NFL Divisional Playoffs: 3 games and Brady

Lord Lyman

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Hammy from North Braddock concurs...

How dare you, sir. How DARE you insult such a varied and unique collection of individuals, each with their own miraculously sui generis inner lives. Grow up.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

All I did was ask if the statistic was cited among Steelers fans. Apparently it is, though I shan't make the mistake of thinking any honorable Steelers fans on this board hold truck by it! Except probably Ross. Ross probably brings it up a lot, huh?

So I misunderstood your intent in bringing up the ten year figure. I did not mean to suggest you are some deep and thoughtless imbiber of Steeler propaganda, but it seemed reasonable to ask if a Steeler fan had heard a statistic cited by other Steeler fans. Forgive me for not fulsomely acknowledging the wide variety of media consumption strategies and life experiences among special snowflake Steeler fans! My goodness. I don't get a bug up my ass about Tawmee from Quinzee jokes, get the suffering fuck over yourself.

You didn't mean to suggest what again? Whose words are these?

"So yeah, when you say "only one championship in the last ten years" it does make me wonder if you guys send these sad little Unskewed Super Bowl history memes around to each other."

Then to top it off you end your post with this. I had never once suggested or implied the Steelers were the dominant team of the decade. This was how you responded to me. 

"Except, oops, the XL victory came in 2006, almost 11 years ago, so I guess it's an equal number of championships in the last ten years. So Steelers fans will have to come up with some other rubric to illustrate your team's heretofore unacknowledged dominance over recent history."

So why don't you get the "fuck over yourself". Did Donald Trump take over Dante's forum account?

*Goes to hide comments then realizes he's on the wrong forum*  Seriously, nothing in this world makes you hate humanity quite as much as moderating a sports centric forum.  

Um.....  Cowboys are the best team ever!!!!! Aikman!!!! Irvine!!!! Staubach!!!! :leaving:

Should be an interesting weekend.  Green Bay and Atlanta should be a basketball score of a game (which means take the under.  It won't happen).  The Pats and Steelers both struggled on offense last week, although I'd give the Pats the better chance of bouncing back and not having a meh game in a row (and yes, we're in a world where a meh game is 30 something points against a good defense).  Right now, I'm thinking Atlanta by less than a TD and Pats by at least 7 though.

33 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They've been to I think 5 AFC championship games since 2010, two superbowls, and won one.  That seems pretty dominant to me.

There's no question of the dominance to me, but maybe when people look at the run of the Pats from 2010 to now, that not winning the SB as much as the earlier teams did would be a reason why they may not consider them to be as dominant. Purely speculation on my part. I guess I would have to ask you if you consider it as one long continuous dynasty or broken up into two parts. It really boils down to comparing the Pats to the Pats imo.

The Steelers and Patriots are both amateur cheaters. Why would you need to videotape a Jets practice in order to beat them for the 75th straight time? And trying to trip a return man on live TV? Subtle.  

No, elite cheating involves applying completely made up cap penalties to 2 of your 3 division rivals. If you want to get an actual competitive edge, do what white collar criminals and hide your malfeasance in the banal and intangible. 

56 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

And thanks to Joe Pesci I have been educated on my simple question.

This should be a meme. 

Thanks to Joe Pesci, I have learned the importance of responding to any insult by beating that person to death. 

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

How dare you, sir. How DARE you insult such a varied and unique collection of individuals, each with their own miraculously sui generis inner lives. Grow up.

Anna, Hanna, and Lana from Bedford Dwellings concur?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Hs1-3vOm6eE/TwVh6YlHqeI/AAAAAAAABNc/_xaphQQvanE/s1600/sexy-steelers-fans.jpg

46 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They've been to I think 5 AFC championship games since 2010, two superbowls, and won one.  That seems pretty dominant to me.

I wasn't trying to question that they were and are a dominant team. I was questioning the idea that they were so dominant that the entire league hated them to the point of conspiring to hurt them via a fake scandal which could result in punishment. 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

No, elite cheating involves applying completely made up cap penalties to 2 of your 3 division rivals. If you want to get an actual competitive edge, do what white collar criminals and hide your malfeasance in the banal and intangible.

Those penalties were not completely made up!  The league sent a memo which said quite clearly that "while there is no salary cap in the upcoming year, teams are expected to act like there is one.  Otherwise you risk a penalty of mumble mumble." 

Clear as day!  All professional sports leagues are run on the honor system, right?!  Any team that fails to follow this totally not made up rule is just a cheating cheater who cheats.   

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The Steelers and Patriots are both amateur cheaters. Why would you need to videotape a Jets practice in order to beat them for the 75th straight time?

Hey now. Let's not sully the Jets' more than they deserve here. At the time of Spygate, the Jets had won the last regular season game they'd played against the Patriots; breaking a streak of 7 straight losses. Obviously the Patriots would not stand for such temerity against their hegemony.

6 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I wasn't trying to question that they were and are a dominant team. I was questioning the idea that they were so dominant that the entire league hated them to the point of conspiring to hurt them via a fake scandal which could result in punishment. 

They're in their second decade of dominance.  BB took over the Pats in 2000.  That's why the rest of the league hates them.  Plus, thanks largely to Goodell, they don't have the national appeal that the Giants or Cowboys or pre-York 49ers have....so them being dominant doesn't help the league in the same way.

8 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The Steelers and Patriots are both amateur cheaters. Why would you need to videotape a Jets practice in order to beat them for the 75th straight time? And trying to trip a return man on live TV? Subtle.  

Hrm. I concede the floor. Ain't no one got nothing on Jones and the Maras.

I think all sports fans of good heart should spend more time shitting on John Mara.

You know, I am constantly surprised that there are seemingly educated people that don't think Deflategate wasn't a giant load of horse****.  

If forensics proves my gun didn't fire the bullet that killed the sheriff and that my DNA doesn't match the killer's sample, they shouldn't be able to convict me despite whatever circumstantial evidence and motive I might have for killing the sheriff (that dirty Redskin fan deserved what he got). 

At the same time, once science proves no air was removed from the balls, the circumstantial evidence means nothing against the Pats.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Hey now. Let's not sully the Jets' more than they deserve here. At the time of Spygate, the Jets had won the last regular season game they'd played against the Patriots; breaking a streak of 7 straight losses. Obviously the Patriots would not stand for such temerity against their hegemony.

Fair point. Once, "Mangenius" was meant unironically and he was considered a real threat. Dude even had a Sopranos cameo.

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Thanks to Joe Pesci, I have learned the importance of responding to any insult by beating that person to death. 

Thanks to Joe Pesci, I have learned that a deer paw is called a hoof.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well, except for the fact that you can't prove that, as the measurements were hopelessly botched in the first place.

If the league's "random" testing of air pressure helped the case against the Patriots they would have released the data, since they have not done so, there is a 100% chance that the data further show that it was BS, at best, stupidity, at worst, a frame up.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Fair point. Once, "Mangenius" was meant unironically and he was considered a real threat. Dude even had a Sopranos cameo.

Like most Jets head coaches (other than the ones who failed immediately), his early success quickly turned into fools gold. But there's no denying that he really infuriated the Patriots (or at least Belichick) and most Patriots fans. Otherwise there wouldn't have been the constant rat-based insults.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

If the league's "random" testing of air pressure helped the case against the Patriots they would have released the data, since they have not done so, there is a 100% chance that the data further show that it was BS, at best, stupidity, at worst, a frame up.

There's no way to make a case one way or the other due to the fact that the baseline readings were botched. Without accurate readings there is nothing to apply the science to.

8 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

You know, I am constantly surprised that there are seemingly educated people that don't think Deflategate wasn't a giant load of horse****.  

If forensics proves my gun didn't fire the bullet that killed the sheriff and that my DNA doesn't match the killer's sample, they shouldn't be able to convict me despite whatever circumstantial evidence and motive I might have for killing the sheriff (that dirty Redskin fan deserved what he got). 

At the same time, once science proves no air was removed from the balls, the circumstantial evidence means nothing against the Pats.

I think the problem is not all scientists agree. Maybe this is just fluff and propaganda, but the guys in this article sound like they believe in what they did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/sports/football/deflategate-new-england-patriots-nfl-science.html?_r=0

Archived