Tyrion's Condition

One-eyed Misbehavin

When Jon Con rescues him from the river Tyrion is described as having a lungful of greyscale water. We know JonCon contracted the illness and we also know that there are many more cases from what we see and also from lomas longstrider.

When discussing Tyrion's future people often forget or at least don't mention the fact he could be dying from the inside-out. 

I find it very concerning Haldon taught him to poke his toes and fingers with a knife and that Tyrion still does this from time to time (obviously he's never mentioned losing feeling)

MY QUESTION IS DO YOU BELIEVE THE GREYSCALE WILL PLAY INTO HIS ARC AT ALL? 

I personally could see Tyrion getting his (long overdue) moment for defending KL at blackwater and will get some kind of "humanitarian award" before dying. But I really don't see Tyrion dying 

I don't believe he isn't infected with greyscale. I'm not sure how long the greyscale can stay in your body without showing symptons, but since Jon Connington was infected in the same time as Tyrion and his skin is already turning grey, I believe he is saf.

35 minutes ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:
35 minutes ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I don't think Tyrion is getting grey scale for two reasons. 1) Of course it always hard to tell the time lapse in these books but it seems like it's been months since the incident. I think if were going to catch greyscale he would've shown symptoms by now. 2) JonCon has greyscale & could potentially spread it in Westeros. What would be the literary purpose of giving two characters greyscale. Whatever is going to come from greyscale can be done with one character. 

Lim much more concerned about Tyrion and the bloody flux than grey scale. But I think he survives all of the books.

Well:

"How long must I continue to torture myself? When will we be certain that I'm clean?"

"Truly?" said the Halfmaester. "Never. You swallowed half the river. You may be going grey even now, turning to stone from inside out, starting with your heart and lungs."

I'd say that this is some form of confirmation that you can get greyscale, and not have the symptoms show up (on the outside of your body, at least) until much later. I'd say it's very possible he has greyscale. I'd say it's very likely, in fact. He was in the water for longer than Jon, and he was drowning in it, too, unlike Jon. He was also touched by the stone man.

Of course, it's also perfectly possible that he didn't contract greyscale. It's impossible to tell, at this point.

The realm he rules will get greyscale, a mass plague, and he will close the gates to them and leave them to die. That's how greyscale will play into his arc. It's the meaning of his black and white dream/vision after Blackwater.

4 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

The realm he rules will get greyscale, a mass plague, and he will close the gates to them and leave them to die. That's how greyscale will play into his arc. It's the meaning of his black and white dream/vision after Blackwater.

That could be the final episode that finally allows the lower class revolution that has been hinted at. It isn't out the realm of possibility (considering the twists and death that GGRM likes to play) that something like that serves as the ultimate catalyst for an end to the reign of the nobility of Westeros. LF is creating chaos with no known end game really, so maybe we end with a complete upheaval of societal structure?

From just before Tyrion went into the water...

The mortal form of greyscale began in the extremities, he knew: a tingling in a fingertip, a toenail turning black, a loss of feeling. As the numbness crept into the hand, or stole past the foot and up the leg, the flesh stiffened and grew cold and the victim's skin took on a greyish hue, resembling stone. He had heard it said that there were three good cures for greyscale: axe and sword and cleaver. Hacking off afflicted parts did sometimes stop the spread of the disease, Tyrion knew, but not always. Many a man had sacrificed one arm or foot, only to find the other going grey. Once that happened, hope was gone. Blindness was common when the stone reached the face. In the final stages the curse turned inward, to muscles, bones, and inner organs. 

Tyrion V, Dance 18

So, we are told that greyscale works it's way inward. Are we ever told greyscale works it's way outward? 

35 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

So, we are told that greyscale works it's way inward. Are we ever told greyscale works it's way outward? 

"When will we be certain that I'm clean?"

"Truly?" said the Halfmaester. "Never. You swallowed half the river. You may be going grey even now, turning to stone from inside out, starting with your heart and lungs. If so, pricking your toes and bathing in vinegar will not save you. When you're done, come have some broth."--aDwD, Tyrion VI

So it is, at least, a possibility.

2 minutes ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

"When will we be certain that I'm clean?"

"Truly?" said the Halfmaester. "Never. You swallowed half the river. You may be going grey even now, turning to stone from inside out, starting with your heart and lungs. If so, pricking your toes and bathing in vinegar will not save you. When you're done, come have some broth."--aDwD, Tyrion VI

So it is, at least, a possibility.

Yes! After I saw this topic, I had that in mind, but I couldn't find it, so I assumed I had made it up. Thanks! 

And yes, @jthurman14, if this is happening to Tyrion, then he could be the great stone beast breathing shadow fire. That would make him, or something about him, a lie that Daenerys will slay. But don't we then have to relate Tyrion to the other two lies--the blued eyed king and the mummer's dragon? 

1 hour ago, jthurman14 said:

That Tyrion is the stone beast taking wing (from the hotud visions) would play into him contracting Greyscale.

I'm assuming that's the role JonCon would take. Do we really need two stone beasts. JonCon could be a red herring but I don't think so. He's in much more of a position to wreak havoc with his greyscale since he's already in Westeros and will probably come in contact with a lot of people during faegon's conquest where'd it could be a problem with by the time Dany & by extension Tyrion get to Westeros. 

4 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Yes! After I saw this topic, I had that in mind, but I couldn't find it, so I assumed I had made it up. Thanks! 

No problem.  I always get frustrated when trying to remember where certain passages are and/or if I have made stuff up in my mind..haha

5 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Tyrion does not have it. He went in the water at the same time as Jon con, and Jon has it.  

What in the world does that prove?

By your reckoning, it's not possible for Tyrion to have it because Jon has it?  

We KNOW that JonCon has it, and they were in the same water.  Wouldn't it be MORE likely that Tyrion does have it?  I'm not saying that he does, but your reasoning is a little puzzling to me.

Is it possible that Tyrion does not have it because dragons don't get sick. Sigh, I know I am stepping in that crackpot hidden dragon territory here, but, maybe there is something to it??? I mean, if Dany was only having her moonblood at the end of Dance, then she could be speaking the truth in this quote. Just a thought.

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys VI

Ser Barristan wrinkled up his nose, and said, "Your Grace should not be here, breathing these black humors."
"I am the blood of the dragon," Dany reminded him. "Have you ever seen a dragon with the flux?" Viserys had oft claimed that Targaryens were untroubled by the pestilences that afflicted common men, and so far as she could tell, it was true. She could remember being cold and hungry and afraid, but never sick.

8 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Is it possible that Tyrion does not have it because dragons don't get sick. Sigh, I know I am stepping in that crackpot hidden dragon territory here, but, maybe there is something to it??? I mean, if Dany was only having her moonblood at the end of Dance, then she could be speaking the truth in this quote. Just a thought.

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys VI

Ser Barristan wrinkled up his nose, and said, "Your Grace should not be here, breathing these black humors."
"I am the blood of the dragon," Dany reminded him. "Have you ever seen a dragon with the flux?" Viserys had oft claimed that Targaryens were untroubled by the pestilences that afflicted common men, and so far as she could tell, it was true. She could remember being cold and hungry and afraid, but never sick.

You brought it up, not I.....:D

Yes, as far as I can remember from the text and tWoIaF, the only disease that has afflicted Targaryens is madness.  Can anyone confirm this?

I thought about this as well.  While there are a lot of "ifs" in it.......IF Tyrion is a dragon, and IF dragons are immune to pestilences......BUT I think there is something to it.

Just now, Wolf of the Steppes said:

You brought it up, not I.....:D

I know. I hang my head in shame :leaving:

Just now, Wolf of the Steppes said:

Yes, as far as I can remember from the text and tWoIaF, the only disease that has afflicted Targaryens is madness.  Can anyone confirm this?

I thought about this as well.  While there is a lot of "ifs" in it.......IF Tyrion is a dragon, and IF dragons are immune to pestilences......BUT I think there is something to it.

Yeah, a lot of IF's could add up to something. I am sure some are herrings and distractions, but when certain things happen to certain characters it is hard not to look deeper. But that is just me ^_^

Archived