McDonough until he kind of popped up as a last minute interview.  Generally I like what Arizona has put together and I think I heard he had a lot of input in the college scouting department.

I like Riddick. I know a lot in the fanbase push back on him, but I like him.  Feel like he was sort of hitched to McD though.

I think Wolf is my preferred favorite.  Have not heard how he would fit with Shanahan though. I read somewhere that Paton from the Vikes or McDonough have been mentioned with him.

Now that the Chiefs are out and can't block any interviews, I'd like to hear that we interview Ballard.  I think he would have been my favorite from the get go.

I think Ballard was out top choice, too. 

Don't think Carroll or Belichick are good comps to McD at all. McD has been fired from both of his non-Belichick jobs in basically the minimum time possible, not because of performance, but because he is an incurable douche bag that is impossible to work with.

12 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Nah. Watch Harrison's foot. He doesn't have it planted. He ends up planting on his ankle trying to turn the corner. That's why he fell. 

I know my opinion might be considered less than objective but that's a hold regardless of Harrison falling to the ground or not. I wouldn't argue the idea that him falling was what caused the flag to be thrown though. I've watched Harrison play his entire career not getting calls like that, so it was nice to finally see one called his way. 

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I wish I could find a You Tube replay or something. It looked pretty damn blatant to me upon first look. I also thought it was a smart hold, as the play took awhile to develop, and it looked like Harrison was going to get to Smith. Better the hold there than the sack.

44 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Recently a list of "possible new head coaches" was generated by the League and McDaniels name was not on it and the league stated that McDaniels was not a likely candidate because he was in-line to get the Pats job when it was available.  

Is McD really going to wait that long? Maybe Belichick retires when Brady does, but I think he's more intrigued by seeing if he's still up to the challenge of coaching a winning team without an all-time QB. And sure Belichick is the second oldest coach in the league right now, but he doesn't seem to have missed a beat yet, and is too passionate about football to walk away. He could easily go another 5 or 6 seasons; maybe more.

8 minutes ago, sperry said:

Don't think Carroll or Belichick are good comps to McD at all. McD has been fired from both of his non-Belichick jobs in basically the minimum time possible, not because of performance, but because he is an incurable douche bag that is impossible to work with.

Again, you could say the EXACT same thing about Belichick, only replace Parcells for the "non-Belichick" jobs, and Belichcik was sort of worse because he resigned as the Jets HC .... AFTER ONE DAY!  People literally wrote that they thought he was having a mental breakdown.  

I'm not saying you're wrong that maybe McDaniels is not going to be a great HC.  But the flip side is that this guy has won a SB, and has the unqualified confidence of both Tom Brady AND Bill Belichick who are both utter control freaks.  He has done a lot with this offense outside of just "THROWTHEBALLTOGRONK!" and I think he can do more.  

He got the Denver job when he was wayyyyyyy too young and not ready for that sort of responsibility (again, much like Carroll).  I think he has a chance to be a quality coach.  

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I wish I could find a You Tube replay or something. It looked pretty damn blatant to me upon first look. I also thought it was a smart hold, as the play took awhile to develop, and it looked like Harrison was going to get to Smith. Better the hold there than the sack.

This link provides some good views of the play. 

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/15/14282814/eric-fisher-alex-smith-two-point-conversion-steelers-vs-chiefs

11 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I know my opinion might be considered less than objective but that's a hold regardless of Harrison falling to the ground or not. I wouldn't argue the idea that him falling was what caused the flag to be thrown though. I've watched Harrison play his entire career not getting calls like that, so it was nice to finally see one called his way. 

I hear you. I've see it called both ways. I know it's happened to Whitworth before (funny enough, against the Steelers). Think the issue I have is that I see it not being called infinitely more than it's called. It's fairly common. The addition of Harrison falling down made it look a lot worse than it was.

I will say, I still think the Steelers win even if it wasn't called. There is little chance they don't drive down and kick a field goal.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

Is McD really going to wait that long? Maybe Belichick retires when Brady does, but I think he's more intrigued by seeing if he's still up to the challenge of coaching a winning team without an all-time QB. And sure Belichick is the second oldest coach in the league right now, but he doesn't seem to have missed a beat yet, and is too passionate about football to walk away. He could easily go another 5 or 6 seasons; maybe more.

I think a lot of people could die waiting for Belichick to retire.  I think that there is a MUCH greater chance that Belichick retires AFTER Brady, than the other way around.  I think that when Brady leaves THAT may be the chance McDaniels uses to leave.  

I do think, though, that everyone in the Pats organization loves Josh.  Ownership, the QB and the HC.  I think he has a great rep and that he knows football.  I think that the environment at Gillette is very conducive to be a coach and that ownership may be very pleased to slip in Belichick 2.0. I think he knows how other organizations work and operate and knows that what the Pats do is special.  He probably doesn't want to go to a place that resembles a clown college.  

Not to say that's what happened with the 49ers; just that may be an encouragement to Josh to stick around until Belichick leaves.  

Belichick has given almost no hint of when he'll be done.  The closest he did was in NFL's "A Football Life" when he said that he doesn;t want to end up "like Marv Levy" and coach until he's 80.  

Belichick loves football and loves football players so I would bet that he sticks around for a bit.   

22 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I hear you. I've see it called both ways. I know it's happened to Whitworth before (funny enough, against the Steelers). Think the issue I have is that I see it not being called infinitely more than it's called. It's fairly common. The addition of Harrison falling down made it look a lot worse than it was.

I will say, I still think the Steelers win even if it wasn't called. There is little chance they don't drive down and kick a field goal.

Yeah the inconsistency of such calls really is frustrating. It's like trying to judge what is considered a catch anymore. You see so many examples of calls going one certain way all season long, or over multiple seasons, and then in a crucial moment the same play that's been overlooked hundreds of times gets called. 

10 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

That's a blatant hold. His left arm is stretched all the way across Harrison's neck and his holding his right shoulder pad. That should be called every time. If you see it, you have to call it.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's a blatant hold. His left arm is stretched all the way across Harrison's neck and his holding his right shoulder pad. That should be called every time. If you see it, you have to call it.

Eh, we see that often and it's not called. If Harrison plants his foot, he gets pushed and I doubt it gets called. The reason it was called is because the ref thought Fisher brought Harrison down which he didn't do. That arm bar and push from the side is so common against edge rushers. It's how they allow the QB to step up. Whitworth does it often and only gets called once in a rare while (generally to negate a big play...).

Anyway, not going to argue it anymore. Renly gets to the heart of the matter for me. It's the inconsistency of the calls that bother me less so then the actual call against Fisher. Much to Ross' dismay, the link in the previous sentence shows examples of Steelers holding early in season that went uncalled. They didn't have a single holding call against them in that game and it was a major issue. If you watch that and watch other Steelers games, you'll see why it annoyed me to see something that I deem marginal get called in such a big time situation.

8 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Le'Veon Bell had almost the exact same game, in terms of rushing, against Miami and KC. Against Miami he gained 167 yards on 29 carries, and his numbers against KC were 170 yards on 30 carries. He's certainly enjoyed his first playoff experience. 

Hopefully he waits until after the SB to (cough cough) "celebrate".

5 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Wait... THE BROWNS CUT DION LEWIS!  They traded for him and then cut him?  So did Indy... 

To be fair...

Cleveland Browns[edit]

On April 11, 2013, Lewis was traded to the Cleveland Browns for linebacker Emmanuel Acho.[25] He missed the entire season due to a fractured fibula. He was cut by the Cleveland Browns on August 30, 2014.

Indianapolis Colts[edit]

Lewis signed with the Indianapolis Colts on September 9, 2014.[26] He was released on September 16.

Emmanuel Acho didn't play until the 2014-15 season (Eagles resigned him off of NYG practice squad) after Kiko Alonso's injury.

Archived