NFL Divisional Playoffs: 3 games and Brady

Lord Lyman

47 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Do Steeler fans like to cite this "Super Bowls in the last decade" statistic because then they can claim two championships while the Pats have one?

I see this a lot in comment threads. I wonder about the logistics too. Will you feel sad in a year when the ref-assisted victory over the Seahawks doesn't count in your metric any more, or will Pittsburgh's preferred window of relevance merely extend to include it? And would you be more likely to buy a workout video entitled Seven Minute Abs over the Eight Minute Abs?

Someone in this thread had already mentioned a ten year time frame. I was just going with that, what do you feel is an appropriate time frame? Why do you care so much? For me stuff that happened over a decade ago is a long time, I haven't lived through that many so one decade is a third of my life, and going back to a time when I was still in high school (2000-2004) doesn't seem relevant to me. Besides Brady and Belichek is there even another player on the team that played back then?

Can we avoid handing out ref-assisted victories in this thread please? Again I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate me or anyone else doing the same to your team. 

ETA: My mistake, I couldn't find anyone else mentioning a ten year time frame. I guess that's just how I'm used to dividing time periods up. Most people aren't looking back on the past 17 years, or whatever the number is for Brady's career. I am not opposed to trying your way though, which I'm going to assume is to look at a players full career?

9 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Someone in this thread had already mentioned a ten year time frame. I was just going with that, what do you feel is an appropriate time frame? Why do you care so much? For me stuff that happened over a decade ago is a long time, I haven't lived through that many so one decade is a third of my life, and going back to a time when I was still in high school (2000-2004) doesn't seem relevant to me. Besides Brady and Belichek is there even another player on the team that played back then?

Can we avoid handing out ref-assisted victories in this thread please? Again I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate me or anyone else doing the same to your team. 

I brought it up because I literally just read sone comments from Steelers fans on a Pro Football Talk article about how the Steelers actually have more championships in the last ten years than the Patriots... So yeah, when you say "only one championship in the last ten years" it does make me wonder if you guys send these sad little Unskewed Super Bowl history memes around to each other.

Except, oops, the XL victory came in 2006, almost 11 years ago, so I guess it's an equal number of championships in the last ten years. So Steelers fans will have to come up with some other rubric to illustrate your team's heretofore unacknowledged dominance over recent history.

54 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Do Steeler fans like to cite this "Super Bowls in the last decade" statistic because then they can claim two championships while the Pats have one?

I see this a lot in comment threads. I wonder about the logistics too. Will you feel sad in a year when the ref-assisted victory over the Seahawks doesn't count in your metric any more, or will Pittsburgh's preferred window of relevance merely extend to include it? And would you be more likely to buy a workout video entitled Seven Minute Abs over the Eight Minute Abs?

I don't, but I know there are Steeler fans out there that love using that stat like it's some sort of validation for them. Anyways, the 2005 season is already past the "Super Bowls in the last decade" statistic now, so technically it's even at one each if it really matters. Not sure if you're trying to stir things up here or not with this comment, but if that's the case, I'm not interested.

Eight Minute Abs does roll off the tongue better...:D

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I brought it up because I literally just read sone comments from Steelers fans on a Pro Football Talk article about how the Steelers actually have more championships in the last ten years than the Patriots... So yeah, when you say "only one championship in the last ten years" it does make me wonder if you guys send these sad little Unskewed Super Bowl history memes around to each other.

Except, oops, the XL victory came in 2006, almost 11 years ago, so I guess it's an equal number of championships in the last ten years. So Steelers fans will have to come up with some other rubric to illustrate your team's heretofore unacknowledged dominance over recent history.

I do not go to any other forum but this one. Take your childish act and move on man. Time to grow up. Nothing that I've posted today has been to shine light on the poor under loved Steelers. I do not think my team has been the dominant team of the last decade, I think the Patriots have been. I don't however think they've been so dominant as to accrue the jealousy and hatred of the entire ownership of the NFL. I guess you do. Sorry I hold a different opinion. 

One potentially valid reason, though I have no idea if its true, would be if the Steelers have more players left on their roster from their titles than the Patriots do from their first three (its just Brady, right?). It doesn't mean the Steelers have a more talented roster than the Patriots do, but I guess it would mean something. At the very least that the current Steelers have much connection to their title teams. Though is Ben the rapist the only one left from the first championship?

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

One potentially valid reason, though I have no idea if its true, would be if the Steelers have more players left on their roster from their titles than the Patriots do from their first three (its just Brady, right?). It doesn't mean the Steelers have a more talented roster than the Patriots do, but I guess it would mean something. At the very least that the current Steelers have much connection to their title teams. Though is Ben the rapist the only one left from the first championship?

I think only Roethlisberger and Harrison are left from the XL team, add Gay and Timmons from XLIII. I don't think that would be the reason. 

3 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I do not go to any other forum but this one. Take your childish act and move on man. Time to grow up. Nothing that I've posted today has been to shine light on the poor under loved Steelers. I do not think my team has been the dominant team of the last decade, I think the Patriots have been. I don't however think they've been so dominant as to accrue the jealousy and hatred of the entire ownership of the NFL. I guess you do. Sorry I hold a different opinion. 

I'm not sure you understand the point I was making. If I thought it was you who was solely responsible for the erroneous ten year championship figure, I'd have asked if you were Commenter So and So from some other site. But your comment came right after I saw similar comments from other Steeler fans, so it made me wonder if that's a commonly cited statistic. In much the same way, when I saw Rock referencing Goodell's ridiculous bartender story, I felt pretty certain he listened to the same talk radio I heard this morning (SportsHub guys were hammering away on it), or at least had been talking to people who had. It's interesting to me how things get shared around in fandom.

And thanks to Joe Pesci I have been educated on my simple question. Maybe you should just ignore me if my simple posts are going to make you upset like Mike Tomlin with a busted headset.

With nine teams winning SB over the past 10 years, it is hard to justify declaring any team the dominant one.  The one team that double-dipped is clearly not  - the Giants - have been good but not great.  I don't think you could frame another ten year period and find nine different winners from the SB era.  Maybe, I haven't tried, but I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm not sure you understand the point I was making. If I thought it was you who was solely responsible for the erroneous ten year championship figure, I'd have asked if you were Commenter So and So from some other site. But your comment came right after I saw similar comments from other Steeler fans, so it made me wonder if that's a commonly cited statistic. In much the same way, when I saw Rock referencing Goodell's ridiculous bartender story, I felt pretty certain he listened to the same talk radio I heard this morning (SportsHub guys were hammering away on it), or at least had been talking to people who had. It's interesting to me how things get shared around in fandom.

And thanks to Joe Pesci I have been educated on my simple question. Maybe you should just ignore me if my simple posts are going to make you upset like Mike Tomlin with a busted headset.

All I was responding to was that the ten year period is irrelevant now, and if people want to continue to stretch the window to use the 2 to 1 SB narrative, then that's up to them I guess. I know that I don't use that narrative. Again, I'm not interested into getting into a Pats fans vs Steelers fans thing on here. Just want to be civil and there wasn't any kind of intent in my previous post. Sorry if you thought otherwise man.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

Ben and I guess James Harrison? But the Steelers have changed coaches since XL. Dunno how that affects your assessment.

You're right that it's just Brady and Belichick for the Pats. Well, them and secret mastermind Ernie Adams.

1 hour ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I'm just not seeing how a team that's won one SB in the past decade could be seen in such a light. I can get behind the idea that some of the punishment for Deflategate was to make up for a percieved lighter punishment during Spygate. That's it though, in my mind only Patriots fans believe this idea that the league is out to get them. It's not like they were punished over a regular season game either. Deflategate was the AFC Championship game. I think too often that is just thrown right out the window like it doesn't matter. I do realize my own bias might be clouding my judgement, but that's how I see it. 

ETA: The punishments were too severe, but this is Goodell we are talking about. The guy just throws darts at a board to figure out what is appropriate. 

They've been to I think 5 AFC championship games since 2010, two superbowls, and won one.  That seems pretty dominant to me.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

No I understood your point, you obviously didn't get mine. I'm not going to Steeler forums and swapping stories, I don't search for Steeler fan memes. None of the sports talk radio that I listen to, or the people in my life that I talk to, have ever mentioned that statistic as some way to prove the Steelers are better or have been better at any point over Tom Brady's career. So maybe this will be clearer for you, I don't know what the you are talking about. I'm not Joe Pesci, he's not me, we have different experiences even living in the same city. Imagine that. 

This is sad Dante, quit acting like a child.

Fellas, keep focused on what matters. What does matter is: length times diameter plus weight over girth divided by angle of the tip squared.

Capiche?

29 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I think only Roethlisberger and Harrison are left from the XL team, add Gay and Timmons from XLIII. I don't think that would be the reason. 

Greg Warren was on the XL team too, so he's got two SB rings. Pretty crazy the Steelers have had the same long snapper for 12 years now.

1 minute ago, Joe Pesci said:

Greg Warren was on the XL team too, so he's got two SB rings. Pretty crazy the Steelers have had the same long snapper for 12 years now.

Good catch, I had forgot all about Warren. That is pretty crazy, and it now makes me wonder what the average career span is for a long snapper only. I wonder if anyone has even kept data for it?

14 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

No I understood your point, you obviously didn't get mine. I'm not going to Steeler forums and swapping stories, I don't search for Steeler fan memes. None of the sports talk radio that I listen to, or the people in my life that I talk to, have ever mentioned that statistic as some way to prove the Steelers are better or have been better at any point over Tom Brady's career. So maybe this will be clearer for you, I don't know what the you are talking about. I'm not Joe Pesci, he's not me, we have different experiences even living in the same city. Imagine that. 

This is sad Dante, quit acting like a child.

All I did was ask if the statistic was cited among Steelers fans. Apparently it is, though I shan't make the mistake of thinking any honorable Steelers fans on this board hold truck by it! Except probably Ross. Ross probably brings it up a lot, huh?

So I misunderstood your intent in bringing up the ten year figure. I did not mean to suggest you are some deep and thoughtless imbiber of Steeler propaganda, but it seemed reasonable to ask if a Steeler fan had heard a statistic cited by other Steeler fans. Forgive me for not fulsomely acknowledging the wide variety of media consumption strategies and life experiences among special snowflake Steeler fans! My goodness. I don't get a bug up my ass about Tawmee from Quinzee jokes, get the suffering fuck over yourself.

11 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Good catch, I had forgot all about Warren. That is pretty crazy, and it now makes me wonder what the average career span is for a long snapper only. I wonder if anyone has even kept data for it?

This also makes me wonder about a random stat; which team has the most players with a Super Bowl ring? It doesn't have to be a ring they won with that team, just that they ever won at least one. 

Its probably the Broncos, since its only been a year for them. But I have no idea what kind of turnover they've had outside of their starters.

Also, who is the Robert Horry of the NFL? Is it Adam Vinatieri?

Archived