NFL Divisional Playoffs: 3 games and Brady

Lord Lyman

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Like most Jets head coaches (other than the ones who failed immediately), his early success quickly turned into fools gold. But there's no denying that he really infuriated the Patriots (or at least Belichick) and most Patriots fans. Otherwise there wouldn't have been the constant rat-based insults.

I don't remember -- did the rat insults start right away, or was it from reporting Belichick over Spygate? I looked up Mangini on Wikipedia to verify his HC stint with the Jets. Did you know that two of his sons have middle names derived from the Pats? One kid's middle name was Harrison, for Rodney, and the other has William -- for Belichick. That makes his Eternal Enemy status with the Pats seem almost Shakespearean.

His youngest son got the middle name Brett from when he was trying to woo Brett Favre to the team. That may be sadder than the Pats-related names. I'm glad we got Baby Dante's middle name from blood relations.

14 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't remember -- did the rat insults start right away, or was it from reporting Belichick over Spygate? I looked up Mangini on Wikipedia to verify his HC stint with the Jets. Did you know that two of his sons have middle names derived from the Pats? One kid's middle name was Harrison, for Rodney, and the other has William -- for Belichick. That makes his Eternal Enemy status with the Pats seem almost Shakespearean.

His youngest son got the middle name Brett from when he was trying to woo Brett Favre to the team. That may be sadder than the Pats-related names. I'm glad we got Baby Dante's middle name from blood relations.

Not sure if that's any worse than Rex Ryan having a tattoo of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey. Something in that New Jersey water...

At least Rex got the tattoo altered after his fired, from green to dark blue (hope he was a fan of Bills punter Colton Schmidt). Not sure what he can do now that the Bills fired him too though; maybe hope to get hired by the Raiders?

Browns to have $108 million in cap space

The link shows how much each team is rolling over from this year to next years' cap. There's also a link to sportrac in the article showing their projections for cap space. What really stood out in looking at the sportrac page was that the Cowboys have $115 million committed to their offense alone going into 2017. Pretty neat breakdown for those interested.

41 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Thanks to Joe Pesci, I learned the importance of not allowing your brother's wife to suck your cock.

33 minutes ago, Week said:

Thanks to Joe Pesci, I have learned that a deer paw is called a hoof.

Joe Pesci has taught us so much! 

55 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Those penalties were not completely made up!  The league sent a memo which said quite clearly that "while there is no salary cap in the upcoming year, teams are expected to act like there is one.  Otherwise you risk a penalty of mumble mumble." 

Clear as day!  All professional sports leagues are run on the honor system, right?!  Any team that fails to follow this totally not made up rule is just a cheating cheater who cheats.   

I keep forgetting pinky swear agreements are legally binding and failing to illegally collude against the NFLPA is punishable. It almost seems like the NFL makes up rules as they go and isn't always above board. Fortunately the extent they've made me aware of the existence of both women and the armed forces, and the unquestionable good that such awareness brings, easily outstrips any questions I have about the integrity of the men who run this fine league. 

53 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Mangini's story about that time makes sense and jives true with me.  

HE states that when he was prepping for the game he notified the Jets GM/Owner or somebody up the food chain that the Pats were known to tape signals during the game.  Here I think its important to recall what was actually illegal during Spygate- its NOT illegal to tape your opponent's signals; its NOT illegal to decipher your opponent's signals.  It IS however illegal o tape your opponent's signals and then USE those signals during the game they were taped.  You also could only do the taping in specially designated areas.  

So the NFL had promulgated memos about this during the 2006 season; most likely because everyone was doing it.  

Mangini stated to the owner/GM that Belichick would likely tape signals during the game and outside the designated areas.  So he told ownership about this to be n the look out for it during the game.  According to Mangini he NEVER intended for any punishment to befall the Pats.  He expected Jets' security to uncover the taping, get the Pats to stop and that would be the end of it.  But Jets Ownership were operating on a different level.  The Jets, as we know, hate the Pats for many reasons, but they hate Belichick especially for his decision to resign one day after being named the head coach.  

So the Jets were certain to bring this to the NFL's attention in the hopes of starting a major scandal, something they succeeded in doing.  

I don't think Mangini foresaw this; he just wanted the Pats to not have an undue advantage IN THIS GAME!  I really do not believe he foresaw what would happen.  

To this day, Belichick hates Mangini.  And I think one of the reasons he hates Mangini is because Mangini SHOULD have known what a shit show this would become.  And Mangini showed poor judgment in that area.  Now, while I can see that ... it does not forgive Belichick for doing the deed in the first place.  I think Belichick's arrogance got the better of him as did his idea that EVERYONE ELSE in the NFL are fucking morons (... No'mally True).  

I have said this many times before, but when Kraft learned of all this he spoke to Belichick about this and asked him (paraphrase) "On a scale of 1 to 100, how much of an advantage do you think this gave us?"  To which Belichick answered "One."

To which Kraft responded, "Then you're a schmuck."  

Agreed,

The NFL owners got angry because they felt that Belihick - a deeply unpopular coach - should have been punished more harshly, including a potential suspension.  The fact that Goodell did not do that sent them off the rails believing that Goodell favored the Pats and let them off "easy."  I think losing a #1 pick is always harsh, but regardless, it was what the owners thought.  And I think that that had a huge impacvt on Deflategate.  

Oh, and the Jets have always sucked.  

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How is this guy one of the highest paid people in sports media? 

I dvr'd his show on Monday just to see how ridiculous it would be after "his Dallas Cowboys" lost. The start of the show was 20+ minutes of pathetic bullshit and whining about penalties and how Rodgers wasn't that good. It was like watching a 5 year old who had his toy taken away from him bitch up a storm on national television.

41 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Mangini's story about that time makes sense and jives true with me.  

I can buy that story and almost sympathize with Mangini, because Belichick put him in a shitty situation -- tell on your old boss to your new boss. I remember at the time that the Mangini situation was unique among Belichick assistants. Usually he gives them his blessing or at least remains neutral when people leave, no hard feelings. McDaniels was welcomed back from Denver, for instance. But scuttlebutt at the time was that Belichick told him not to take the Jets job, and that Mangini's departure pissed him off before signal taping became a thing.

I guess the hatred flows both ways between Belichick and the Jets. Players have commented that there's just something different about Jets week. Makes me wonder what made Belichick decide to resign as HC of the NYJ the way he did. I imagine he doesn't respect Woody Johnson, but there's gotta be more than that...

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How is this guy one of the highest paid people in sports media? 

I think it is much more likely than not that he is deliberately making controversial statements for the sake of attention. He could have said that he'd take Brady over Rodgers in the last 2 minutes and had a plausible argument -- probably wrong, but plausible. Instead, he pitted somebody who is currently playing minor league baseball against the Hail Mary King to make an argument that is prima facie absurd to everyone except maybe Tebow fans. I can't prove that he's doing it on purpose, but it seems pretty likely (especially since the show is an argument between two people and the other guy gets to correct him).

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

I think it is much more likely than not that he is deliberately making controversial statements for the sake of attention. He could have said that he'd take Brady over Rodgers in the last 2 minutes and had a plausible argument -- probably wrong, but plausible. Instead, he pitted somebody who is currently playing minor league baseball against the Hail Mary King to make an argument that is prima facie absurd to everyone except maybe Tebow fans. I can't prove that he's doing it on purpose, but it seems pretty likely (especially since the show is an argument between two people and the other guy gets to correct him).

Pretty much. It's been a winning formula for many. I mean what will he say next!!?

5 hours ago, Altherion said:

Omg, HE'S one of the guys in the show that keeps being advertised during NFL games where the two hosts argue heatedly with each other about football? Aw, I thought that show looked like it might be a little bit of a fun way to pass the time (recent life circumstances have led to a significant increase in the amount of control I have over my personal time), but if that guy is a co-host, fuck that. You know there won't actually stimulating debate because that guy is clearly a) a fake constructed moron persona that can't say anything intelligent by design, or b) an actual fucking idiot. 

47 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Omg, HE'S one of the guys in the show that keeps being advertised during NFL games where the two hosts argue heatedly with each other about football? Aw, I thought that show looked like it might be a little bit of a fun way to pass the time (recent life circumstances have led to a significant increase in the amount of control I have over my personal time), but if that guy is a co-host, fuck that. You know there won't actually stimulating debate because that guy is clearly a) a fake constructed moron persona that can't say anything intelligent by design, or B) an actual fucking idiot. 

Yeah, Bayless is on the Fox version of the show.  The ESPN one with Steven A Smith is just as bad, only he isn't a Tebow/Cowboys fan so some people don't think he's as bad as Bayless.  If you like it, no one will (openly) judge you.  Just please don't cite anything.  I'd rather cite bathroom graffiti as sports opinion before anything out of Bayless' or Smith's mouths.

14 hours ago, Fez said:

Not sure if that's any worse than Rex Ryan having a tattoo of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey. Something in that New Jersey water...

At least Rex got the tattoo altered after his fired, from green to dark blue (hope he was a fan of Bills punter Colton Schmidt). Not sure what he can do now that the Bills fired him too though; maybe hope to get hired by the Raiders?

Maybe do a cross over show with Tattoo Nightmares and get a cover up!

14 hours ago, Altherion said:

Most sports opinion commentators do this, and Bayless is as guilty as they come. However, he was being dead serious in that tweet, which highlights why he's a joke. 

15 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Magnificent quote function, giving me the quote box from a post I already posted!

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Most sports opinion commentators do this, and Bayless is as guilty as they come. However, he was being dead serious in that tweet, which highlights why he's a joke. 

Has anyone ever seen Skip Bayless and Ann Coulter in the same room?

Just caught a clip of Belichick being interviewed from yesterday, which only reaffirmed my stance that he's hands down the best interview in all of sports.

When asked if he thought there was an advantage of playing at home in the playoffs, he replied after a few seconds of staring at the guy "I don't know, why don't you ask Dallas or Kansas City." Fucking classic.

Just been reported that Trump has nominated Woody Johnson to be ambassador to the UK. I'm really hoping that'll mean he'll be spending most of his time in London and won't have time to interfere with the Jets for the next few years.

No idea if the current front office is up to the task of doing anything; but Johnson has not been an asset in all his years.

Archived